Next Gen Consoles Too Weak?

ProClifo
Towards the end of the current generation (X360/PS3), developers have been complaining that the hardware of the consoles are restricting them from innovating new games.

You may think that's going to change with the newer consoles? Well...

Games on the next-gen consoles aren't even able to run at 1080p with a decent frame rate. Battlefield had to be downscaled to 720p. People who saw the game said it looked terrible.

Games on the next gen consoles will have to be downscaled to 720p or 900p.

I know graphics are not what matters the most, but it is a big concern that developers haven't been able to innovate enough in the current generation. The PS4 and X1 are already reaching their limits, and they haven't even been released yet!! This is also going to be the longest generation ever. It will last for 10 years.

More information in this video.

What do you think? Are you concerned about this?

The bloody things are going to be here for the next ten years if they get there way. Game's are already maxing out the consoles. I hope dev's realise and start focusing on pc a little more.

hello

Towards the end of the current generation (X360/PS3), developers have been complaining that the hardware of the consoles are restricting them from innovating new games.

Games on the next-gen consoles aren't even able to run at 1080p with a decent frame rate. Battlefield had to be downscaled to 720p. People who saw the game said it looked terrible.

I know graphics are not what matters the most, but it is a big concern that developers haven't been able to innovate enough in the current generation. The PS4 and X1 are already reaching their limits, and they haven't even been released yet!! This is also going to be the longest generation ever. It will last for 10 years.

The bloody things are going to be here for the next ten years if they get there way. Game's are already maxing out the consoles. I hope dev's realise and start focusing on pc a little more.

I dont care about console graphics since you can port console game to PC and upscale graphics with some additional bells and whistles.

What bothers me is turtle-slow processor from AMD. WHY, GOD WHY?!?!?!?!?

It's so slow that it's going to be holding back all the artificial intelligence upgrades and stuff like that that AFFECTS GAMEPLAY from evolving over years (so slow CPU). If they put some 8-core at 3, maybe 4GHZ that would be good but 1,6-2GHz? YOU KIDDING ME? THIS IS 2013 and we all know AMD CPUs are much slower per clock than Intel...

This is ridiculous... I dont care about console peasant's graphics but i care about gameplay. Do you expect that developers will port from consoles to PC and upgrade for example artificial intelligence to innovate it? Nope.avi, they gunna port it from really slow CPU to much faster CPU without change to the code.

another 5 years of no improvements in gameplay. nice.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

That's the first and most important reason, why i am a PC gamer. The worst part about it is, that nobody cares. Your average Joe will go into the store and buy a PS4 + Games anyways! And as long as the console business produces enough money, nothing will change.

The only way to fix this is moving the masses back to PC gaming, which is basically impossible. Or develop games that require much more powerful consoles. But then again, money...

who cares...

That's the first and most important reason, why i am a PC gamer. The worst part about it is, that nobody cares. Your average Joe will go into the store and buy a PS4 + Games anyways! And as long as the console business produces enough money, nothing will change.

The only way to fix this is moving the masses back to PC gaming, which is basically impossible. Or develop games that require much more powerful consoles. But then again, money...

All that is needed is, a week before the premiere of next-gen consoles, Gabe Newell announces that Half Life 3 will be released today and exclusive only for Linux (no Windows).

how many people would jump ship and get PC with Linux instead of consoles?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I smell massive fanboy...

I smell uneducated hater of truth.

1,6GHz Jaguar is slower than very old CPUs at reasonable frequency.

I dont care about console graphics since you can port console game to PC and upscale graphics with some additional bells and whistles.

What bothers me is turtle-slow processor from AMD. WHY, GOD WHY?!?!?!?!?

It's so slow that it's going to be holding back all the artificial intelligence upgrades and stuff like that that AFFECTS GAMEPLAY from evolving over years (so slow CPU). If they put some 8-core at 3, maybe 4GHZ that would be good but 1,6-2GHz? YOU KIDDING ME? THIS IS 2013 and we all know AMD CPUs are much slower per clock than Intel...

This is ridiculous... I dont care about console peasant's graphics but i care about gameplay. Do you expect that developers will port from consoles to PC and upgrade for example artificial intelligence to innovate it? Nope.avi, they gunna port it from really slow CPU to much faster CPU without change to the code.

another 5 years of no improvements in gameplay. nice.

I was kinda pissed off how they would give such a slow processor for the  newer gen. Why in hell would it be clocked so low? I mean, come on, 3 Ghz isn't impossible, right? AMD can easily achieve HIGH clocks on most of it's CPUs and APUs so why not give it a boost? What they need is better cooling, AND higher clocks. Oh how I wish :(

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I was kinda pissed off how they would give such a slow processor for the  newer gen. Why in hell would it be clocked so low? I mean, come on, 3 Ghz isn't impossible, right? AMD can easily achieve HIGH clocks on most of it's CPUs and APUs so why not give it a boost? What they need is better cooling, AND higher clocks. Oh how I wish :(

Yea... this is ridiculous, just ridiculous. They put a mobile low-wattage low-clock low-power low-everything processor inside of a gaming console which should be a powerhouse.

Both consoles having AMD did concern me as well, maybe this is why there desktop chips have not been too good lately, too busy designing console chips. From what i have read on IGN only 1 of the consoles was downscaled while some devs are supposidly saying they may have to keep one version of a game down to not make a clear devide. I'm not saying which console is which as i don't want to start any fanboy war. I know which i will be getting and mostly its down to the pad i like the most and which company i trust the most

Yea... this is ridiculous, just ridiculous. They put a mobile low-wattage low-clock low-power low-everything processor inside of a gaming console which should be a powerhouse.

"Mobile" got me. That's ridiculous...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

All that is needed is, a week before the premiere of next-gen consoles, Gabe Newell announces that Half Life 3 will be released today and exclusive only for Linux (no Windows).

how many people would jump ship and get PC with Linux instead of consoles?

What if GTA 5 would've been announced for PC only... oooh boy. :D But moves like this will never happen. It would definitley draw the masses closer to PC gaming. But not a single company would do this because the money lies in the console business. :(

And companies like Sony use their monople to sell the consumers a pile of slow CPU trash for 'only' $400 because Fuck the consumer, that's why.

who cares...

Daaaamn, man. You got some fine avatar there! CAPTAIN CLAW! It's a game of my childhood. :D

Food for thought:

The CPU used in the console is a tablet/mobile CPU from AMD (you can check this by a simple google search).

They used this chip because of it's low power usage and heat consumption, to cut costs on heatsinks and such.

If the next-gen consoles are already being maxed and can't hit 1080p on some games, does that mean that they're worse than even older budget PC's (like rich mentioned, they should wipe their asses with 1080p, because even an 8800gt can still play games).

What is the point of all the RAM/SharedVRAM on the consoles then? It clearly seems that it's bottlenecked by the processor, since allegedly the GPU going inside them is not bad in terms of FLOP's (not the only factor, but STILL).

Personally, I don't see this console generation lasting 10 years without some extra hardware being pushed out or something for game developers to really use the GPU/RAM to the max. Or are they?..

Hey guys leave the 9 year olds on xbox live alone. We have GTX 780 and 

$$金Trill金$$

This is completely inaccurate.

Other games such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, KillZone: Shadowfall, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Assassin's Creed 4 and so on all run at 1080p. Check the links if you don't believe me.

Battlefield 4 is the problem. DICE need to work hard on optimising it more for next-gen.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff