Steam Link Review

On 4/20/2016 at 9:47 AM, LewisBloom said:

If you have the right ring then maybe look into network over Power. My own home office where i work everyday is at the back of the home up a floor with the router at the front downstairs. Ive used power sockets for my network for a few years now and had no issues, in fact I am still surprised at why this technology is still so rarely spoken off as in my case at least its been a transformation over using slower wifi kit.

I'll have to look into this as an option. Thanks for the tip!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Got my steam link today spent a few hours gaming today and so long as the PC or Laptop is wired then its brilliant, the steam link is wireless and the pc upstairs is as mentioned on a power/lan socket to downstairs. Played some racing games in the front room and all good. Good lap times too :)

cheers,

Lewis

On 20.4.2016 at 5:20 AM, yumri said:

For a business yes but also i cannot see anything below that being useful in that layout because of price of just running it.

to have 4 players on the gaming rig the gaming rig will have to have either 1 a very powerful GPU setup for them to use or 2 the gaming rig is a GPU server with independent VMs each running an instance of steam. The one of a GPU server makes more sense as it will allow for a 4th VM to be what the player sees when he or she turns on their link. The gaming server of course will cost alot as 4 gaming cards do. 

Because of the heat it will make i cannot see make outside of a server case or liquid cooling that will cool it properly.  For CPUs it will have to be a server motherboard purely for the RAM they will need. assuming normal recommended specs being 4GB and 6GB on newer games the guests will get around 6GB to run both the windows system and the game they are given to play. The networking will be easier if they go with a dual 1Gbps aggravated link instead of a single network link due to how it works inside the system. 

A minimum of a $4,000 USD range gaming computer to run it is alot when you consider you most likely will not be running games on the host computer at all. IF you do want to then the range goes up to around $5,000 USD because of the extra video card. 

The price is so much higher as the price of an extra windows license is included.

I mean playing splitscreen with 2-4 players. I forgot to describe it well. Also they had this system allready. You can see at linustech on instagram (is linked) :

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBq42kASbO9/?taken-by=linustech

ah the 30k system it is a little more than 30k and can support 8 gamers if set up right. Linus did not set it up right and got 7 gamers. It also can support up to 14 other 100% execution VMs. Now as you only need around 40% of a core for a non-gamer maybe you can have alot of people on that 30k machine just 8 of them will have GPUs while the rest IF they even need graphics will run some version of a windows or Linux dumb terminal.  Linus really did not tap its power at all as it could be used for so much more. With it being 30k and having less than a week to work with it it is not uncommon to not know how to ultize it to its full extent. SLI also is not supported on server boards. 

Edit was for spell check

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:15 AM, nicklmg said:

We're a bit late to the party on the Steam Link, but that might not be a bad thing... Are the majority of the Link's known issues a thing of the past?

Your math is wrong for the latency calculation.

Latency is 13 frames on the server and 24 frames on the client with a 240 FPS camera.

Each frame takes: 1000 ÷ 240 = 4.167ms

Server Latency: 13 × 4.167 = 54ms

Client Latency: 24 × 4.167 = 100ms

Instead of calculating the latency, you divided the number of frames by the duration of a frame.

13 ÷ 4.167 = 3.12

24 ÷ 4.167 = 5.76