Fun things to do with Peripherals

So this morning, I spilled this ENTIRE MUG full of hard worked for french press coffee, which I wanted to drink so bad, all over my Black Widow Ultimate (No never got the chroma sadly)  Anyways, the whole cup went into this keyboard.  I quickly unplugged it after spam typing for a second with rage (even tho no characters showed up).  So I cleaned off my desk (which is a playing card table, cause college) and thankfully nothing else got soaked in this delicious coffee.  Anyways It wasn't working, like anyone would do, it took it apart voiding the warranty.  My fingers are still raw from prying up all the keys.  So after i got it stripped to just the green metal and PCB I set it up to a fan to dry, with low expectations.  I had to find a way to kill time and since my keyboard was already apart, I figured I'd clean it, shout out to Slim for that video! (which I had to search for by emailing the alphabet from my phone to myself then copy pasting the letters cause screw on screen keyboard).  So after that I saw the from...Just sitting there....Alone....

So with more time to spare, I walked around the block to the Lowe's right by my house, picked up some spray paint, And went at it.  I like the look, this isn't going on here for your approval just so someone else can do it with a cool idea too.  So reassembled the keyboard after the paint and PCB dried, and somehow it works.  Here you go, the picture of my finished and working "beauty."  

Original / Picture from the internet (didn't take before picture cause I wasn't expecting to spill coffee all over it)

Now (sorry for the LG G3 camera and the mess)

The Perp (yes that is the coffee I was so dearly looking forward to drinking, The picture was taken for snapchat and after it spilled I saved it from my story.)

P.S. I am colorblind, I chose blue cause my H440 is blue (I think) I would LOVE to see other people do fun stuff like this.  I will try to respond ASAP if anyone has any questions, thanks!

Original.JPG

The Perp.jpg

Now.jpg

The one time I spilled coffee over my keyboard I gave it a hearty Isopropyl alcohol bath.

Dries much faster and can even work while drying!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Luke022 said:

I had to search for by emailing the alphabet from my phone to myself then copy pasting the letters cause screw on screen keyboard

I commend the effort sir, but.. is the on screen keyboard really that bad?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I should've done that, but now I get the added bonus of my keyboard smelling like coffe ;) And I didn't have any iso-alcohol

The blue looks good, I think if you had the blue led one it would look better. But good job, and if you like how it looks; that is all that matters.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Just now, Luke022 said:

I should've done that, but now I get the added bonus of my keyboard smelling like coffe ;) And I didn't have any iso-alcohol

Also, the spray paint feels surprisingly good and close to the original bottom plastic, not quite as soft as the top finish but still good. I have long finders anyways so my hands almost never touched the finish anyways.

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I commend the effort sir, but.. is the on screen keyboard really that bad?

I also would've had to send the email to search for the onscreen keyboard anyways because I am not aware of how to get to it through the windows button.

I like razer's stuff in blue better than green.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Luke022 said:

I also would've had to send the email to search for the onscreen keyboard anyways because I am not aware of how to get to it through the windows button.

Right click Windows Start menu > Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Start On-Screen Keyboard

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I did the "mat-your-glossy-plastic" mod with some polishing pads on my BlackWidow , but the paint looks rad as well, congrats on the job :)

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

20 hours ago, Speakerator said:

I did the "mat-your-glossy-plastic" mod with some polishing pads on my BlackWidow , but the paint looks rad as well, congrats on the job :)

Thanks! It was a pretty easy, on the fly thing but it did turn out well.  I wouldnt like the finish on a mouse or anything but it feels fine on the edges.