SATA to USB

ffemterb
Go to solution Solved by shadowbyte,

that's a good option.

Keep in mind it's SATA 1, which is much slower than II or III.

If you have a USB 3 port on your PC, get a SATA III dock, as USB 3.0 is 5gbp/s and SATA III is 6gbp/s, so you'll almost get full speed (though probably not with old drives).

I have some HDDs and SSDs from old computers that I thought I had everything off of. As you can guess, I did not. Does anyone know of a good SATA to USB converter?

I was thinking of getting this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FDLCTQO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1461012117&sr=1-2&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A6022603011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=sata+to+usb&dpPl=1&dpID=41kSzewhamL&ref=plSrch

that's a good option.

Keep in mind it's SATA 1, which is much slower than II or III.

If you have a USB 3 port on your PC, get a SATA III dock, as USB 3.0 is 5gbp/s and SATA III is 6gbp/s, so you'll almost get full speed (though probably not with old drives).

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Personally I would get a storage drive instead, if you haven't already and just open up your computer then unplug a spare sata cable and power connector (eg from your dvd drive if you have one) 

then dump all the data to another drive which has spare storage, that way your not wasting cash on a thing you use once and can chuck the spare drive into a media center build or sell them on ebay etc :)

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

RAM:              Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Boot SSD:        Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA
Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

PSU:               Corsair 750M Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold rated

Monitor 1:       Sony BRAVIA KDL32W705BBU Smart 32" LED TV

Monitor 2:       Samsung 24" S24C300

Keyboard:        Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse:             Roccat TYON

Speakers:         SBS2112 with Bluetooth

Headset:           Turtle Beach Elite 800 Stealth

Thanks for your help guys. I didn't even think of the SATA I vs. SATA III.

16 hours ago, ffemterb said:

~snip~

Hey there ffemterb :)

I would agree with both @shadowbyte and @MrG13. There are plenty of docking stations and external enclosures On the market that could work. For 2.5" drives even a simple SATA to USB cable can work. 

I would check the interfaces of the all drives and ports since SATAI has a limit of 150MB/s and may bottleneck some of the drive's speeds.

What are the drives' specific model numbers? If you are going to reuse them I would strongly suggest that you check their health first before trusting your data to them!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/