Help improve my system performance and overclock

Hey everyone,

I am looking to improve my system performance and overclock my cpu so that I can render animations faster.

Ever since I installed windows 10 it seems my 7 year old laptop actually renders faster than my brand new desktop however this was not the case when I was running windows 8.1 so I am looking to fix whatever they broke. My system specs will be below.

I also recently upgraded to a Corsair h100i gtx CPU cooler and am looking to overclock my system but am unsure about where to start.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core Black Edition (Unlocked)

GPU: AMD Sapphire Dual-x R9 280 3G D5 (overclock ready)

Cooling: Corsair h100i gtx all in one water cooler

RAM: 24GB total  (2- 4GB) (2-8GB)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B Bronze Power Supply

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me!

CPU: Ryzen 3800X  MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)  RAM: Corsair LPX 3200MHz 35GB (2x16) GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 PSU: EVGA  850BQ  COOLING: Noctua NH-D15  CASE: Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White

an FX on a 990 chipset is the best combo for OC (AMD-wise)

You just need to patiently test your OC: first, higher multiplier (just slightly, somethin like +0.5x every time). boot into windows and test for stability. if it passes, add more MHz with the multiplier, if it crashes/BSODs or gives an error, go back into the BIOS and add more voltage. Those are the basics. I think you can reach up to 4.6GHz if you're lucky.

Also, use  MSI afterburner to OC your 280s. Be careful not to exceed the 750W your PSU delivers (OCing increases power consuption, obviously)

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

38 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

an FX on a 990 chipset is the best combo for OC (AMD-wise)

You just need to patiently test your OC: first, higher multiplier (just slightly, somethin like +0.5x every time). boot into windows and test for stability. if it passes, add more MHz with the multiplier, if it crashes/BSODs or gives an error, go back into the BIOS and add more voltage. Those are the basics. I think you can reach up to 4.6GHz if you're lucky.

Also, use  MSI afterburner to OC your 280s. Be careful not to exceed the 750W your PSU delivers (OCing increases power consuption, obviously)

Bump the CPU bus up. It makes the overclock a lot faster than just multiplying it.

CPU: Ryzen 3800X  MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)  RAM: Corsair LPX 3200MHz 35GB (2x16) GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 PSU: EVGA  850BQ  COOLING: Noctua NH-D15  CASE: Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White

HT and CPU-NB make a decent difference (which will increase from bus increase).

I'd set both to x12 and then crank the bus up. 

4.5 on the core should be a cake walk. Heading towards 5 GHz is where you should be set on. 

Update drivers etc. too. 

Just be patient (But not persistent if it fails; stay safe.). You should be able to hit 5ghz with that no problem.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler