will playing through an external HDD hinder game performance?

kraa

Hello 

I currently only have a 60GB SSD from a build about 3 years ago. I also have a 500GB WD external HDD. I was wondering if i store and play games like overwatch and csgo through the external HDD will it hinder performance considerably?

If it does hinder the performance considerably I was going to either buy an 1TB WD BLUE HDD http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461000381&sr=8-3&keywords=hard+drive or an SSD.

I have a fully modular power supply so if i bought that HDD i would also need to buy a SATA 3 cable and a molex cable right?

thanks

1 minute ago, kraa said:

Hello 

I currently only have a 60GB SSD from a build about 3 years ago. I also have a 500GB WD external HDD. I was wondering if i store and play games like overwatch and csgo through the external HDD will it hinder performance considerably?

If it does hinder the performance considerably I was going to either buy an 1TB WD BLUE HDD http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461000381&sr=8-3&keywords=hard+drive or an SSD.

I have a fully modular power supply so if i bought that HDD i would also need to buy a SATA 3 cable and a molex cable right?

thanks

It will, BUT, you can probably pull the drive out of the external case and hook it up like a normal 2.5 inch drive, which wont hinder performance. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

If its usb3.0 or 3.1 or any sata, you'll be fine. USB 2.0 may be laggy though

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

As long as the interface you're using for the external hdd is sufficiently fast enough, performance should be very similar. If you were to get an internal drive, you would need to get a sata cable if you don't have one lying around. Your power supply should have plenty of cables for powering drives. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if the game often takes data from the drive, then it depends on the connection

but most of the cases it will only increase load times slightly

i put my games on my external drive so i can use them in between my laptop and desktop, no issue there

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately