new graphics card installed,freezes pc

matty87

hi guys im having some problems with my newly built pc,i recently purchased the nvidia gtx 750ti graphics card and all of a sudden my pc would freeze every so often with a white or black screen,the pc will still be running but the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive,im running windows 10 and i havent a clue if its the graphics card thats the problem or the operating system.any help would be great.thank you

Have you tried different drivers? I had a similar problem with my amd card and it was solved with a full driver uninstall and reinstall.

Its automatic, just press this button!

no not yet,ill go onto the nvidia website and get a fresh installation,fingers crossed that does the job,do you think this sounds like a card issue and nothing else?i built the pc myself and im hoping i put it together properlly lol.

My card did some crazy stuff to my system before i figured out the problem. It could be a windows issue, in which case i would recommend using the windows 10 media creation tool to do an in place upgrade. This reinstalls the OS without wiping anything.

ok that sounds good,how do i go about doing that?could you talk me through it,thanks

+1 on fresh install of Windows.

It is very simple to use a USB drive and create an install drive. Of course you will need to back up anything you want to keep. I usually use a fresh install as an excuse to get rid of programs and files that I don't actually need/use.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

Go to Microsoft's website and it walks you through the steps. Google "Windows 10 creation tool". You need a USB drive of at least 8GB (I normally use a 16gb for no particular reason).

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

7 minutes ago, matty87 said:

ok that sounds good,how do i go about doing that?could you talk me through it,thanks

5 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

Go to Microsoft's website and it walks you through the steps. Google "Windows 10 creation tool". You need a USB drive of at least 8GB (I normally use a 16gb for no particular reason).

You don't acually need a drive at all. Just select upgrade this pc now. It will download windows 10 and install it like you are updating from 7 or 8. Here is the tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

11 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

You don't acually need a drive at all. Just select upgrade this pc now. It will download windows 10 and install it like you are updating from 7 or 8. Here is the tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Will this method allow him to format and do a clean install?

this method uninstalls drivers and leaves programs and files. It is useful if you broke something, have a virus, or are having driver or other system file issues.

ive just downloaded the tool but its not letting me finish the instalation because i dont have the right edition of the version of windows currently installed on ur pc isnt supported by this tool.what does that mean?

You can do it the way suggested by jonathan13

that will work just fine although some programs may be uninstalled so keep a backup of program files and program files (x86).

Use the creation tool to put the install on a USB drive. Once you have it on the drive, restart your computer and when the screen first comes on, you will have two options of buttons to press.

1. [DEL] - this takes you to BIOS

2. [F12] - this takes you to boot options (sometimes it is a different key such as [ESC])

You want to go to boot options and then select the USB drive that you made with the creation tool.