Help me find the right camera:)

Go to solution Solved by Infernal Burrito,
On 4/18/2016 at 2:20 PM, TriFlix Films said:

Thanks for the suggestion. My primary goal after the week in Europe is to create Cinematic Action shorts for YouTube. Since it won't be generating income, renting seems like an impractical option. I don't have a filmmaking team so the simpler the set up, the better. I think the 120 fps in 720 with be acceptable on YouTube and the 4k will be a great asset when transforming shots in post. 

Again, it sucks the NX500 doesn't have external audio but most professionals would suggest an external recorder anyway. I think I'll try buying a used NX500 and with the money I save, buy a mic and external recorder. This will make it easier to upgrade to the GH5 when it releases as I will have a B-Roll camera already, a good mic, and an external recorder.

APS-C offers better image quality and dynamic range in my experience when dealing with the sub $1000 cameras.

I am really interested in the a6300, but the cost of $1150 is nearly triple the cost of a used NX500 and the price doesn't offset what I would gain. I know the Samsung line is dead, but it's not like the camera stopped working. For $300 its practically a steal haha.

If you can get an NX1 that cheap, and are OK with the lack of lenses, I would say go for it. For the money you save, you could get some really nice accessories and lenses like the S series lenses (the best of the best for NX, as far as I am aware). Over the NX500, it has uncropped 4k video, a mic jack, a top display (relevant for photo, less so for video), and some more features. The a6300 is better than it in low light and it is not restricted to HEVC and has the option of recording S-Log which, unlike Samsung's alternative flat profile, has lots of support from the community with LUTs and guides on how to best take advantage of it. That is, not to mention E-Mount's colossal selection of lenses compared to NX, as well as the ability of the a6300 to easily adapt Canon lenses with full electronic support. However, the NX cameras have touchscreens and a potentially nicer UI, as well as having no issues with overheating (though overheating is a minor issue with the a6300 from my experience).

So, I've been a YouTuber for 2 years now and have yet to buy a real camera. I usually just borrow or use my phone and that worked great. But lately my Samsung Note 4 has been dying at 40%+ unexpectedly and is all around unreliable. I hate always asking to use other's high end cameras so its time to buy one.

• I leave for Europe in less than a month and would like to purchase it before then. 
  • Price range: Under $800 (Preferred, but I could spend more and just open a credit line and pay it off over a couple of months at 0% APR)
  • I really want to be able to shoot 4K as well as 120fps or higher at 1080p
  • And external mic jack would be great

My research has lead me to the following, but please suggest more:

• Samsung NX1
    • Meets requirements
    • A little over budget $1150
  • Sony RX100 IV 
    • 1000fps at 1080p
    • no audio input
    • a little over budget $1000
  • Sony a6300
    • Meets requirements
    • a little over budget $1500
  • Lumix GH4
    • 1080p at 96 fps
    • a little over budget $1150
  • NX500
    • 4k but heavily cropped
    • 120fps at 720p HD
    • no audio input
    • Significantly cheaper $500

This camera will be my primary until I can afford a real $2000-$7000 production camera. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend this. I've seen a few youtubers (Tech Yes City comes to mind, probably more). 4k video with a decent stock lens, a similar sensor to the GH4, and the same lens options as the GH4, or any other M4/3 (as well as speedboosters) for $600? Sounds good to me. As seen here, it is comparable to the GH4 at half the price with a lens. 

I like good humans and good food

I would see @ALwin's guides about video camera vs DSLR.

If you want 120fps for 1080, it narrows your options quite a bit as for DSLR's/Mirrorless cameras...

Here are a few that might work for you I know of:

• Pansonic G7
    • UHD @ 30/40p
    • FHD @ 60p
    • 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Input
  • Sony α6300
    • UHD @ 30/40p
    • FHD @ 60p
  • GoPro Hero 4 Black
    • Although its not a proper camera, it can do what you are asking for...
    • UHD @ 30p
    • FHD @ 120p
    • No Audio Input (Requires external recorder...)
  • Canon 70D
    • FHD @ 30p
  • Nikon D5500
    • UHD @ 60p
  • Canon G1X Mk II
    • FHD @ 30p
    • No Audio In
  • Canon G7X Mk II
    • FHD @ 60p
    • No Audio In

I have recently looked into a slew of cameras and camcorders for the school I attend and have made a spreadsheet with lots of options. Link here.

I question why you need/want frame rates like 120fps.. what are you using this camera for?

Also, for the G7, the α6300, the D5500, and the 70D, you will need an external lens, which will cost you more money, but give you more creative flexibility if you choose to get into cinematography/photography.

For cameras that don't have an audio input, you will have to get an external recorder and rig up a microphone somehow, which would increase the cost of the setup.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

28 minutes ago, nickl said:

I would see @ALwin's guides about video camera vs DSLR.

If you want 120fps for 1080, it narrows your options quite a bit as for DSLR's/Mirrorless cameras...

Here are a few that might work for you I know of:

• Pansonic G7
    • UHD @ 30/40p
    • FHD @ 60p
  • Sony α6300
    • UHD @ 30/40p
    • FHD @ 60p
  • GoPro Hero 4 Black
    • Although its not a proper camera, it can do what you are asking for...
    • UHD @ 30p
    • FHD @ 120p
    • No Audio Input (Requires external recorder...)
  • Canon 70D
    • FHD @ 30p
  • Nikon D5500
    • UHD @ 60p
  • Canon G1X Mk II
    • FHD @ 30p
    • No Audio In
  • Canon G7X Mk II
    • FHD @ 60p
    • No Audio In

I have recently looked into a slew of cameras and camcorders for the school I attend and have made a spreadsheet with lots of options. Link here.

I question why you need/want frame rates like 120fps.. what are you using this camera for?

Also, for the G7, the α6300, the D5500, and the 70D, you will need an external lens, which will cost you more money, but give you more creative flexibility if you choose to get into cinematography/photography.

For cameras that don't have an audio input, you will have to get an external recorder and rig up a microphone somehow, which would increase the cost of the setup.

Thank you so much for this great input! I will be sure to look into these cameras before making my decision, I completely forgot about the Canon 70D!

Cinematic Action Short is one of my primary goals with this camera Post-Europe Trip. Content similar to Corridor Digital, SoKrispyMedia, and the old freddiew channel. 

The 120fps is more of a request than a demand, slow motion is a great way to build suspense at times. So having it at 720p would probably be acceptable for YouTube when used in short and combined with fast paced 1080p+ shots (since why I included the NX500 in the list)

I forgot to mention RAW is also preferred as this will help greatly stylize the short and enhancing the cinematic effect and good Depth of Field is required eliminating nearly all Camcorders.

54 minutes ago, colinreay said:

I'd recommend this. I've seen a few youtubers (Tech Yes City comes to mind, probably more). 4k video with a decent stock lens, a similar sensor to the GH4, and the same lens options as the GH4, or any other M4/3 (as well as speedboosters) for $600? Sounds good to me. As seen here, it is comparable to the GH4 at half the price with a lens. 

That camera looks amazing, thank you very much for the suggestion. I am still trying to narrow down my choice but this has defiantly entered my top 5.

Don't go NX, few lenses and its a dead platform, I almost made that mistake. I recommend the a6300, I've been using one for a while now for both video and photo, and the slog3 4k/24p is glorious, also it is great in low light for a crop sensor, I get photo and video usable at ISO 12800, some are usable at 16000 or even 25600, though the most I typically use is 6400. 120/1080 is nice too, blows my S6 (I used it for slowmo before) out of the water. E mount is full of options and the 6300 can be adapted to Canon EF with minimal to no loss of features. It also has the option of a Metabones Speedbooster adapter making it effectively FF in terms of field of view and getting 1 stop more light in. I am using it with a Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm F/4.0 but for just video, the 18-105 f/4 g is a great option if you don't want to use the kit lens.

Though I haven't used one, from what I've seen and read, the GH4 is inferior to the 6300 in slowmo quality, detail, low light performance, and dynamic range. 

If the advantages of the larger sensor aren't relevant to you, the GH4 would be good for the touchscreen, better UI, and more video features like a headphone jack, not to mention the versatile MFT platform, especially good for inexpensive glass. 

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

5 hours ago, TriFlix Films said:
  • I leave for Europe in less than a month and would like to purchase it before then. 
  • Price range: Under $800 (Preferred, but I could spend more and just open a credit line and pay it off over a couple of months at 0% APR)
  • I really want to be able to shoot 4K as well as 120fps or higher at 1080p
  • And external mic jack would be great

Have you considered renting a higher end camera or perhaps looking at a camcorder?  Many people spend all or most of their budget on a camera and forget about the budget for lenses, accessories and rigging.

Here's a rental company, their prices are great.

http://www.lensrentals.com

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

13 hours ago, ALwin said:

Have you considered renting a higher end camera or perhaps looking at a camcorder?  Many people spend all or most of their budget on a camera and forget about the budget for lenses, accessories and rigging.

Here's a rental company, their prices are great.

http://www.lensrentals.com

Thanks for the suggestion. My primary goal after the week in Europe is to create Cinematic Action shorts for YouTube. Since it won't be generating income, renting seems like an impractical option. I don't have a filmmaking team so the simpler the set up, the better. I think the 120 fps in 720 with be acceptable on YouTube and the 4k will be a great asset when transforming shots in post. 

Again, it sucks the NX500 doesn't have external audio but most professionals would suggest an external recorder anyway. I think I'll try buying a used NX500 and with the money I save, buy a mic and external recorder. This will make it easier to upgrade to the GH5 when it releases as I will have a B-Roll camera already, a good mic, and an external recorder.

APS-C offers better image quality and dynamic range in my experience when dealing with the sub $1000 cameras.

14 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

Don't go NX, few lenses and its a dead platform, I almost made that mistake. I recommend the a6300, I've been using one for a while now for both video and photo, and the slog3 4k/24p is glorious, also it is great in low light for a crop sensor, I get photo and video usable at ISO 12800, some are usable at 16000 or even 25600, though the most I typically use is 6400. 120/1080 is nice too, blows my S6 (I used it for slowmo before) out of the water. E mount is full of options and the 6300 can be adapted to Canon EF with minimal to no loss of features. It also has the option of a Metabones Speedbooster adapter making it effectively FF in terms of field of view and getting 1 stop more light in. I am using it with a Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm F/4.0 but for just video, the 18-105 f/4 g is a great option if you don't want to use the kit lens.

I am really interested in the a6300, but the cost of $1150 is nearly triple the cost of a used NX500 and the price doesn't offset what I would gain. I know the Samsung line is dead, but it's not like the camera stopped working. For $300 its practically a steal haha.

8 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

B-Roll camera

?????  What's that and how does a camera differ from an A-roll camera?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

@ALwin In film and television production, B-roll (B roll, or Broll) is supplemental or alternative footage intercut with the main shot.

Just a secondary camera with minimalistic requirements. It's main purpose is to capture "beautiful," we'll detailed footage. Typically with a high resolution and dynamic range. RAW is preferred since its able to be color graded to achieve an even more "beautiful" look. 

9 hours ago, TriFlix Films said:

@ALwin In film and television production, B-roll (B roll, or Broll) is supplemental or alternative footage intercut with the main shot.

Just a secondary camera with minimalistic requirements. It's main purpose is to capture "beautiful," we'll detailed footage. Typically with a high resolution and dynamic range. RAW is preferred since its able to be color graded to achieve an even more "beautiful" look. 

And this can't be achieved with a single camera?  You need two separate cameras for A and B rolls?

FYI, I know what "B-Roll" is, but apparently there are people on this forum who use this phrase like it's some special camera technique or need a special camera.

8 hours ago, ALwin said:

And this can't be achieved with a single camera?  You need two separate cameras for A and B rolls?

FYI, I know what "B-Roll" is, but apparently there are people on this forum who use this phrase like it's some special camera technique or need a special camera.

I thought there was underlying sarcasm haha it's all good. As a one man show having two cameras later down the road is a great way to add to content. EX: working a wedding, you could leave up a B-Roll camera on the bride, reception, guests, ect... while you run around capturing specific moments with a main camera. Youre right, It's not needed, but can certainly be helpful. Given I don't plan on working wedding but this techninique can be used in multiple situations as a filmmaker... Action shorts and music video's especially.

I'm sure your all familiar with this and are probably just testing my knowledge as you yourself have many well detailed threads on filmmaking, several of which I follow. Genuinely appreciate your input and questioning, it helps me really understand my own decisions better rather, than saying things blindly.

On 4/18/2016 at 2:20 PM, TriFlix Films said:

If you can get an NX1 that cheap, and are OK with the lack of lenses, I would say go for it. For the money you save, you could get some really nice accessories and lenses like the S series lenses (the best of the best for NX, as far as I am aware). Over the NX500, it has uncropped 4k video, a mic jack, a top display (relevant for photo, less so for video), and some more features. The a6300 is better than it in low light and it is not restricted to HEVC and has the option of recording S-Log which, unlike Samsung's alternative flat profile, has lots of support from the community with LUTs and guides on how to best take advantage of it. That is, not to mention E-Mount's colossal selection of lenses compared to NX, as well as the ability of the a6300 to easily adapt Canon lenses with full electronic support. However, the NX cameras have touchscreens and a potentially nicer UI, as well as having no issues with overheating (though overheating is a minor issue with the a6300 from my experience).

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

3 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

I couldn't agree with your more. And don't get me wrong, if the NX1 and the A6300 were the same price and I had the funds I would totally go A6300 or possibly even A7S II. Given the circumstances of needed the camera within 3 weeks and only having that long to save for it, I think that'll be the limiting factor. Had I not just spent $2000 on building my first editing PC I easily could have, but this Europe trip was kind of a last minute decision my family had and offered to pay half my expenses so... a6300 for $1000 or a week in Paris and an NX500 for $1000. To me, the decision is clear haha. Thanks everyone!

As far as which camera, I'm undecided between the NX500, G7, and the FZ300. All are excellent cameras according to the reviews but my vote leans towards the ASP-C, 28 MP, better dynamic range NX500 with a H1 recorder and a Rode Mic. However, I'll probably go with what ever is cheapest. :)