Hey guys, I am planing to build a new Pc and need mostly all parts new  ssd, hard drives I think.

For my gpu I will decide either on a gtx 970 or a r9 390(x) X if there is a good price.

Now my current cpu is the i7 2600.

I have 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MH    should I get something new here?

And my power supply is a jersey cp4-520-v2.0.   Could I keep this one?

Now for the main point.

I was planing to get either a i5-4690k or a i5-6600k. Therefore I would need a z97 or z107 mainboard right? 

Used Cpus are no option where I live. I only found people that sell complete computers and a overclockable cpu is safer to buy new I think. Of course nobody thats sells cpus ever overclocked them...

Now both Cpus are priced the same if im correct. 4690k at about 230€ and so is the 6600k. So I tend to go with the newer cpu but then there is the mb and memory.

With mainboards there is more of a price range between z97 and z107. And memory? No clue tbh. I want to use ddr3 since ddr4 is not doing much.

I dont need many features for the mb. I just want to oc my cpu and gpu. If possible I want the mb to be under oder slightly above 100€.

I want to buy a gpu first and 1 month later or so the cpu +mb + memory. A better cooler would also be necessary right?

I thought the 970 would be better but maybe the raw power of the r9 390 would beneffit me more if my cpu is beefy enough.

I hope you guys can help me decide. Deciding on new parts is always hard for me

What's your budget and currency?

Also, there are very few MOBOs that support skylake and DDR3. When using skylake, it's best to use DDR4.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

4690K and 390. you can reuse that RAM and with the money you didnt spend on fancy new RAM you can buy a big tower cooler like a Shadow Rock 2 or Hyper 212 or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

IMO I would do Skylake since everything will be new and snappy. Also, the price differences aren't that big and you can find some Z170 boards under $100.

I would go with the i5-6600K and the 970 with DDR4 RAM.

1 minute ago, Palmee said:

Therefore I would need a z97 or z107 mainboard right? 

Z170 and yes

4690k at about 230€ and so is the 6600k. So I tend to go with the newer cpu but then there is the mb and memory.

skylake motherboard and ddr4 prices are similar to that of haswell motherboard and ddr3 now :P we've came a long way from overpriced ddr4 lol

3 minutes ago, Palmee said:

A better cooler would also be necessary right?

if you opt for an unlocked chip, you'll need a cooler since one doesnt come in the box

I thought the 970 would be better but maybe the raw power of the r9 390 would beneffit me more if my cpu is beefy enough.

yes the r9 390 would be better if you opt for the skylake i5 (which i recommend you do)

here's my proposed build

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/PZ2KFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/PZ2KFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€240.83 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€58.99 @ Aquatuning) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€174.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€72.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€90.05 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€71.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  (€336.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€80.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€123.72 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €1251.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 18:47 CEST+0200

also, remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so they'll get a notification ^^

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Z170 and yes

skylake motherboard and ddr4 prices are similar to that of haswell motherboard and ddr3 now :P we've came a long way from overpriced ddr4 lol

if you opt for an unlocked chip, you'll need a cooler since one doesnt come in the box

yes the r9 390 would be better if you opt for the skylake i5 (which i recommend you do)

here's my proposed build

Reveal hidden contents

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/PZ2KFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/PZ2KFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€240.83 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€58.99 @ Aquatuning) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€174.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€72.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€90.05 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€71.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  (€336.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€80.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€123.72 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €1251.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 18:47 CEST+0200

also, remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so they'll get a notification ^^

OK

Here is what I decided on I think.

CPU: I5-6600k

MB: ASRock Z170 Pro4S Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX 

GPU: R9 390 (Not sure which Modell. Are there some I should definitly not buy?? The MSI one seems pretty popular but there are some about 30-40€ cheaper.)

Memory: 16GB HyperX FURY schwarz DDR4-2666 DIMM  or  16GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit (Is hyperx fury better even tho it has lower frequency?)

Cpu cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Tower Cooler

The mb may change if I find something in sale thats better.

How far would this setup bring me in form of 1080p to 4k gaming?

GPU: R9 390 (Not sure which Modell. Are there some I should definitly not buy?? The MSI one seems pretty popular but there are some about 30-40€ cheaper.)

yea, dont buy gigabyte windforce or the strix or any blower style cooler

sapphire or xfx should be cheaper than the msi

2 minutes ago, Palmee said:

Memory: 16GB HyperX FURY schwarz DDR4-2666 DIMM  or  16GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit (Is hyperx fury better even tho it has lower frequency?)

your cpu will only support as high as the IMC allows, and it depends on luck, i recommend hyperx or vengeance lpx ram for skylake

get 2x8gb ram kits, not 1x16gb for dual channel goodness

How far would this setup bring me in form of 1080p to 4k gaming?

stay at 1080p, the r9 390 is not meant for 4k, no single card today can game well at 4k

unless you're just playing light games then sure

the rest of the build seems fine

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

yea, dont buy gigabyte windforce or the strix or any blower style cooler

sapphire or xfx should be cheaper than the msi

your cpu will only support as high as the IMC allows, and it depends on luck, i recommend hyperx or vengeance lpx ram for skylake

get 2x8gb ram kits, not 1x16gb for dual channel goodness

stay at 1080p, the r9 390 is not meant for 4k, no single card today can game well at 4k

unless you're just playing light games then sure

the rest of the build seems fine

One last thing. For a new power supply, can you recommend something cheaper? Semi modular or non modular. I will get a case with enogh backspace for cable management.

I am not sure what cables I need. Other then the Cpu, MB and Gpu I have 2 HDDs, 1SSD and a couple fans to power.

Is 650W more than enough? 

And I found a new MB, the "MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX ". They have a 20€ Cashback offer. + it loos great with the msi 390. 

For a new power supply, can you recommend something cheaper? Semi modular or non modular. I will get a case with enogh backspace for cable management.

hmm... i dont recommend cheaping out on a psu because its important for a psu to be good

maybe try getting a seasonic psu thats 600w or above, like the M12II Bronze Evo 620W

or EVGA G2 or P2 650W, these are better than the seasonic

I am not sure what cables I need. Other then the Cpu, MB and Gpu I have 2 HDDs, 1SSD and a couple fans to power.

Is 650W more than enough? 

the psu i listed all come with enough cables for you

and yes 650W is enough, arguably 550W is enough but 650W for more headroom :P

4 minutes ago, Palmee said:

And I found a new MB, the "MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX ". They have a 20€ Cashback offer. + it loos great with the msi 390

yea sure go for it, as long as its z170 and it does what you want it to do

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

hmm... i dont recommend cheaping out on a psu because its important for a psu to be good

maybe try getting a seasonic psu thats 600w or above, like the M12II Bronze Evo 620W

or EVGA G2 or P2 650W, these are better than the seasonic

Well they are not exactly cheaper.

Would something like a "650 Watt Corsair CS Series Modular 80+ Gold(88,85€@Mindfactory)" or "630 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM Modular 80+ Bronze(80,79€@Mindfactory)" work? Under 100€ 

Corsair CS Series Modular

Corsair CS

CS

avoid this psu, the build you're building deserves better psu

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

avoid this psu, the build you're building deserves better psu

OK, I guess better safe than sorry later.http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/650-Watt-Corsair-RMx-Series-Modular-80--Gold_1015136.html

lol didnt mean to send just yet. This is the first one you recommended me right? I didnt really wanted to send it with a link because i dont know if that alright.

yeap, dont cheap out on the psu, because its the one converting 110~240v to 12,5, and 3.3v,

so you probably know what happens if it went wrong `-`

18 hours ago, Moonzy said:

18 hours ago, Palmee said:

As I was looking up all my parts to order I was a little confused over 2 parts. The case and a cpu Cooler.

For the Case I want a "Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 gedämmt Midi Tower(70€)". It looks great and simple+ it has a good noise isolation as far as I can tell.

For the CPU cooler I thought about the "Cooler master hyper 112 evo tower cooler (30€)". On most formus they say its great for a i5-6600k but does it cool it enough if I oc it to 4,6ghz?

4,6 would be the max i will use I think. And ofc it needs to fit into the case.

And it should not cover ram slots from the   "MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX"

I would be at around 957€ with all the stuff. 1000€ would be my limit. Is all the stuff good enough or should I upgrade something to reach the 1000 limit.

Hard drives + Ssd are not needed as I have them already.

Thanks for all the help already ;D

On most formus they say its great for a i5-6600k but does it cool it enough if I oc it to 4,6ghz?

its not a great cooler for overclocking, so no

its only good for stock clock speed or mild oc

I would be at around 957€ with all the stuff. 1000€ would be my limit. Is all the stuff good enough or should I upgrade something to reach the 1000 limit.

well what parts do you already have? in pcpartpicker if possible

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well what parts do you already have? in pcpartpicker if possible

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hp3C23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hp3C23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.44 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.49 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($92.66 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $825.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-18 14:16 EDT-0400

That would be the parts i was planing on getting.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hp3C23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hp3C23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.44 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.49 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($92.66 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $825.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-18 14:16 EDT-0400

That would be the parts i was planing on getting.

well except the cpu cooler if you wanna overclock the cpu more

try the dark rock 3

everything else looks great

On 18.4.2016 at 8:18 PM, Moonzy said:

everything else looks great

Hello again senpai, sorry for bothering you but I am unsure about the case+cpu cooler. There seems so little space left between cooler and case.

The nanoxia deep silence 3 allows cpu coolers up to 165mm and the dark rock 3 is 160mm. Since there is sound dampening material im unsure if it fits. 

And would the cooler cover the ram slots on a "Asus Z170 Pro Gaming"(decided on that)

I want to order my stuff these days and I dont want to get frustrated over space issues.

Hello again senpai, sorry for bothering you but I am unsure about the case+cpu cooler. There seems so little space left between cooler and case.

The nanoxia deep silence 3 allows cpu coolers up to 165mm and the dark rock 3 is 160mm. Since there is sound dampening material im unsure if it fits. 

And would the cooler cover the ram slots on a "Asus Z170 Pro Gaming"(decided on that)

I want to order my stuff these days and I dont want to get frustrated over space issues.

well if it says it fits then it should fit, 5mm of space is quite a lot, even for a thickness of the foam

worse case is that you'll have to remove some of that foam, but i guess they should take the foam into account for the height too unless you added the foam yourself

as for covering the ram, the dark rock 3 should do fine, the dark rock pro 3 face issue because its a dual tower heatsink so the heatpipes are wider apart

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

as for covering the ram, the dark rock 3 should do fine, the dark rock pro 3 face issue because its a dual tower heatsink so the heatpipes are wider apart

As fast as ever =D 

Thanks, I will order my parts on friday as it seems the msi r9 390 is going to be restocked then again.

Hype intensifies^^