Is the Wii U worth it?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm considering taking part in a FIFA tournament next week, and the big prize is a Wii U. It's not a huge motivation for me so I'm not sure if it's worth doing it. I've been reading tests and I'm not a huge fan of the hardware (low res screen and short autonomy of the pad). I'm not a huge Nintendo fan neither, I can play Mario and Zelda titles but these are not my favorite games. I'm actually a PC gamer with over 150 games that would be keep me busy for the next years. On the other hand, the last Nintendo console I had was the GameCube, which I loved. I think that those games for non-gamers might be helpful when I'm with non-gamers, and with a Wii U I wouldn't have to invest in a gaming laptop for times when I'm not at home to play on my desktop.

I haven't played any AAA Nintendo titles since 2004, and I would like to know which games released on the Wii U or on the original Wii (compatible with the Wii U) are worth checking. I'm talking about 12 years of game releases so there are probably some that might make me consider getting the Wii U. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Wind Waker HD Remake on the Wii U™

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I absolutely love mine. But if you aren't huge into Mario or Zelda, it's probably not worth it for you. Well, if you can win it then it's worth it... But if not, nah.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Wind Waker HD Remake on the Wii U™

Yeah I would definitely get it. Do you know more top 10 titles released over the past 12 years so I can check if they are for me. I guess I could get a lot of games for cheap on eBay. Oh BTW does the Nintendo Shop (or whatever it's called) offer good discounts on old/classic Wii/GameCube games?

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Yeah I would definitely get it. Do you know more top 10 titles released over the past 12 years so I can check if they are for me. I guess I could get a lot of games for cheap on eBay. Oh BTW does the Nintendo Shop (or whatever it's called) offer good discounts on old/classic Wii/GameCube games?

Honestly I don't know, it was the only game I could think of that supports the Wii U.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So now I'm considering getting it just to play the games I can't play on PC but I've always to play like Tekken, Just Dance, Guitar Hero, and maybe Wii Fit (even though as a regular jogger I think I would need something more advanced).

Go for it dude. 

Like give it everything you got. 

Smash Bros and Splatoon alone have consumed dozens if not hundreds of hours of both my life, and the lives of everyone I know with a WiiU. 

Totally worth it, don't let the haters scare you off, most have never even experienced the power of WiiU

EDIT: ...by "power" I of course don't mean hardware specs.

12 minutes ago, FullTank1337 said:

Go for it dude. 

Like give it everything you got. 

Smash Bros and Splatoon alone have consumed dozens if not hundreds of hours of both my life, and the lives of everyone I know with a WiiU. 

Totally worth it, don't let the haters scare you off, most have never even experienced the power of WiiU

EDIT: ...by "power" I of course don't mean hardware specs.

Not sure about Splatoon but that would be helpful indeed :)

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Not sure about Platoon but that would be helpful indeed :)

It is worth it. It is worth every penny. 

Not to mention, all the soft-modability of the old Wii is available with the vWii VM on WiiU. That means region-free HDMI-enabled Wii/Gamecube games on native hardware.

Also squid-lolis

2 hours ago, FullTank1337 said:

It is worth it. It is worth every penny. 

Not to mention, all the soft-modability of the old Wii is available with the vWii VM on WiiU. That means region-free HDMI-enabled Wii/Gamecube games on native hardware.

Also squid-lolis

You seem to know the subject well. So do you think I'll be able to play my GameCube minidisks, or download games like Star Wars Rogue Leader?

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

You seem to know the subject well. So do you think I'll be able to play my GameCube minidisks, or download games like Star Wars Rogue Leader?

You won't be able to play gamecube games. Only the Wiis before that stupid no wifi and no gamecube jack revision can do that. There are also no Virtual Console gamecube games on any Nintendo console yet.

Basically, you can only play wii discs and wii u discs (Plus some old Virtual Console games)

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

2 hours ago, Headshot_ said:

You won't be able to play gamecube games. Only the Wiis before that stupid no wifi and no gamecube jack revision can do that. There are also no Virtual Console gamecube games on any Nintendo console yet.

Basically, you can only play wii discs and wii u discs (Plus some old Virtual Console games)

Basically, this. 

With the Homebrew Channel installed, you can play Gamecube games on WiiU from an SD card or USB Hard drive, but you need either an old Wii or a PC to install them. Tedious, but doable.

4 hours ago, FullTank1337 said:

Basically, this. 

With the Homebrew Channel installed, you can play Gamecube games on WiiU from an SD card or USB Hard drive, but you need either an old Wii or a PC to install them. Tedious, but doable.

How do I get the Game Cube game. Is it legal to do that?

4 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

How do I get the Game Cube game. Is it legal to do that?

You can either rip them to your PC using a special DVD drive (or a soft-modded old Wii), which is a massive pain, or you can download .ISO rips from the internet. 

Downloading backups of games you own is legal, however, downloading games you do NOT own is NOT legal. 

That's piracy.

4 hours ago, FullTank1337 said:

You can either rip them to your PC using a special DVD drive (or a soft-modded old Wii), which is a massive pain, or you can download .ISO rips from the internet. 

Downloading backups of games you own is legal, however, downloading games you do NOT own is NOT legal. 

That's piracy.

Thanks. I think the best way to get games for cheap on eBay. Thanks a lot for your replies. Now it's time to practice my FIFA skills :)

lol, I actually didn't have anything else to say but... This trailer just came out today. 
Welp, I sure hope preorders are still open, cuz I now officially need this game. (who needs food amirite?)

Do you currently have a Wii?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.