Always something missing

filipcro

Since Linus had this guy on the show I've been checking out his videos and came about this one.

Sadly, his number one headphones, the Audio Technica ATH-M50, are completely irrelevant because they don't have a microphone, really bizarre omission.

Anyway, is there a complete equivalent to these headphones in terms of audio quality but also having a microphone?

Would "gaming" headphones with open design like Sennheiser PC 363D do?

Speaking of open design vs closed, which one sounds better(PC 350 would be the closed one)?

Would "gaming" headphones with open design like Sennheiser PC 363D do?

Speaking of open design vs closed, which one sounds better(PC 350 would be the closed one)?

Sennheiser's headsets have an equivalent headphone that costs less - you're paying a big premium (at MSRP at least) just to have an integrated mic. 

Open headphones are typically regarded as better for gaming, and closed usually have boomier bass. What will sound best to any individual is a matter of preference and use.

Just buy an external mic.

This is not a viable solution, I don't like flimsiness and improvisation.

So no one here can compare AT with Sennheiser?

This is not a viable solution, I don't like flimsiness and improvisation.

So no one here can compare AT with Sennheiser?

None of those solutions are flimsy, especially the snowflake. It's made out of a solid aluminium and won't break.

Actually in my opinion a headset is more improvisation than a dedicated headphone/mic.

To answer your question, there are better headphones than the M50's, and even if you are going to buy m50's, you'll still need to buy an external mic.

Btw, what's up with people who say you should not buy "gaming" headphones, is that applicable to high end brands like Sennheiser?

Btw, what's up with people who say you should not buy "gaming" headphones, is that applicable to high end brands like Sennheiser?

Because most gaming headsets are made cheaply, have terrible audio, and break constantly. Just look at all the threads with complaints.

Sennheiser is good, but again you are paying a premium for that built in mic.

I think they're out of stock? Way to lazy to look right now.

I think you're right. You're more on top of things than I :)

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

From the FAQ:

But I want a surround sound headset! What are the advantages of a good pair of headphones with a cheap mic?

The problem with creating a headset with a built in mic is that if if breaks, you end up having to buy a whole new unit (a problem for you, not the headset maker!) , and the fact that both exist in the same device with complicated cable routings and moving parts for the mic attachment means the device is even more likely to break. Also, since you're paying for both, you're getting less money in BOTH the headphone part and the mic part. Our suggestion is get the best headphones you can and then get the cheapest mic possible and attach it to the headphones or stick it on your desk. Properly leveling your mic will make it sound better than putting it next to your mouth, except in very high noise environments like sports stadiums. Does Brian Williams give the Nightly News with a boom mic? Nope, it's a clip on!

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

• 2 weeks later...

How are ATH-M50's irrelevant just because they don't have a mic? Most people that use headphones don't use the mics on them. The ATH-M50's weren't designed with gaming or voice chat in mind. They were designed for listening to content like music or movies.