Used HDD in a New System

Zombert13

HDD on New system   

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should I...

• Clean reinstall windows and put the HDD in the new system
    • leave it as so and get a product key and then reinstall windows with the new product key

I have a HDD that is filled and its currently installed on a prebuilt computer. I want to put that HDD on a new system with new parts but I would like to keep windows on it. If I do a clean reinstall can I put that in my new system?and will I have to activate it? I do not have the product key because it is a prebuilt.

what windows is it? windows 7 comes with key, 8 and above doesnt and is locked at the motherboard iirc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Usually Windows licenses are 'tied' to the computer that you bought them with.  So you will need to buy a new Windows license for your new 'computer'. 

On pre-builts, the product key is often embedded into the motherboard's firmware with a technique known as "SLIC".  So if you use the media that came with the computer originally, you may be able to re-install the same operating system onto the existing computer without Windows keys.  But you won't be able to carry that over to a 'new' computer without paying for, and obtaining a new license from Microsoft in the usual fashion.

Just now, Moonzy said:

what windows is it? windows 7 comes with key, 8 and above doesnt and is locked at the motherboard iirc

Its windows 7 and it on a prebuilt pc 

Just now, Zombert13 said:

Its windows 7 and it on a prebuilt pc 

doesnt it come with a sticker?

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Usually Windows licenses are 'tied' to the computer that you bought them with.  So you will need to buy a new Windows license for your new 'computer'. 

On pre-builts, the product key is often embedded into the motherboard's firmware with a technique known as "SLIC".  So if you use the media that came with the computer originally, you may be able to re-install the same operating system onto the existing computer without Windows keys.  But you won't be able to carry that over to a 'new' computer without paying for, and obtaining a new license from Microsoft in the usual fashion.

this only applies to windows 8 and above

Just now, Moonzy said:

this only applied to windows 8 and above

I understand that but what sticker??

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

this only applies to windows 8 and above

Untrue, SLIC has been available on Dell pre-builts going back to the Windows XP era, and perhaps even earlier. Obviously later iterations (ie: "SLIC 3.0") have increased security on account of Microsoft's war against pirates.

2 minutes ago, Zombert13 said:

I understand that but what sticker??

windows 7 sticker on the casing, if not then you probably have to buy a new windows

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Untrue, SLIC has been available on Dell pre-builts going back to the Windows XP era, and perhaps even earlier. 

hmm... maybe, never bought prebuilts but ive seen prebuilts with their windows key sticking on their case panels `-`

Just now, Moonzy said:

windows 7 sticker on the casing, if not then you probably have to buy a new windows

hmm... maybe, never bought prebuilts but ive seen prebuilts with their windows key sticking on their case panels `-`

oh shit, there is a sticker saying product key with a code

13 minutes ago, Zombert13 said:

oh shit, there is a sticker saying product key with a code

should be 25 letter and please dont make those 25 letters public if you still want to use your windows `-`

dont post "is this it?" picture ok, just know its 25 alphanumeric letters

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX <--- like this