Reformatting / Cleaning Drive?

Migit

Hey, one of my mates was having troubles with his old gaming rig so he bought a new one and has given me the old one to fix (if possible) and return so he can give it to his brother.

I was able to get it into a stable running condition. But he removed all the hard drives leaving only the SSD in this PC. So on startup the PC gives a heap of errors as E://"insert program here" can not be found.

I was thinking just getting a clean install of windows for him would be best. But I'm not certain on how to do it safety on an SSD as I believe a complete reformat isn't recommended for them?

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

1 minute ago, Migit said:

I was thinking just getting a clean install of windows for him would be best. But I'm not certain on how to do it safety on an SSD as I believe a complete reformat isn't recommended for them?

Might as well just frame the SSD and hang it on a wall lol

They are DESIGNED to be used

Its perfectly fine to reformat an SSD and reinstall windows.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Might as well just frame the SSD and hang it on a wall lol

They are DESIGNED to be used

Its perfectly fine to reformat an SSD and reinstall windows.

Okay thanks, I wasn't sure why, but I just thought I read it once.

And figured safer to ask, than just do it and have to replace the drive

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

upon installation of windows, choose custom setting and wipe the disc from there

you can also create partition and what not, then install on the partition you want lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately