What cheap motherboard should I get for my i5-3570k?

Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,
19 hours ago, ybriK said:

Not really, Intel hasn't made a huge leap in IPC since 2012, AMD needs to get their shit together and completely beat Skylake to get Intel a good wake-up call. For synthetic/compute it might help a lot/somewhat but for gaming not so much, a used Sandy/Ivy Bridge is still best bang for buck with an obvious no/limited warranty caveat.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1148-tom-clancys-the-division-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

"Overall, Skylake is not an earth shattering leap in performance."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

Yes, I know the increments in performance following Sandy Bridge have been minimal. I mistakenly referred to the architecture itself as antiquated (I still believe it's very capable). I meant to say that it's more difficult to find new motherboards for LGA1155 CPUs at retail stores and websites. If you're in the market for a build based on retail parts so you have warranties on your hardware, the currently in-production LGA 1150 and 1151 platforms are probably what stores and sites have in stock instead.

However, if you're in the market for used parts, you can't do much better than used LGA1155 CPUs and motherboards, as they're often cheaper, and perform almost on par with modern hardware.

I'm looking to build a new gaming rig with an i5-3570k, but I'm struggling to find a suitable motherboard for a decent price. I also want to overclock the cpu.

Can you please suggest me a cheap motherboard what will work with the i5-3570k.

k

lga1155 boards aren't made anymore. Just search for "z77" on Ebay.

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

Have you already bought the 3570k? It's an antiquated architecture, and motherboards for the LGA1155 socket haven't been in production for some time now.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Have you already bought the 3570k? It's an antiquated architecture, and motherboards for the LGA1155 socket haven't been in production for some time now.

I'm planning on buying the 3570k (used condition) as its much cheaper than the 4670k

2 minutes ago, console master race said:

I'm planning on buying the 3570k (used condition) as its much cheaper than the 4670k

You might save a few bucks with a new 4590 and an H81/B85 motherboard or a 6500 with an H110 motherboard, and you'd have the security of being able to RMA something if it dies.

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You might save a few bucks with a new 4590 and an H81/B85 motherboard or a 6500 with an H110 motherboard, and you'd have the security of being able to RMA something if it dies.

Yeah but I want to overclock so I can have more performance from my CPU. If I overclock the 3570k, it will be better than those two cpu's.

(Read the whole post please.)

On 16.4.2016 at 2:33 PM, console master race said:

I'm looking to build a new gaming rig with an i5-3570k

Don't do it. Buying semi-old chips isn't a cost effective method. Don't buy an unlocked chip either. As long it is a decent quad-core (Core i5), you don't ever need to overclock. If you want to have the extra performance, go buy a Core i7, otherwise you are just wasting money. 

but I'm struggling to find a suitable motherboard for a decent price.

Yeah, thats due to the fact that z-series motherboards do hold their value extremly well. Just get rid of the idea of finding a cheap 3570k and z-77 mainboard.

Can you please suggest me a cheap motherboard what will work with the i5-3570k.

Nope. But I can suggest you buying a i5 6400 and some h110 or even z170 motherboard.

BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO WASTE MONEY AND HAVE A Z77-CHIPSET BOARD, BUY ONE OF THESE: 

-ASUS P8Z77-V

-MSI Z77A-G45

-Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

(The best bang for your buck you gonna get in the Z77 range.)

Short Answer: There are no easily located cheap mobos for socket 1155 unless you want to overpay on eBay.

If you must, go the eBay route. However, having been patiently looking for the past three weeks for Z68/Z77 mobos, I ultimately came across a Asus ROG Maximum Extreme with a PCH initialization error for $41.00 and as part of another Craigslist system for cheap another Maximus Extreme. These were $500.00 mobos when released and they still pack a HUGE number of relevant options. In the end, I got two of them for about $70.00 each.

The one thing Scrapyard Wars is complete b.s. about is the artificial time constraints on the show. I get why the show does it, but for those of us who choose to build with some used components out of choice or necessity. -- it teaches the EXACT wrong thing.

To acquire enthusiast grade used parts, you must be patient. It will take 2-4 weeks of watching eBay/Craigslist/Kijiji and other used online ads to find your parts. It isn't a Newegg or Amazon ordering experience; It is not remotely the same thing at all.

Be patient, watch the ads extremely closely for several weeks and look at whole systems too from which you can poach parts and resell the rest.  Over time, you will develop a real feel for every little feature and topography of the used market at a component level. (It is quite an addicting hobby in itself, actually.) 

You will find that with knowledge, patience and a bit of luck,  you can pick up a great cheap Z68 /P68 / Z77 mobo for use with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

It just takes work and patience. An awesome deal is not a click away and off the UPS truck tomorrow. That isn't the way this works.

3570k can melt an igloo. 

Idles at 1000°c usually and gets to around temps of the sun when playing minecraft. I'd probably buy something a bit less....scorching.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

With suitably upgraded firmware, most H67/Z68/P67 boards can also support Ivy Bridge CPU's. 

But the platform has been EOL'ed years ago.  Would not build a new machine on it now unless the parts are almost being given to you.

13 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Not really, Intel hasn't made a huge leap in IPC since 2012, AMD needs to get their shit together and completely beat Skylake to get Intel a good wake-up call. For synthetic/compute it might help a lot/somewhat but for gaming not so much, a used Sandy/Ivy Bridge is still best bang for buck with an obvious no/limited warranty caveat.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1148-tom-clancys-the-division-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

2 hours ago, Mark77 said:

With suitably upgraded firmware, most H67/Z68/P67 boards can also support Ivy Bridge CPU's. 

But the platform has been EOL'ed years ago.  Would not build a new machine on it now unless the parts are almost being given to you.

The H67 cannot overclock. If he's rocking a 3570K for a gaming PC, he'll want a P67(updated)/Z68 (updated Bios)/Z77 based mobo as that is the only way to OC an Ivy Bridge CPU. H67 mobos are cheap, to be sure. That's why they are cheap - they can't overclock.

The ideal find is an Asus ROG Maximus Extreme IV P67 based mobo for cheap.  You got to really hunt for one of those though and you may well have to buy it as part of an existing system then sell off what you don't want. Otherwise, buying it as a boxed stand alone off eBay it's a $250-$300 mobo... 

Failing that, MSI Z77-A,  GA-Z77-UD5H, or best-bet, a P8 Z77-V (which also tends to be a little more expensive, but at least not as rare as a P67 ROG motherboard).

19 hours ago, ybriK said:

Yes, I know the increments in performance following Sandy Bridge have been minimal. I mistakenly referred to the architecture itself as antiquated (I still believe it's very capable). I meant to say that it's more difficult to find new motherboards for LGA1155 CPUs at retail stores and websites. If you're in the market for a build based on retail parts so you have warranties on your hardware, the currently in-production LGA 1150 and 1151 platforms are probably what stores and sites have in stock instead.

However, if you're in the market for used parts, you can't do much better than used LGA1155 CPUs and motherboards, as they're often cheaper, and perform almost on par with modern hardware.