Better cooler for existing M-ITX build.

DELTAprime

I have a M-ITX build in a Silverstone RVZ02. The CPU is a 6600k tho I might upgrade to the Kaby Lake equivalent of the 6700k when it comes out. I currently have a Noctua NH-L9i cooler on it but I find that it reaches it's thermal limit quickly if the CPU cores are maxed out. Is there anything that I can try instead of the L9i with a higher TDP, replaceable fans and fits into the 58mm case restrictions?

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

I have a M-ITX build in a Silverstone RVZ02. The CPU is a 6600k tho I might upgrade to the Kaby Lake equivalent of the 6700k when it comes out. I currently have a Noctua NH-L9i cooler on it but I find that it reaches it's thermal limit quickly if the CPU cores are maxed out. Is there anything that I can try instead of the L9i with a higher TDP, replaceable fans and fits into the 58mm case restrictions?

My personal opinion - go for watercooling. It is a lot more efficient and quite. 

I would recommend a Corsair H100i.

There's no room for water cooling in a RVZ02.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ02

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

I'm not overclocking, just want to make sure the CPU is cool under full load especially if I move to a faster clocked i7.

How are your temps? You say you reach limit, but are you talking about your own comfort zone or CPUs throttle zone? Or maybe both.

There are options from Phanteks and Cryorig.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

I'm not overclocking, just want to make sure the CPU is cool under full load especially if I move to a faster clocked i7.

If your 6600k is overheating without being overclocked, something is messed up.  What temps are we talking about under load?

I'm doing the same build as you except in the ML08 which has the same internals as the RVZ02. According to the RVZ02 thread on overclock.net, 60mm tall coolers will fit in the RVZ02 non windowed version. I ordered the Deepcool Gabriel since it's currently on sale on newegg.ca. Here's a review by pcper and also video review of it being used on a 3570K overclocked to 5GHz at 1.35V.

It should be arriving next Thursday and I'll let you know if I manage to get it to fit. You can also try the Zalman CNPS8900 as it's also 60mm tall and might be cheaper. Both will perform way better than the Noctua L9i.

On 4/16/2016 at 3:06 AM, chiwas said:

If your 6600k is overheating without being overclocked, something is messed up.  What temps are we talking about under load?

It hits the CPU's limit of 100c in Prime95 stress test. I think it's probably because the the Noctua is rated for 65TDP. I was told by people on another forum that it would be fine for a 6600k despite the mismatch in TDP, but apparently it's not. Last time I listen to Noctua fanboys.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a Big Shuriken 2 Rev B cooler off Amazon that's similar to Gabriel. I ruled out the Gabriel because Newegg shipping to Australia is expensive as opposed to Amazon who I'm sure is taking a loss on the shipping. It's a tight fit on a M-ITX board but it works. In the same test that maxed out the 6600k at 100c on the Noctua with the new cooler it doesn't go above 78c, and that's only because my core #1 seems really inefficient as it's 8c to 10c above the other cores at all times. Thanks for the recommendations.

2 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

my core #1 seems really inefficient as it's 8c to 10c above the other cores at all times

That sounds a little odd. Have you got enough thermal compound on? Could be that it's not spread right...

13 hours ago, Joe4096 said:

You can try this: Noctua L9x65. I'm no fan boy but I saw this. Looks slightly beefier than the L9i

The Silverstone case has a CPU height limit of 58mm. The L9x65 is 65mm tall.

Cryorig C7 fits into just about anything, and is a big improvement over stock.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.