What's happening to my computer?

NotJude

So this morning I turned my computer on and started watching YouTube, I then turned it off at the wall because I had to go to school. When I got home and turned my computer back on I'm greeted with the usual MSI boot screen (the one with the snake), but I'm not able to go into the BIOs menu by pressing F11, but I can choose my boot device with Delete. No matter what I choose all that happens is a black screen with a blinking _ in the top left hand corner.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:

Turning it off and on again (Yes I tried that)

Tripping the CMOS switch with a paper clip (It came up with the 'Settings reverted' screen but when I went into BIOs and restarted the same problem occured)

Tripping the BIOs battery (Same story as the CMOS switch)

Removing the storage and tripping the CMOS switch (I just get greeted with a sequence called Shell?)

I have no idea why this is happening, if someone could help with suggestions then that would be great thank you :)

Thanks for reading!

Why on Gods earth would you turn it off from the plug?

Power off switches are there to SAFELY turn the computer off

ending the process like normal

powering down the hdd

you know?

not go fucking apeshit and rape the poor thing from the wall

You either fucked up your HDD/SSD or everything is fucked up

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

8 minutes ago, NotJude said:

I then turned it off at the wall because I had to go to school.

never do that... it could bring so many bad things to your computer

what you can do is try booting only with cpu, motherboard and ram connected (as well as cpu cooler)

see if it boots, if it doesnt then i suspect your bios chip is corrupted/dead

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It might be that Windows just done fucked up when you turned it off so suddenly, grab an USB throw a Linux live USB on there(like ubuntu or something) and check if your HDD(and everything else) is still detected, if so it might be that the boot section of windows is corrupt and you'll need to install Windows.

But for the love of god, this is why they invented a shutdown button, even pressing the power button once send a signal to the OS to turn the PC off.

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

Maybe you damaged your hdd, or data on it. 

Plugging it from the wall is some next level laziness. 

22 minutes ago, NotJude said:

I then turned it off at the wall

ಠ_ಠ

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

17 hours ago, NotJude said:

So this morning I turned my computer on and started watching YouTube, I then turned it off at the wall because I had to go to school. When I got home and turned my computer back on I'm greeted with the usual MSI boot screen (the one with the snake), but I'm not able to go into the BIOs menu by pressing F11, but I can choose my boot device with Delete. No matter what I choose all that happens is a black screen with a blinking _ in the top left hand corner.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:

Turning it off and on again (Yes I tried that)

Tripping the CMOS switch with a paper clip (It came up with the 'Settings reverted' screen but when I went into BIOs and restarted the same problem occured)

Tripping the BIOs battery (Same story as the CMOS switch)

Removing the storage and tripping the CMOS switch (I just get greeted with a sequence called Shell?)

I have no idea why this is happening, if someone could help with suggestions then that would be great thank you :)

Thanks for reading!

Although everyone else seems to be focusing on the way you turned your system off. (Will emphasize that killing power at the wall is NOT the way to do it)
I am disheartened that no one seems to be giving you constructive troubleshooting tips (Except Moozy and KaasKop).

As will all basic troubleshooting steps, remove/unplug all extra peripherals (e.i. Sound cards, network cards, cd/dvd drives, HDD drives, GPU (Assuming you have onboard graphics))

Then if you are able to access the BIOS as you should be able to, Then run a system tester like memtest x86 to ensure that your CPU and RAM are functioning correctly. Assuming the memtest passes you then need to start adding peripherals one at a time to diagnose which component is causing the trouble.

If your system fails the memtest, try different RAM in different configurations, try a different  CPU (if possible), try a different PSU (again if possible) If all of these tests fail, or do not change how the system behaves then chances are your Motherboard is dead and will need replaced.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...