Need a 3.5 audio jack that does BOTH microphone and audio

I bought a pair of Bose Soundtrue 1st generation (Aug 2014 model). The microphone is in-line (built into detachable 3.5 audio cord). My on-board audio jack is only recognizing the speakers and NOT mic. Any suggestions? HQ adapters, drivers I'm unaware of, sound card ect? 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/soundtrue-around-ear-headphones-ii-apple-devices.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XJ8C4-Genuine-OEM-Dell-XPS-8900-Socket-LGA1151-Desktop-Motherboard-/191839437268?hash=item2caa8581d4:g:hLsAAOSwCQNWgYFS

All help is appreciated thanks! 

2 minutes ago, inadaizz said:

I'm ill informed about most things audio. Should I worry about losing quality with a random adapter? 

Nope.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

2 minutes ago, Sors said:

Nope.

Thank for the input!! I really appreciate it Sors. 

Would something like this work better considering what you linked in 3 pin and I have 4 pin? http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460664318&sr=1-6&keywords=4+pin+audio+adapterK

**edit** Amazon link. Accidentally linked opposite adapter that I need. 

1 minute ago, inadaizz said:

that one is making mic and headphone jack into one jack and you need to split your one jack into two jack one with mic and one with headphones

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

that one is making mic and headphone jack into one jack and you need to split your one jack into two jack one with mic and one with headphones

I know lol I'm looking for a proper 4 pin to edit/fix my link. ty tho.

4 minutes ago, inadaizz said:

I know lol I'm looking for a proper 4 pin to edit/fix my link. ty tho.

The one that the other guy linked will fix your problem, the reason why its 3 pin is because 4pin is made to handel both mic and headphones and 3pin is only mic or only headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

So I'm having trouble finding a Female 3.5 4pin -> Male audio/mic 4 pin. Do the pins matter and would a USB would all the same without audio quality loss? 

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

The one that the other guy linked will fix your problem, the reason why its 3 pin is because is because 4pin is made to handel both mic and headphones and 3pin is only mic or only headphones.

Ok great so it wont cause any issue! Thanks again guys! Sorry foy being such an audio nub. I'm in networking =]

6 minutes ago, inadaizz said:

Ok great so it wont cause any issue! Thanks again guys! Sorry foy being such an audio nub. I'm in networking =]

hey we all gotta start somewhere. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The above suggested Amazon item is NOT recommended. I bought it and it was trash. It made a constant audio buzz and the recent reviews are much more on point then the overall.