Black screen flashing during normal use of PC

ultimategamernerd

I have an evga gtx 980 SC, 16gb ddr3 @1866mhz, asus z97-A usb 3.1, adata sx900 ssd, seagate barracuda 1tb, i7 4790k, and evga 750w b2 bronze PSU. All clocks are stock, and all is air cooled. 

The issue arises when i am doing normal stuff. On the desktop or in chrome, and the screen will flash back a couple times and return to normal. No errors, crashes, or hardware incompatibilities. Everything has the latest drivers, and i have had this problem ever since i bough the PC back in summer 2015. I recently replaced both the GTX 980 and PSU via evga RMA service. they were kind and very helpful, but the issue still exists. 

Does anyone know where this problem could have originated? Thanks all. I am desperate at this point. 

Have you tried a different monitor yet? Seems like you have all the basis covered on the hardware side. Maybe the cable? Try moving that around and see if that can cause it. 

3 minutes ago, Fireknives said:

Have you tried a different monitor yet? Seems like you have all the basis covered on hardware side. Maybe the cable? Try moving that around and see if that can cause it. 

Ah yes. I forgot to mention that. It is only the primary monitor that does this. I have a dual HP ips 25xw monitor setup, and i have switched between monitors and ports and cables on the back of the 980 and without fail, it is always only the primary monitor that has issues. 

Edited by ultimategamernerd

Are you overclocking your monitors for a higher refresh rate? I think the profile that is set up for refresh rate will stay at the primary spot if the monitors are the same. I can't remember if mine did that when I last swapped mine or not. So might just want to give that a quick check.

Normal stuff? So it does not happen while playing games?

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

7 minutes ago, Fireknives said:

Are you overclocking your monitors for a higher refresh rate? I think the profile that is set up for refresh rate will stay at the primary spot if the monitors are the same. I can't remember if mine did that when I last swapped mine or not. So might just want to give that a quick check.

Nope. I dont mess around with any of the settings fro anything. Its a workstation so i avoid any and all tinkering for the sake of reliability. 

1 minute ago, IanDrexP said:

Normal stuff? So it does not happen while playing games?

I dont play to many games, but its never happened to me whilst the card was drawing mass power. so...yeah...not during games, not during 3d modelling. But in sketchup (low power) or in other less graphically demanding tasks liek the internet it DOES flicker. and its freaking me out. 

Maybe try to increase the voltage through MSI Afterburner? At idle maybe the GPU is not getting enough voltage to keep it stable?

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)

Just now, IanDrexP said:

Maybe try to increase the voltage through MSI Afterburner? At idle maybe the GPU is not getting enough voltage to keep it stable?

I am very afraid of altering power settings on my PC. It makes sense, but i am  curious if such a thing is possible? Its not actually crashing. No errors at all, no driver failures. the card, i assume, stays powered on. 

Nvidia GPUs have a voltage offset which goes higher than what the manufacturer has originally set but moving that offset up is perfectly safe if it is using the stock bios and stock settings on Afterburner, but you have to go to Afterburner settings and make sure "Unlock voltage control" is checked to do so.

The voltage was what I was thinking because I had a problem before because I undervolted my R9 390 to the max to save power and it was fine with normal usage but during games it would crash so I lowered the undervolt a bit and it worked fine. In your case I see it as the opposite where maybe at idle it isn't getting enough voltage to keep it powered on? 

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler

When you go into nvidia control panel (shown in pic) what does your power management setting say? Might want to set it to Max and see if that helps. Might be that your core clock is dipping to low. I think I have heard of that being a problem but I don't remember much about it.

Control Panel.png

10 hours ago, IanDrexP said:

Nvidia GPUs have a voltage offset which goes higher than what the manufacturer has originally set but moving that offset up is perfectly safe if it is using the stock bios and stock settings on Afterburner, but you have to go to Afterburner settings and make sure "Unlock voltage control" is checked to do so.

The voltage was what I was thinking because I had a problem before because I undervolted my R9 390 to the max to save power and it was fine with normal usage but during games it would crash so I lowered the undervolt a bit and it worked fine. In your case I see it as the opposite where maybe at idle it isn't getting enough voltage to keep it powered on? 

10 hours ago, Fireknives said:

When you go into nvidia control panel (shown in pic) what does your power management setting say? Might want to set it to Max and see if that helps. Might be that your core clock is dipping to low. I think I have heard of that being a problem but I don't remember much about it.

Control Panel.png

Okay, I will try both of these. I am understanding that if im not overclocking, then raising the voltage limit like IanDrexP suggested will not induce any reliability or thermal issues. I am also assuming that raising the limit is not the same thing as "overvolting" (call me out if i am wrong there). And as for Fireknives, would combining these suggestions be a bad idea? as in...raising the voltage limit, and then forcing the card to work harder? 

6 minutes ago, ultimategamernerd said:

Okay, I will try both of these. I am understanding that if im not overclocking, then raising the voltage limit like IanDrexP suggested will not induce any reliability or thermal issues. I am also assuming that raising the limit is not the same thing as "overvolting" (call me out if i am wrong there). And as for Fireknives, would combining these suggestions be a bad idea? as in...raising the voltage limit, and then forcing the card to work harder? 

No don't set it to max... The GPU should be able to adjust its voltage accordingly depending on its workload.

I suggest adding increments of 25 mV when adjusting the voltage. This is voltage tuning in my opinion not overvolting because you are increasing voltage within safe specifications from the manufacturer and not outside of limits placed by them.

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, IanDrexP said:

No don't set it to max... The GPU should be able to adjust its voltage accordingly depending on its workload.

I suggest adding increments of 25 mV when adjusting the voltage. This is voltage tuning in my opinion not overvolting because you are increasing voltage within safe specifications from the manufacturer and not outside of limits placed by them.

Ahh okay. This is starting to make sense. I will try that as soon as i reinstall the 980. We will see how this goes :)

Okay, so...ive tried everything that was suggested. increasing the voltage limit to +50 mV with afterburner, and by changing the Nvidia settings to demand more power draw....and to no avail. The screen will still flash periodically. 

I was wondering though; any chance its the pcie slot on the ASUS Z97-A USB 3.1? i am using the top one, but the one below is 8x (which is fine for bandwidth, i think) so would that possibly be the blinking problem? 

27 minutes ago, ultimategamernerd said:

Okay, so...ive tried everything that was suggested. increasing the voltage limit to +50 mV with afterburner, and by changing the Nvidia settings to demand more power draw....and to no avail. The screen will still flash periodically. 

I was wondering though; any chance its the pcie slot on the ASUS Z97-A USB 3.1? i am using the top one, but the one below is 8x (which is fine for bandwidth, i think) so would that possibly be the blinking problem? 

Are you using the HDMI connection for both monitors, and are there any adapters used to convert to HDMI or VGA (since your monitors are HDMI or VGA inputs).

In the monitor settings itself, is it set to auto-select input source, or manually set to use either VGA or HDMI?

The two "temporary" DELL UltraSharps will experience quick black-screen flashing if I have the input source set to auto-detect / auto-select. I don't recall, but I think it was the monitor with the HDMI connection that had the flashing issue for me (one is connected via DisplayPort, and the other is through HDMI).

Also, which version graphics (GeForce) drivers you using, and have you tried the latest ones available from nVidia?

You could try the second PCI-Express slot on your motherboard; it may or may not help, though.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Are you using the HDMI connection for both monitors, and are there any adapters used to convert to HDMI or VGA (since your monitors are HDMI or VGA inputs).

In the monitor settings itself, is it set to auto-select input source, or manually set to use either VGA or HDMI?

The two "temporary" DELL UltraSharps will experience quick black-screen flashing if I have the input source set to auto-detect / auto-select. I don't recall, but I think it was the monitor with the HDMI connection that had the flashing issue for me (one is connected via DisplayPort, and the other is through HDMI).

Also, which version graphics (GeForce) drivers you using, and have you tried the latest ones available from nVidia?

You could try the second PCI-Express slot on your motherboard; it may or may not help, though.

I am using the DVI connector via an IO gear dvi to hdmi cable for the primary monitor, and an hdmi to hdmi connection fro the secondary monitor. Both are set to auto-detect inputs. I am using a clean install of the latest nvidia drivers, but have had this issue for almost 10 months, even after an RMA of the PSU and GPU.

I should mention as well: no matter which inputs i use for which monitors, it is always the one set to primary that blinks. I have no idea why.

Also, i noticed today that scrolling fast in facebook in google chrome especially triggered MULTIPLE flashes, lasting a good five minutes, again without any driver or hardware errors. I am now trying firefox for the fist time have have seen no problems. I have no idea how this could affect whatever is going on.

I have tried everything that was suggested, and to no avail. i Switched the cables around as well, just to be sure, and now both monitors flash black occasionally. Help.