PCIe SSD can decrease Graphics performance?

Catalonia

Hi Guys. 

I did some tests with an Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1 + Asus Strix 980 Ti + Intel 5930k + Samsung NV951 512GB

When booting from the PCIe SSD, i had lower framerate and 3DMark Score than when booting from a traditional HD connected in SATA 3. 

Does PCIe SSD takes bandwith from the PCIe x16 of the Graphics Card? Why this difference? 

Both OS were fresh installed, same drivers (only difference was Windows 10 in the SSD, and Windows 10 pro in the HD) this shouldn't be a reason, right?

Thanks

It shouldn't be a problem. What was the actual difference in frames and in 3DMARK score?

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

6 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

Hi Guys. 

I did some tests with an Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1 + Asus Strix 980 Ti + Intel 5930k + Samsung NV951 512GB

When booting from the PCIe SSD, i had lower framerate and 3DMark Score than when booting from a traditional HD connected in SATA 3. 

Does PCIe SSD takes bandwith from the PCIe x16 of the Graphics Card? Why this difference? 

Both OS were fresh installed, same drivers (only difference was Windows 10 in the SSD, and Windows 10 pro in the HD) this shouldn't be a reason, right?

Thanks

What were the results? and did you run the tests more than once to get consistent results?

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

It shouldn't be a problem. What was the actual difference in frames and in 3DMARK score?

I don't actually remember, (this happened last october) I'm trying to find out my results. I hope to have taken a screenshot so I can share it with you guys. 

It shouldn't negatively impact the game performace, unless the CPU already has too few PCI-e lanes, in which case it'll have to take lanes away from the graphics card for using them on the SSD.

1 minute ago, LLOYD-AF said:

What were the results? and did you run the tests more than once to get consistent results?

Yeps. 

Actually I took sooo many tests. In both, the PCIe SSD and the HDD-Sata. Since I had everything updated, fresh installs, same drivers, etc. I was completely shocked about this difference, and for this, and "other" reasons I returned the computer. 

I am now about to build a new one, and I am thinking about getting the new 950 Pro... But if I have to have a performance decrease I'll then go for the 850 Pro S-ata. Anyone here has a PCIe & a HDD S-Ata drive to run some tests?

1 minute ago, Tosa said:

It shouldn't negatively impact the game performace, unless the CPU already has too few PCI-e lanes, in which case it'll have to take lanes away from the graphics card for using them on the SSD.

The 5930 has 40 lanes, and I only took 16 from the graphics card. So, should have plenty left. 

Samsung NV951 is a OEM unit and its not the 950 Pro. It has a much lower warranty compare to 950 Pro and it's between you and the vendor not through Samsung. NVME also need drivers to work properly. Get a 950 Pro or better off just the 850 Pro.

950 Pro only benefits in certain workloads for normal everyday use or gaming, it won't bring any improvements. As for warranty, 950 Pro 5 years 850 Pro 10 years.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list