3rd Generation core i7 3770k upgrade

Hello guys,

I have an old 3770k + ASUS P8Z77 V Pro, with a new EVGA gtx 980ti Hybrid and a SSD samsung evo pro 850. I´m currently using a 4 way monitor setup, 1 for gaming (asus Rog PG278Q 27"), 2 and 3 for multitasking (Dell 24u14h 24"), 4 for movie watching (samsung 40" Led).

I wanted to do an upgrade that would be future proof for a while, at least 3 to 4 years.

what would you say would be the best bet for:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
water Cooler:

I was thinking about buying a 6700k + Asus ROG Maximus Extreme VIII, but is it worth it?

if upgrading id grab the x99 platform, otherwise it aint worth it, just oc the cpu by 400mhz

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Honestly the 3770K is still a solid CPU, going to the 6700K wouldn't be that different in my opinion. The 3770K should still be a contender in 3-4Years especially with a good overclock

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

if upgrading id grab the x99 platform, otherwise it aint worth it, just oc the cpu by 400mhz

I'm Having problems to overclock this cpu with my current setup, anything I try to do fails... I can only go as far as 3,9GHz (and that's the normal CPU boost)

1 minute ago, flashmz said:

I'm Having problems to overclock this cpu with my current setup, anything I try to do fails... I can only go as far as 3,9GHz (and that's the normal CPU boost)

see if you can add some power to the VCore, but yes an x99 would be a bit better more PCIE lanes, more oriented to what you do, but honestly Ivy Bridge is still a heck of a generation, and if you're having cooling problems delid the IHS

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

No it's not worth it. And I doubt you need the M8E unless you pour LN2 on your CPU frequently. Get a cheaper one with the same features 'gamers' like. And I'm also fairly sure that upgrade costs as much as X99..

1 minute ago, harrynowl said:

No it's not worth it. And I doubt you need the M8E unless you pour LN2 on your CPU frequently. Get a cheaper one with the same features 'gamers' like. And I'm also fairly sure that upgrade costs as much as X99..

it does, I agree he should stick to the 3770K

15 minutes ago, flashmz said:

Hello guys,

I have an old 3770k + ASUS P8Z77 V Pro, with a new EVGA gtx 980ti Hybrid and a SSD samsung evo pro 850. I´m currently using a 4 way monitor setup, 1 for gaming (asus Rog PG278Q 27"), 2 and 3 for multitasking (Dell 24u14h 24"), 4 for movie watching (samsung 40" Led).

I wanted to do an upgrade that would be future proof for a while, at least 3 to 4 years.

what would you say would be the best bet for:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
water Cooler:

I was thinking about buying a 6700k + Asus ROG Maximus Extreme VIII, but is it worth it?

6700k is a good choice if gaming is your primary purpose. People praise the x99 platform but even in really well programmed games a strong single core is still very important. Im not saying in any way that the X99 platform would be a bad choice, Im just saying pick the best tool for the job.

So, general consent is that I can wait for a few more years before upgrading my CPU + MOBO + RAM. Cuz my 3770k is still rocking :P?

Not worth it to upgrade, you'll be disappointed especially for gaming. Intel has been quite lazy ever since 2011, AMD needs to step up. I was expecting at least 45% IPC improvement over 3 years. OC'ing your 3770K to 4.5GHz would most likely match a stock 6700K.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3770K/3502vs1317

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/12

"Overall, Skylake is not an earth shattering leap in performance. In our IPC testing, with CPUs at 3 GHz, we saw a 5.7% increase in performance over a Haswell processor at the same clockspeed and ~ 25% gains over Sandy Bridge. That 5.7% value masks the fact that between Haswell and Skylake, we have Broadwell, marking a 5.7% increase for a two generation gap."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

4 hours ago, flashmz said:

So, general consent is that I can wait for a few more years before upgrading my CPU + MOBO + RAM. Cuz my 3770k is still rocking :P?

It's definitely rocking lol, in fact my dad has a 3770K OC'd to edit photos, encode, and process media files, it blows the doors off most modern CPUs and gives my Sandy Bridge-E 3960X a run for its money. If you want a bit more performance give the VCore a boost and OC more and maybe add some more ram, you can go up to 32GB but, you already have 16GB that should be plenty for the forseeable future