External drive on internal sata issue.

Hi there! 

First time poster here and I'm after some advice on how to access my 2TB seagate HDD, it was a external drive until the PCB failed, at that point I disassembled the drive and attached it to one of my sata ports on my Gigabyte Z170m d3h and its showing only the free space on the partition.

Help pls?

pictures? Dont know what u'r talking about.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

The PCB must have had some other functionality that just USB/SATA conversion. Like encryption or privilege management/sharing and so on. And now that it's gone, it's crapping up. Back it up and remove all partitions, create new ones and I'll bet it'll work just fine.

6 hours ago, DepartingGate12 said:

~snip~

Hey :) Welcome to the community! 

My two cents on this: Have in mind that some external enclosures come with dedicated encrypting chips for hardware encryption and other features that prevent the drive from being read when outside the enclosure. I would check the features of the model that you have and verify that there's nothing like that. 

Do you need the data on that drive? If not, filling the drive with zeros should reset it to its factory state and should be ready to go if it's in good health. Is it visible in Device Manager, Disk Management and My Computer?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey :) Welcome to the community! 

My two cents on this: Have in mind that some external enclosures come with dedicated encrypting chips for hardware encryption and other features that prevent the drive from being read when outside the enclosure. I would check the features of the model that you have and verify that there's nothing like that. 

Do you need the data on that drive? If not, filling the drive with zeros should reset it to its factory state and should be ready to go if it's in good health. Is it visible in Device Manager, Disk Management and My Computer?

Captain_WD.

Damn, I thought this might be the case, any way of decrypting the data?

18 hours ago, DepartingGate12 said:

~snip~

I would turn to a data recovery company for that as decryption of data can be quite dangerous to it, if this is the case. I would contact the manufacturer for this and see what their support has to say about it.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/