how do i install debian 6 onto usb

Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,
21 minutes ago, Ben Potter said:

Hi,

Like RedWulf said, you cannot install to the drive you are installing from. However, you can download prebuilt ISOs from VirtualBox's website. You can also use https://www.turnkeylinux.org/ to download a pre-configured image with Debian. You can use Rufus to burn one of these images to your USB drive.

Not disagreeing with what he has, but if you just want to start into linux, you can download the typical debian image or most any linux iso from their host site and use yumi or LILI to make a live bootable thumb drive. You can play with it from the usb without installing to the PC and then install later. Ubuntu also lets you set persistents files, 4gb will work. 

i have a bootable usb stick with debian installer. how do i install it on the same usb drive?

I'm fairly certain you cant install to the drive you have it on, you can use a live version from usb

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Hi,

Like RedWulf said, you cannot install to the drive you are installing from. However, you can download prebuilt ISOs from VirtualBox's website. You can also use https://www.turnkeylinux.org/ to download a pre-configured image with Debian. You can use Rufus to burn one of these images to your USB drive.

Good luck!

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

21 minutes ago, Ben Potter said:

Hi,

Not disagreeing with what he has, but if you just want to start into linux, you can download the typical debian image or most any linux iso from their host site and use yumi or LILI to make a live bootable thumb drive. You can play with it from the usb without installing to the PC and then install later. Ubuntu also lets you set persistents files, 4gb will work. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]