Default Linux (Debian) Password?

Installed Debian 8 live to try and make my first home server (Following this guide from user MG2R). After booting from a USB drive and selecting the command line install option, it asks me for the username and password. I tried several combinations, and tried many more from google with no luck. I've attached a picture of the error message. I won't be able to get to the computer until tomorrow, but I will be here to answer any questions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

20160411_204843.jpg

Next, it's time to configure the first user account. This user account will automatically inherit the sudo right if you opted to leave the root password blank

^ from the guide you linked

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Try root for login and password for password

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

if i remember correctly on debian based distro's you generally log in with the "first user account" you created in the install process.

1 minute ago, Lukiewookie said:

Try root for login and password for password

the linux world seems to generally prefer root/root for default login/passwd, or root/<random string>

Its either blank, root, or password unless you set an account up. Its possible that the distributor set a password if its not from a typical deb mirror

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

17 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Next, it's time to configure the first user account. This user account will automatically inherit the sudo right if you opted to leave the root password blank

^ from the guide you linked

14 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Its either blank, root, or password unless you set an account up. Its possible that the distributor set a password if its not from a typical deb mirror

Feel like such an idiot, must have read over that in the guide, username was root and password was blank. Thank you guys so much!

7 minutes ago, Jackhog said:

Feel like such an idiot, must have read over that in the guide, username was root and password was blank. Thank you guys so much!

We all do it, but always read for the logins, as many distros have custom logins.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Okay, so you should have 1 administrator account.

Do this:

1. Login to your administrator password.
  2. Type "sudo su"
  3. Put your admin password.
  4. You're root now, now type "passwd" and change the password.
  5. Now everytime you login as "root" just the password you've just made.

Didn't see if it was Debian installer, sorry.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold