HDD load when idle

Insane Mana Junk

Like the tittle says. When i use the pc its all ok. but when i go afk for like 2 minutes, i find my pc / hd working like machine gun. So i know the disk is old so i know that when it works its gonna make noise, Question is why?

i checked the disk for errors but it says its ok. While back i decided to go form win7 to win10 to test win10 but also because i though maybe this fixes it. Complete new fresh install. But no. Already checked for the skype fix but that wasnt it.

It is the same when i boot the pc, it will put the hard drive to work for at least 10 to 15 minutes, After this it calms down and sits "idle"

Thing that i find that is using it the most is "system and compressed" memory.

Hoping you guys can give me an answer before it "drives" me crazy.

Atm i have no money for an ssd or new hd so thats not an option. Even if it cant be fixed i would like to know why its doing this so i can maybe accept it. 

system specs: http://valid.x86.fr/afkvg7

5 minutes ago, Insane Mana Junk said:

Like the tittle says. When i use the pc its all ok. but when i go afk for like 2 minutes, i find my pc / hd working like machine gun. So i know the disk is old so i know that when it works its gonna make noise, Question is why?

i checked the disk for errors but it says its ok. While back i decided to go form win7 to win10 to test win10 but also because i though maybe this fixes it. Complete new fresh install. But no. Already checked for the skype fix but that wasnt it.

It is the same when i boot the pc, it will put the hard drive to work for at least 10 to 15 minutes, After this it calms down and sits "idle"

Thing that i find that is using it the most is "system and compressed" memory.

Hoping you guys can give me an answer before it "drives" me crazy.

Atm i have no money for an ssd or new hd so thats not an option. Even if it cant be fixed i would like to know why its doing this so i can maybe accept it. 

system specs: http://valid.x86.fr/afkvg7

Is your RAM under heavy load?

If it's accessing virtual memory on the HDD it would cripple it's performance. 

In Task Manager, does it show the HDD under heavy load?

Almost as cool as my temps  

What does it show in task manager?
Maybe ur hdd is bored :o

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

when was the last time you defragment your hard drive?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

55 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

when was the last time you defragment your hard drive?

2 days ago. the win 10 install is 14 days old this Friday. Also i checked for errors, but its fine.

58 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

What does it show in task manager?
Maybe ur hdd is bored :o

Allot, will post a screenshot of u need this info

3 minutes ago, Insane Mana Junk said:

2 days ago. the win 10 install is 14 days old this Friday. Also i checked for errors, but its fine.

is your hard disk going through something like this?

edit: around 3:48

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

is your hard disk going through something like this?

edit: around 3:48

Im not sure, cuz when im using the pc it is "fast" only when i start idle does the "workload"  begin.

Its late now (netherlands 21:30) and prmo gaming time. But i will make a short vid about the issue 2morrow showing all relevant info.

1 minute ago, Insane Mana Junk said:

Im not sure, cuz when im using the pc it is "fast" only when i start idle does the "workload"  begin.

Its late now (netherlands 21:30) and prmo gaming time. But i will make a short vid about the issue 2morrow showing all relevant info.

welp, u just reminded that i should go to sleep

3:29am :D

15 hours ago, Insane Mana Junk said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Which drive is causing the issues? I would recommend to check both drives' raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see if they show you something. If you are not sure how to read them I would recommend posting them here and we will gladly help you out. :)

I would also recommend using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool for checking the health (for the WD drive that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic).

Do you have any applications that are set to use the drive when you are not doing it (antimalware, caching, defragging, dumping memory on the pagefile, etc.)? Maybe some of those are using your drive.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/