960 or 970?

Seminole

Yes, the 970 is worth the extra 100. But for even better value, get an R9 380.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

1 minute ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

get an R9 380.

Do you mean 390?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Just now, AlphaGamer46 said:

Yes, the 970 is worth the extra 100. But for even better value, get an R9 380.

The 380 (and AMD GPUs in general) aren't very friendly with dual cores surprisingly, that's why I'm not even considering it.

But okay, I'll probably settle on the 970

Just now, Seminole said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GjtYpg

I'm pretty set on this build (willing to take suggestions) I was just wondering if I should go for the 960 or the 970? Is the 970 worth the extra $100?

drop the water cooler,get a h110 board and get an i5... there is no need for a z170 and water cooling on a locked cpu

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

Get a cheaper mobo and aim for an i5 , DO NOT get that aio cooler, a 212 evo will perform similarly while being quieter

and the 380 works great with a dual core. why wouldn't it... in reality for that budget you could get a locked i5, h110 board, and a 390 very easily

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

what am i looking at `-`

i3 + AIO + z170 + 3200mhz ram + 750W psu

its so unbalanced D: i cringed slightly

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Get the GTX 970. Though on paper the R9 390 does look better, I would still go with Team Green on this.

Just now, astranger200 said:

drop the water cooler,get a h110 board and get an i5... there is no need for a z170 and water cooling on a locked cpu

It's for upgrading in the future, and the case is so small that an air cooler won't fit lol. I'm going to base clock the sh*t out of that CPU and the RAM though (the 6320 can go up to 4.9GHz supposedly).

2 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Get a cheaper mobo and aim for an i5 , DO NOT get that aio cooler, a 212 evo will perform similarly while being quieter

Like I said I'm locked in on water-cooling, and the mobo has really good built in wifi/bluetooth too.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

what am i looking at `-`

Lol moonzy's on my thread! Haha I already covered most of what you said. But the PSU is just because the Supernova is so cheap. The RAM is just because I'm ballin like that. And the mobo is for future upgrading and also because I might SLI in the future.

and I love hyperthreading what can I say?

here's a more balanced build ._.

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zNfgYJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zNfgYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.69 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.75 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($294.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $956.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-11 04:50 EDT-0400

the cpu cooler is unnecessary if you dont mind stock cooler

1 minute ago, Seminole said:

because I might SLI in the future.

i dont think you can sli on an ITX motherboard `-`

i dont think you can sli on an ITX motherboard `-`

I didn't think of that lol.

Why do you want to water-cool a locked CPU? The glory days of Skylake BCLK are gone. Microcode through Windows and BIOS updates put a stopper in that.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Microcode through Windows and BIOS updates put a stopper in that.

you can just not update and what not but bleh, its not worth the hassle to OC a locked chip lol

14 minutes ago, Seminole said:

The 380 (and AMD GPUs in general) aren't very friendly with dual cores surprisingly, that's why I'm not even considering it.

But okay, I'll probably settle on the 970

That is not correct - AMD cards require strong cores, not more cores. A R9 390 or 380 would be better

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you can just not update and what not but bleh, its not worth the hassle to OC a locked chip lol

Exactly. That was a bug, rather than a Christmas gift from Intel, and it's going to be pretty inconvenient to not update your OS or BIOS.

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what am i looking at `-`

Probably wants to overclock the i3.

Still though, with that budget no SSD?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Probably wants to overclock the i3.

It isn't a good idea for the aforementioned reasons. Intel didn't intend for that to happen, and they'll probably succeed at making it extremely inconvenient to keep that feature operational.

Just now, Aereldor said:

It isn't a good idea for the aforementioned reasons. Intel didn't intend for that to happen, and they'll probably succeed at making it extremely inconvenient to keep that feature operational.

I'm going to hope that the tighter competition 'motivates' Intel to not remove the feature in the future. And having to run a non-OC'd skylake isn't the end of the world.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I'm going to hope that the tighter competition 'motivates' Intel to not remove the feature in the future. And having to run a non-OC'd skylake isn't the end of the world.

Certainly, but there's no reason to have an AIO watercooling loop on one of those.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Certainly, but there's no reason to have an AIO watercooling loop on one of those.

Maybe OP likes the looks of an AIO. That's about the only reason to choose it over a fin tower.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

That is not correct - AMD cards require strong cores, not more cores. A R9 390 or 380 would be better

amd card required more cpu overhead, end of story

its the games that requires more or less cores, but yea stronger cores does perform better for amd cards

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

with that budget no SSD?

no ssd is still fine, but $1000 pc with an i3 `-` it killed a part of me lol

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I'm going to hope that the tighter competition 'motivates' Intel to not remove the feature in the future.

u wish :P marketing > consumers' wishes

9 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Exactly. That was a bug, rather than a Christmas gift from Intel, and it's going to be pretty inconvenient to not update your OS or BIOS.

to be fair, i think asrock is still fighting against it to have an external chip to overclock the bclk or something lul

Just now, Moonzy said:

to be fair, i think asrock is still fighting against it to have an external chip to overclock the bclk or something lul

Didn't Super Micro already do that by adding some sort of bypass module to an H170 motherboard? Luke showed it off at CES earlier this year.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Didn't Super Micro already do that by adding some sort of bypass module to an H170 motherboard? Luke showed it off at CES earlier this year.

probably, but its still stupid imo lol

just buy oc chip if you wanna oc that bad, end of argument