X99 vs X79

Hey guys I am kind of building a new X99 computer, but hit a point that I am doing a double take and wondering if I really should upgrade right now. Any thoughts? I would go from 3930k to 5820k. Is it really worth all the extra money for a little bit faster CPUs and m.2 support?

why do you need a new x99 computer

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why do you need a new x99 computer

I figured it would give me all the new goodies like m.2, DDR 4, and the like, but now that I am partially into it, idk if I want to keep going... My 3930k has been a trooper and I don't think I need anything else for now. Maybe once Skylake-e comes out, but for now I would rather save up for a really nice audio solution rather than a new computer

3 minutes ago, MoInMo said:

I figured it would give me all the new goodies like m.2, DDR 4, and the like, but now that I am partially into it, idk if I want to keep going... My 3930k has been a trooper and I don't think I need anything else for now. Maybe once Skylake-e comes out, but for now I would rather save up for a really nice audio solution rather than a new computer

why do you need m.2 and ddr4

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why do you need m.2 and ddr4

I honestly don't know. I thought it would be cool to have the newest and "coolest" thing but I was wrong. I would rather put the money towards audio and water cooling I guess

1 minute ago, MoInMo said:

I honestly don't know. I thought it would be cool to have the newest and "coolest" thing but I was wrong. I would rather put the money towards audio and water cooling I guess

these are questions you need to ask yourself before you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on stuff that you dont need

every few months or years new hardware is released

if you always need to have the newest stuff then you're going to go bankrupt really quick

save some money and buy the stuff you really need

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

these are questions you need to ask yourself before you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on stuff that you dont need

every few months or years new hardware is released

if you always need to have the newest stuff then you're going to go bankrupt really quick

save some money and buy the stuff you really need

Thanks for that. I honestly never really asked myself why I wanted it other than bragging rights really. I honestly need to put those questions somewhere where I read them often as I do impulse buy a lot

2 hours ago, MoInMo said:

Hey guys I am kind of building a new X99 computer, but hit a point that I am doing a double take and wondering if I really should upgrade right now. Any thoughts? I would go from 3930k to 5820k. Is it really worth all the extra money for a little bit faster CPUs and m.2 support?

my x99:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7381702

my mates x79:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7434077

He is about 10% slower on the CPU than me but hes still getting 18k physics - thats not fu$%ing around.

He has more memory bandwidth with prime ddr3 compared to my average ddr4

My CPU is easier to cool but his overclocks are far more typical than mine. 4.9ghz on a 5820k is quite rare.

x79 -> x99 is really not worth... x58 is but not x79.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.