SSD vs. HDD

GrimScoreLP
Go to solution Solved by doomsriker,

I would go with a hard drive(s) for editing

videos. The fact of the mater is that haveing more storage will go further than having a solid state drive. Also, buying a solid state drive over 500ish GB is a waste of money in the current market. That being said, I would have to agree with Moonzy that (assuming you have room in your case) you should use a 250gb for editing the videos, and one or more hard drives for storeing your finished videos and other data. Furthermore, the trasfer speeds of a quality 250-512gb ssd will be generaly better than that of a 1tb ssd (something that maters when you are downloading your raw video). If you can get away with slaping a few hard drives in your rig along with the ssd than I would do that. If you absalutely need an ssd, you would save a fair bit of money and achieve higher transfer speeds puting a few lower capacity solid state drives in raid zero. Hope that helps. Good luck.

I'm looking into a 1TB ssd, or a 3 TB hdd for recording videos and editing videos on. I'm not sure what to buy as I'm not incredibly informed on the differences. Can someone help?

for the price of a 1tb ssd, you could probably get 2 or 3 hdd's and raid them together.

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

I would buy a 256GB or 512GB ssd to work on it and 3TB hdd for storage, or just raid hdd like bloader said

12 minutes ago, GrimScoreLP said:

recording videos and editing videos

what bit rate are you recording on? a HDD will usually be fine with normal recording, unless u're recording on high bit rate then you'll need the speed of an SSD

as for editing, an SSD will save you some time

but i recommend 250gb SSD + 2tb HDD for the best mix

or 500gb SSD + 3TB HDD for the price sweetspot

HDD for mass storage while the SSD is for the video files you're working on

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

videos. The fact of the mater is that haveing more storage will go further than having a solid state drive. Also, buying a solid state drive over 500ish GB is a waste of money in the current market. That being said, I would have to agree with Moonzy that (assuming you have room in your case) you should use a 250gb for editing the videos, and one or more hard drives for storeing your finished videos and other data. Furthermore, the trasfer speeds of a quality 250-512gb ssd will be generaly better than that of a 1tb ssd (something that maters when you are downloading your raw video). If you can get away with slaping a few hard drives in your rig along with the ssd than I would do that. If you absalutely need an ssd, you would save a fair bit of money and achieve higher transfer speeds puting a few lower capacity solid state drives in raid zero. Hope that helps. Good luck.

10 hours ago, doomsriker said:

So my best bet is an SSD to transfer to for editing videos and a HDD (or a few) for storing. Any suggestions on what to buy? I have a samsung 840 EVO Series 250 gb ssd but for my OS and it's really quick and nice but as I understand it's a pretty old model.

3 hours ago, GrimScoreLP said:

So my best bet is an SSD to transfer to for editing videos and a HDD (or a few) for storing. Any suggestions on what to buy? I have a samsung 840 EVO Series 250 gb ssd but for my OS and it's really quick and nice but as I understand it's a pretty old model.

That 840 EVO should work just fine. Not anything out there with so much of a performence improvement that it would warrent replacement. As far as hard drives go, wedtern digital blues are a pretty safe bet, but western digital blacks are a bit more solid (but more expensive as well. I have a 1tb blue and 2tb black in my rig and both work well. It is your call, but id recomend one or the other. Good luck. 

You'll want to have one drive to write to and one to read from so you aren't bottle-necked by the read head or the bus (also known as having a scratch disk). Seeing as a 1TB SSD costs about 3x as much as a 3TB HDD, you could afford to do a 480GB scratch disk SSD and 3TB HDD for archival for the price of a single 1TB SSD. 

i7-4790K | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | Corsair 350D | 256GB Crucial MX100 / 1TB WD Blue | Corsair RM 650 | NH-U12S
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XN2dC | http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Deil_Grist