UTP cable CAT 5E with slow transfer rates

Hello ppl

I'm connecting my laptop to my desktop using this cable which is supposed to transfer files at 100 MB/s when the distance between two hosts is no longer than 100 meters.

Both computers are separated by barely 50 cm and the transfer rate I get is only 20 MB/s. Anyone knows how can I rise the transfer speed? THX in advance.

The cable specs are the following:

Copartner E188601-U (UL) Type CM 26AWG/4PRS UTP Verified CAT.5E Patch Cable to TIA/EIA-568-B.2     LL84201 CSA TYPE CMG FT4

$_57.JPG

It's most likely the storage drives on the two computers. Are they HDDs or SSDs and what models?

The type of file being transferred can also affect speed:

ie: large contiguous files vs smaller files, this has to do with sustained I/O vs random I/O.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Hi again. 

Thx for the quick response. I didn't think you'd answer this fast. 

I am transferring a 1.5 Gb (3gp) file from the laptop to the desktop.

These are the CPU specs for each computer. I'll be very grateful to know if there's anything I can do to speed up the file transfer process.

Laptop CPU Specs

Brand

Western Digital

Series

Scorpio Blue

Model

WD5000BEVT

Packaging

Bare Drive

Performance

Interface

SATA 3.0Gb/s

Capacity

500GB

Cache

8MB

Average Latency

5.5ms

RPM

5400 RPM

Desktop CPU Specs

Brand

Western Digital

Series

Blue

Model

WD5000AAKX

Packaging

Bare Drive

Performance

Interface

SATA 3.0Gb/s

Capacity

500GB

RPM

7200 RPM

Cache

16MB

Half of it will be your laptop HDD. the WD Scorpio blue is only rated for ~50MBPS READ speeds. This mean even thought your network supports 100MBPS your drive isn't going to use it all.

Next as your transferring from a laptop to a desktop... do you normally connect your laptop or desktop to wireless? if so you may have been connected via wireless.

@T-1000 that transfer speed doesn't seem quite right.

You should be seeing around 50 Mbps on the low end. It really depends on the hard drive, file system, and the file being transferred.

Your 1.5 Gb file should be fairly contiguous.  

Can you try running CrystalDiskMark on both the laptop and desktop from http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Set the test file size to 1 Gb and run the benchmark. Test again with an 2Gb file size.

What are your results? Here's an example from my laptop:

Sy7SbBF.png

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

12 hours ago, Blake said:

Half of it will be your laptop HDD. the WD Scorpio blue is only rated for ~50MBPS READ speeds. This mean even thought your network supports 100MBPS your drive isn't going to use it all.

Next as your transferring from a laptop to a desktop... do you normally connect your laptop or desktop to wireless? if so you may have been connected via wireless.

I always connect both computers through the Ethernet cable and only use wireless for my phone. I'll run  CrystalDiskMark  as suggested by ionbasa and come back to post the results.

11 hours ago, ionbasa said:

@T-1000 that transfer speed doesn't seem quite right.

You should be seeing around 50 Mbps on the low end. It really depends on the hard drive, file system, and the file being transferred.

Your 1.5 Gb file should be fairly contiguous.  

Can you try running CrystalDiskMark on both the laptop and desktop from http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Set the test file size to 1 Gb and run the benchmark. Test again with an 2Gb file size.

What are your results? Here's an example from my laptop:

Sy7SbBF.png

Thanks I'll post the results in a couple of mins.

Well I still don't get it. 

I transferred a 989 Mb 3GP file from the laptop to the desktop.

On the laptop, CrystalDiskMark didn't output any results.

On the Desktop CrystalDiskMark showed that the file was transfer at a speed of 99 Mb, although the dialog box in the laptop said the file was transferred at a speed of 71.3 MB/s (which is actually faster than the first time I worked on it, but still I don't get the best performance out of the cable).

Here's the screenshot 

printscreen.png