£3000 first build

rossta

Hi,

I'm planning on the following configuration and am after some advice on the following...

Cooling - is it sufficient and can anyone recommend locations for additional/existing fans if known?

SSD - i've split 2TB into 2 x 1TB purely from a backup/failure perspective. Planning on running them in RAID 1

GFX - I was totally unsure which 980Ti to go for here so not a clue if this one has anything special to know about?

Link to the build components here..

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6bdfK8

Probably should mention that usage is for gaming (AAA titles mainly) and general workstation, photo editing etc

you could save money by not buying an overpriced mobo and overpriced ram, and getting a nice looking case instead. stock fans are always sufficient, if you wanna go overboard just replace all of them and fill the entire case with noctuas.

Do you plan on SLI in the future ?

3 minutes ago, rossta said:

Hi,

I'm planning on the following configuration and am after some advice on the following...

Cooling - is it sufficient and can anyone recommend locations for additional/existing fans if known?

SSD - i've split 2TB into 2 x 1TB purely from a backup/failure perspective. Planning on running them in RAID 1

GFX - I was totally unsure which 980Ti to go for here so not a clue if this one has anything special to know about?

Link to the build components here..

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6bdfK8

Probably should mention that usage is for gaming (AAA titles mainly) and general workstation, photo editing etc

What do you need 32GB of RAM for? Furthermore, instead of spending double what you should on an SSD, why not simply set up a backup 1TB HDD? You could include 980TIs in SLI if you go with a more reasonable 16 gigabytes of RAM and an SSD+HDD/Backup HDD solution. 

Just now, lee32uk said:

Do you plan on SLI in the future ?

possibly, or more likely is ill just replace the 980Ti with a newer/better model at the time. Im hoping this thing will last me a few years use though before i get to that

3 minutes ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

you could save money by not buying an overpriced mobo and overpriced ram, and getting a nice looking case instead. stock fans are always sufficient, if you wanna go overboard just replace all of them and fill the entire case with noctuas.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

What do you need 32GB of RAM for? Furthermore, instead of spending double what you should on an SSD, why not simply set up a backup 1TB HDD? You could include 980TIs in SLI if you go with a more reasonable 16 gigabytes of RAM and an SSD+HDD/Backup HDD solution. 

have always assumed more is better for RAM ?? please put me straight if not!

I already have a 4TB NAS so storage not an issue for files etc - i wanted a fast SSD config for games installs but want a bit of redundancy in case 1 fails

2 minutes ago, rossta said:

I already have a 4TB NAS so storage not an issue for files etc - i wanted a fast SSD config for games installs but want a bit of redundancy in case 1 fails

32 GB is overkill unless you do professional video editing, software/game development, music production etc. Go for 16 GB.

2 minutes ago, rossta said:

Unless you're doing very critical work, periodic backups will be an adequate solution, especially since it'll allow you to allocate more towards GPU horsepower instead.

Even the most memory-intensive titles don't use over 8 gigabytes of RAM, and it'll be a while before they use anywhere near 16. You could even multitask or stream with 16 gigabytes of RAM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£289.98 @ Ebuyer) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£106.56 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£104.72 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£56.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£308.28 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.85 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£529.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£529.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair Carbide 400Q ATX Mid Tower Case  (£72.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£170.47 @ Dabs) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)  (£79.99) 
Monitor: LG 34UC98 60Hz 34.0" Monitor  (£733.38 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £3022.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 16:54 BST+0100

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

32 GB is overkill unless you do professional video editing, software/game development, music production etc. Go for 16 GB.

thanks

one more question on that (excuse the ignorance), am i better opting for 4 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB? read somewhere that splitting into more parts (ie 4x4) means quicker response?

The workstation part in your build description doesn't work with the build you're showing us. i7-6700k is great for gaming but if you're gonna be editing and doing creation stuff all the time an i7 5820k-5930k would've been better, even the 5960x if it would fit in the budget. But if the editing is more of a hobby then okay, stay with the 6700k but lower the ram, no need for 32 gigs

6 minutes ago, rossta said:

beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

The 400Q doesn't have a window. You would need the 400C version.

Are you just doing casual workstation stuff ? Or is it for your line of work ? 

5 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

The workstation part in your build description doesn't work with the build you're showing us. i7-6700k is great for gaming but if you're gonna be editing and doing creation stuff all the time an i7 5820k-5930k would've been better, even the 5960x if it would fit in the budget. But if the editing is more of a hobby then okay, stay with the 6700k but lower the ram, no need for 32 gigs

workstation stuff is more hobbyist - main purpose will be gaming (im also hoping to utilise Steam Link as well in the house)

5 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The 400Q doesn't have a window. You would need the 400C version.

Are you just doing casual workstation stuff ? Or is it for your line of work ? 

i prefer the closed look (and quietness) of the 400Q. never been a fan of looking at internals of PCs to be honest!

2 hours ago, rossta said:

workstation stuff is more hobbyist - main purpose will be gaming (im also hoping to utilise Steam Link as well in the house)

then there's no need for 32 gigs, especially the platinum dominator one

ok, so this (i think) is what ive settled on...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9Zbr99

It gives me ability to upgrade to SLI in future (hence the overkill PSU) and also add more memory later as required

only thoughts at the moment are that chip only supports 16x PCi-E lanes so if I expand to 2 x 980Ti later on they will only run at 8x 8x ? is this correct and will performance even increase if that's the case?

any thoughts appreciated

3 minutes ago, rossta said:

ok, so this (i think) is what ive settled on...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9Zbr99

It gives me ability to upgrade to SLI in future and also add more memory later as required

any thoughts appreciated

You need more powerful PSU.