Razer Blackwidow Key switch replacement

I was just wondering, since no one in the Razer forums mentioned this, is it possible to replace the Razer's green switches with Cherry MX ones and still keep the RGB LEDs? and will it work or are there any consequences in doing such modding?

Please link me if you have seen this been done before. Thanks and Good day :D

Well they're not using SMD LEDs so you'd have to desolder the LED which would suck, pretty sure it's 4 pins for RGB, then you'd have problems getting the LED to work with the LED holes on a Cherry MX switch (MX switches only have holes for 2 leads ie single color LEDs). For Cherry RGB all they did was make the housing clear so you'd shine an SMD LED through it. You could replace the switches with Gateron switches which have a long slot that accommodates 4 leads. Outemu also have long slot, but I didn't like their construction, they've cut corners to reduce their cost and save plastic.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

3 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Well they're not using SMD LEDs so you'd have to desolder the LED which would suck, pretty sure it's 4 pins for RGB, then you'd have problems getting the LED to work with the LED holes on a Cherry MX switch (MX switches only have holes for 2 leads ie single color LEDs). For Cherry RGB all they did was make the housing clear so you'd shine an SMD LED through it. You could replace the switches with Gateron switches which have a long slot that accommodates 4 leads. Outemu also have long slot, but I didn't like their construction, they've cut corners to reduce their cost and save plastic.

Oh so Gateron would be the ideal switch to replace the Razer ones then~ thanks a bunch :D

Massdrop just happens to be doing a Gateron drop now. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gateron-switches

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS