S4 and S7 edge help

EmperorCake

ok so I'm wondering if its possible to take the sim card out of a galaxy s4, put it in a brand new unlocked galaxy s7 edge and would it operate as the same phone as my s4 currently is? 

iirc S4 uses a micro sim card here

the S7 now uses a Nano sim

you could try cutting the SIM card to nano size

But i suggest you get a proper nano sim from your telco for better assurance

but cutting your sim means a costly replacement

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yes, but you'll have to trim your sim down to size as S4 uses a MicroSIM while S7 uses a NanoSIM. 

3 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

But i suggest you get a proper nano sim from your telco for better assurance

but cutting your sim means a costly replacement

I always try cutting it anyways, cause even if it breaks, you'll have had to buy a new one anyways. It's not like you have anything to lose. And if you have sharp scissors and a nail file it's not that hard.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Just now, EcoBoost said:

Yes, but you'll have to cut your sim down to size as S4 uses a MicroSIM while S7 uses a NanoSIM. 

I always try cutting it anyways, cause even if it breaks, you'll have had to buy a new one anyways. It's not like you have anything to lose.

good point here DIY cutting can do the trick

but in my case i went to a local mobile phone shop and got it cut by the sales assistant.

only charged 4 dollars for the cutting service, if they did damage it, there will be no charges

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

9 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

good point here DIY cutting can do the trick

but in my case i went to a local mobile phone shop and got it cut by the sales assistant.

only charged 4 dollars for the cutting service, if they did damage it, there will be no charges

yeah so my case is that I'm on a 2 year free phone plan and i won't even get another upgrade till august of next year. this s4 is super outdated. so all i have to do is buy the s7 edge, take both phones to the phone shop and have them make the sim fit? 

17 minutes ago, EmperorCake said:

yeah so my case is that I'm on a 2 year free phone plan and i won't even get another upgrade till august of next year. this s4 is super outdated. so all i have to do is buy the s7 edge, take both phones to the phone shop and have them make the sim fit? 

yes because the sim card size is smaller on the S7

you will need to cut it to the nano size which is pretty much the same size as the shiny gold part where the chip is

If you check your operator, they can use your exact same mobile phone number and switch to another card that fits the size of your new phone. DIY sim cards in my opinion is a recipe for disaster, luckly its not an expensive component.

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

If you check your operator, they can use your exact same mobile phone number and switch to another card that fits the size of your new phone. DIY sim cards in my opinion is a recipe for disaster, luckly its not an expensive component.

Not really a recipe for disaster when you think about it.

If you don't try cutting your SIM and just go buy a new one, you spend $10.

If you try cutting your SIM and it breaks, you still spend $10.

If you try cutting your SIM and it works, you at least have that chance of saving $10.

It's not like you have anything to lose. If you're willing to just buy a new SIM, why not try cutting the old one anyways?

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

6 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

Not really a recipe for disaster when you think about it.

If you don't try cutting your SIM and just go buy a new one, you spend $10.

If you try cutting your SIM and it breaks, you still spend $10.

If you try cutting your SIM and it works, you at least have that chance of saving $10.

It's not like you have anything to lose. If you're willing to just buy a new SIM, why not try cutting the old one anyways?

like your name reminds me of ford lol imma just have someone at phone store cut the sim or something that way the blame is on them

7 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

-snip-

Because im 90% sure it will fail, since i cant get myself a proper cutter and nano-sim mold to work on with it. I know its not like its impossible to do, but im not the most precise hand, im a little nervous so i get chills when holding moderately heavy items/too small ones and even when just letting my hands "float". Might work and might not, so i simply prefer to not waste time trying to do something that for me is nowhere easy when i could simply go to the operator assistance store and ask for a number transfer to a new card, for half the price of a new sim :p.

Groomlake Authority

On 4/8/2016 at 3:05 PM, VerticalDiscussions said:

Because im 90% sure it will fail, since i cant get myself a proper cutter and nano-sim mold to work on with it. I know its not like its impossible to do, but im not the most precise hand, im a little nervous so i get chills when holding moderately heavy items/too small ones and even when just letting my hands "float". Might work and might not, so i simply prefer to not waste time trying to do something that for me is nowhere easy when i could simply go to the operator assistance store and ask for a number transfer to a new card, for half the price of a new sim :p.

That's what I thought myself, but after going though it carefully and sanding it down with a nail file rather than cutting too close with scissors, it worked. After doing it quite a few times for people, I've actually never broken a SIM by cutting it. It sounds harder than it is.