Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm vs ATH-M50X

tigerx95

Which one would you recommend?

For me, the pro's of the M50X's are:

- detachable cable, 3 cables in different sizes are included

My pro's of the DT770's:

- look more comfortable, cheaper

I like closed back headphones, it's mainly for music/movies.

Let me hear your thoughts

easy one DT 770 since sound quality and soundstage is better.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

As an owner of the ATH-M50x's, I can say they're awesome! But it depends, on what you will be using them for. For me, the M50x's can get uncomfortable after like 2 hours or so. If you plan to be wearing these for extended listening, go for the Bayers. If you plan to use them like me (in a lab, couple of hours at a time and fold them up small to go in a bag), go M50x's. 

Either way, it'll be a good upgrade on some cheap cans or in ears!

27 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

easy one DT 770 since sound quality and soundstage is better.

24 minutes ago, lewisedwards said:

As an owner of the ATH-M50x's, I can say they're awesome! But it depends, on what you will be using them for. For me, the M50x's can get uncomfortable after like 2 hours or so. If you plan to be wearing these for extended listening, go for the Bayers. If you plan to use them like me (in a lab, couple of hours at a time and fold them up small to go in a bag), go M50x's. 

Either way, it'll be a good upgrade on some cheap cans or in ears!

I realise that the DT770's are actually better, I just think it's awesome to have a detachable cable and different lenghts of cables. This is the reason I'm doubting between the two.

Edit: how about the V-moda crossfade LP? I heard those are pretty good as well.

6 minutes ago, tigerx95 said:

I realise that the DT770's are actually better, I just think it's awesome to have a detachable cable and different lenghts of cables. This is the reason I'm doubting between the two.

Yeah if you fuck up the cable, but if you dont fuck up the cable they will last the same amount of time. You can mod the cable on the DT700 but warranty doesn't cover anymore then. The cable changes depending on what model of the DT 700 pro you buy.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Yeah if you fuck up the cable, but if you dont fuck up the cable they will last the same amount of time. You can mod the cable on the DT700 but warranty doesn't cover anymore then. The cable changes depending on what model of the DT 700 pro you buy.

It's not about fucking up the cable, it's just the fact that the cable is way too long to plug it into my iPhone, and just long enough to watch some TV. You know, I like to have some options.

Do you have any experience with the V-moda crossfade LP?

What about getting the m40x? You lose out on the short cable, but you can always purchase that separately.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

1 minute ago, Rmusic10891 said:

What about getting the m40x? You lose out on the short cable, but you can always purchase that separately.

Do those sound good and are they comfortable?

Also, what about the V-moda Crossfade LP? Just came across these and look nice as well.

Just now, tigerx95 said:

It's not about fucking up the cable, it's just the fact that the cable is way too long to plug it into my iPhone, and just long enough to watch some TV. You know, I like to have some options.

You can just tangel the cable up.

1 minute ago, tigerx95 said:

Do you have any experience with the V-moda crossfade LP?

They are the bigger once in the V-moda family right? If yes I would say they are okay not some I would get over the DT 770.

Just now, tigerx95 said:

Also, what about the V-moda Crossfade LP? Just came across these and look nice as well.

Some might say they actually sound better than the m50s, as for comfort...ehhhh that's debatable. I swapped the earpads out of my m50xs right away to the HM5 pads.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Don't forget to include into your consideration that the M50x has a detachable cable with a proprietary attaching mechanism.

37 minutes ago, tigerx95 said:

There is one type of ear pad you should never purchase: leatherette or any ear pad that claims to be genuine leather that doesn't cost $100 each.

If you plan on buying the DT770, go with the 250ohm Pro http://amzn.com/B0006NL5SM It's $160 when I wrote this post. Those pads are  c o m f y.

47 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Don't forget to include into your consideration that the M50x has a detachable cable with a proprietary attaching mechanism.

What do you mean by this? That it 'clicks' in place?

40 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There is one type of ear pad you should never purchase: leatherette or any ear pad that claims to be genuine leather that doesn't cost $100 each.

If you plan on buying the DT770, go with the 250ohm Pro http://amzn.com/B0006NL5SM It's $160 when I wrote this post. Those pads are  c o m f y.

Which of those headphones have 'leatherette'?

The thing is that I will be listening to music through my iPhone as well, which isn't recommended with the 250 ohm version IIRC.

What do you mean by this? That it 'clicks' in place?

I mean that you can only use cables with the proprietary attaching mechanism. You can't just buy any 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male in the future and expect it to work. More than likely, you will need to purchase Audio-Technica branded cables in case anything ever happens to the originals that come with the headphones. I agree that a detachable cable is a pro. But a proprietary connector is a con.

Which of those headphones have 'leatherette'?

Both the M50x and V-moda LPs have leatherette ear pads. Even the cheaper variants of the DT770 have it also... which is why I recommend the 250ohm version. 

6 minutes ago, tigerx95 said:

The thing is that I will be listening to music through my iPhone as well, which isn't recommended with the 250 ohm version IIRC.

I just tried my 250ohm DT770 on my iPhone 5c. My ears started to bleed at the loudest volume.

18 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Both the M50x and V-moda LPs have leatherette ear pads. Even the cheaper variants of the DT770 have it also... which is why I recommend the 250ohm version. 

I just tried my 250ohm DT770 on my iPhone 5c. My ears started to bleed at the loudest volume.

Oh and most people seem to love the comfort of the m50x's?

So there's no distortions or something when using your phone?

Oh and most people seem to love the comfort of the m50x's?

So there's no distortions or something when using your phone?

I personally can't stand the, so called, "comfort" of the m50x. The headband is cardboard infused and covered with thin leatherette material. I couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.

Anyone who reviews the m50x and says they are comfortable are unfortunately suffering from one or both of the following issues: 1) they have never tried headphones from other manufacturers, and/or 2) they think they can't afford better headphones from other manufactures.

Personally I think the HD518 are better than both the DT770 and certainly the m50x, but they open back headphones. Sometimes they go on sale for $50, which is a ridiculously good price for what you're getting.

Only the slightest bit of sibilance depending on the song, but no distortion. I set the EQ settings to "Hip Hop," which reduces the treble a bit and punches up the bass, and that sounds pretty good to my ear. All hints of sibilance go away at loud volumes.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Mrspeakers alpha pads are genuine leather and 60$/pair

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

13 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I personally can't stand the, so called, "comfort" of the m50x. The headband is cardboard infused and covered with thin leatherette material. I couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.

Anyone who reviews the m50x and says they are comfortable are unfortunately suffering from one or both of the following issues: 1) they have never tried headphones from other manufacturers, and/or 2) they think they can't afford better headphones from other manufactures.

Personally I think the HD518 are better than both the DT770 and certainly the m50x, but they open back headphones. Sometimes they go on sale for $50, which is a ridiculously good price for what you're getting.

Only the slightest bit of sibilance depending on the song, but no distortion. I set the EQ settings to "Hip Hop," which reduces the treble a bit and punches up the bass, and that sounds pretty good to my ear. All hints of sibilance go away at loud volumes.

I can get the 518's for €110, but yeah no fan of open back. 

17 minutes ago, tigerx95 said:

I can get the 518's for €110, but yeah no fan of open back. 

That's interesting. I'm curious... what don't you like about open back sets?

19 minutes ago, spwath said:

Mrspeakers alpha pads are genuine leather and 60$/pair

Dude I'm trying to make a point 9_9 haha

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

That's interesting. I'm curious... what don't you like about open back sets?

I like having some noise cancellation.

Also, the 250 ohm version comes with a coil cable, which I'm not a fan of.

9 hours ago, tigerx95 said:

I like having some noise cancellation.

Also, the 250 ohm version comes with a coil cable, which I'm not a fan of.

Makes sense.

Yeah the coiled cable is not high on my favorites list about these headphones. I ended up purchasing a 6 foot long extension cable, also doubling as a "guard cable," so the coil doesn't bother me too much.