7990 and psu recommendation

Hey guys,

I was looking to work for some money and then buy the 7990 because the ones I'm looking at are around $620 which is an insanely good price for one of the best cards in the world. This is the one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125458

And atm my build plan is an i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz, 16gb corsair vengeance ram @ 2400mhz, a msi z87-g45, and some other components, and btw I know I'm getting these for sure. The only problem is I was planning on getting a cx600w power supply, but will that be enough? It's the 80plus version btw.

Thanks guys!

Wait for Rx-xxx series (september 25th is the reveal)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

You could run it on 600W with like 5W headroom. I'd recommend you get a nice 750W PSU, like Corsair RM750. As your capacitors age, they become more inefficient and your system draws significantly more power, that's why you need a PSU with big headroom. For example: System you posted brand new: 600W, 50% aged capacitors: 800W.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I'd recommend the Corsair TX750 http://amzn.to/1e91xgB 750W should be enough to allow some OC'ing headroom as well.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Also do you guys think I could run a crossfire with my 7990 and a 7950? And what kind of psu would I need for that?

no idea if you can run those cards together but you would probably want something close to 1000W

Much better deal than the Corsair PSU's everybody seems to always recommend.

Also do you guys think I could run a crossfire with my 7990 and a 7950? And what kind of psu would I need for that?

If you go that route and don't plan to overclock much then a 1000watt should be ample.

An amazing deal if you ask me. This PSU is actually a platinum fully modular PSU. One of the best PSU's Johhny Guru has ever tested, right behind the Seasonic 1000w. That's saying something. For $130 bucks after rebate it's a hella deal.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

That sounds amazing thanks! I think will probably go with that psu, but what about my outlet? Will it be able to handle 1000w? Also how future proof do you think this build will be? I am using a standard u.s. outlet for my pc btw

That sounds amazing thanks! I think will probably go with that psu, but what about my outlet? Will it be able to handle 1000w? Also how future proof do you think this build will be? I am using a standard u.s. outlet for my pc btw

Are you aware of that if you XFire 2 7970s with a 7950, your 7970s become 7950s? Also scaling will be horrible. Just get 2 780s or wait for new AMD cards.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Are you aware of that if you XFire 2 7970s with a 7950, your 7970s become 7950s? Also scaling will be horrible. Just get 2 780s or wait for new AMD cards.

yeah I realize that so I'm probably just gonna get the 7990. I don't wanna get 780s because they are too expensive and I don't want to get the new amds because likewise they are too expensive. The only reason I would get the 7990 is because it is one of the worlds best cards PLUS the price has gone down amazingly and I'm sure it will continue to fall along with Black Friday.

yeah I realize that so I'm probably just gonna get the 7990. I don't wanna get 780s because they are too expensive and I don't want to get the new amds because likewise they are too expensive. The only reason I would get the 7990 is because it is one of the worlds best cards PLUS the price has gone down amazingly and I'm sure it will continue to fall along with Black Friday.

Yea, a 7990 will be fine. Get it with RM750. Just wanted to point out that buying a 7950 could even lower your performance.

I would recommend going with something like the

Corsair 860i, because it will leave room for future upgrades

you may want to install. Second GPU, Sound Card, RAID Controller, etc.......

How long would this build with the 7990 last?

A loooong time.

Outlet would handle it fine. Also, you won't be drawing anywhere near 1000w. This would last several years.

What he said^ Wait for the new AMD cards.

The 7990 is basically a 7970 CF but worse because of a weaker cooling solution that can't oc as far. 

If you're planing a new build, it's recommended to plan it as a whole in the New Builds and Planning section and not pick individual parts. 

It would work but the 7990 is basically a 7970 CF. If you added a 7950, all 3 cards would need to lower down to run at the same speed as the 7950.

Fyi, you can get 7950's for ~$200 each right now to get some perspective on how bad of idea this is.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Not sure what you are asking here? Your outlet? Like you electrical outlet? If your in the US, then your bedroom is part of a 15a circuit, you will be fine.

Don't spend more money on a overpriced corsair unit - The RM750 and Corsair 860i don't hold a candle to the CM V1000 for the price.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Outlet would handle it fine. Also, you won't be drawing anywhere near 1000w. This would last several years.

What he said^ Wait for the new AMD cards.

The 7990 is basically a 7970 CF but worse because of a weaker cooling solution that can't oc as far.

If you're planing a new build, it's recommended to plan it as a whole in the New Builds and Planning section and not pick individual parts.

It would work but the 7990 is basically a 7970 CF. If you added a 7950, all 3 cards would need to lower down to run at the same speed as the 7950.

Fyi, you can get 7950's for ~$200 each right now to get some perspective on how bad of idea this is.

so u think I should wait till the new cards? Ok I will but i don't think they will have the same kind of performance you can get from a 7990 and they will definitely be more expensive

so u think I should wait till the new cards? Ok I will but i don't think they will have the same kind of performance you can get from a 7990 and they will definitely be more expensive

If you can wait, do so. It's less about getting one of the cards but the effect they will have on the market. Everything else should get cheaper and rumors are they will beat the Titan. 

It's best to have more options anyway.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Scaling fixed . Why the hell get two 780 for over $1200 when an HD 7970 has most of the performance of a 780 ?

AMD Phenom II x4 955 OCed, HD 7850, LG 27EA33 1080P IPS, 4GB ram

I think you should just get the 7990 or better yet a couple of 7970s. Your completely right you will never find a better value than what's going on right now. It's not like you need more performance than a couple high end AMD cards right now.

79xx series will become equivalent of cheaper 78xx series, that means if you buy anything from AMD right now in 2 weeks of time you will be able to buy it at least 10-20% cheaper.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Scaling fixed . Why the hell get two 780 for over $1200 when an HD 7970 has most of the performance of a 780 ?

2-way maybe. 3-way? No. Microstutter and scaling will be bad all the time, because HW will never be "perfect". And I say paying $1200 for SLI GTX780 will be better than paying $900 for 3-way XFire HD7950. Reasons: Much higher power consumption, bad scaling, microstutter

2-way maybe. 3-way? No. Microstutter and scaling will be bad all the time, because HW will never be "perfect". And I say paying $1200 for SLI GTX780 will be better than paying $900 for 3-way XFire HD7950. Reasons: Much higher power consumption, bad scaling, microstutter

Triple CF removes visual microstutters. 

Actually scaling has been fixed for a while now. 3way CF/SLI scales better than 2 way as it limits the amount of microstuttering and scales better than 4way and is much more cost effective solution. 3x 7970 for around $900 is far better than 2x GTX 780 for $1300. Once again 3way is the best because it scales better than 2way because it get's rid of microstuttering.

f80566ad-392e-4957-a8e4-31f66c3c231c_zps

http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/HD6870X2-HD6870,0101-300548-0-2-3-1-png-.html