Help with router choice/network configuration

Hi all,

I need some help with setting up the wireless network in my house. For many years now we have used a stock cisco router provided by our ISP, UPC(I live in Ireland). We have always had trouble connecting multiple devices to this router and also connecting in many places in the house. My house is reasonably large but old and as a result there is a lot of crap in the way (like large steel beams) and block the signal. We have tried everything but changing the router including using homeplugs, which were AWFUL for some reason, and a wireless extender. I've been led to believe many things about what a new router can actually do. I was told it wouldn't make a difference in range and that it would only improve the connection speed so to speak, at the max range of the router I already had. It's really confusing and at this point feels like a bunch of black magic. Can anyone help me out? What is it I need to do so I can get a good, stable connection in my room far from my router (through walls etc) to game on with my pc, while everyone in the house can still stream media etc. The current wireless extender I'm using drops all the time and I'm tired of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tldr: get a wireless AC router and make sure the equipment your using to connect to it is also AC 

And use 5GHz bands for close range stuff and 2.4Ghz for long range.

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

have you tried running a long ethernet cable to a second router? before i gut my new router i used this as a quick fix, the second router just  act as an access point, there shouldnt even be a need to modify any settings other than making sure you setup a password for the second router

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

3 hours ago, papapoi said:

second router?

no need to a second router, just an ap. i suggest a ubiquiti inifi ap ac

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler