Old HDD showing 100% active time and getting disconnected :/ ? whats the fuss ?

samiur

my almost 5 yr old sata 2 HDD was running quite fine over the few yrs , but today when i was running my pc ( C  is on SSD btw and the old one is considered as a secondary disk ) 

so a huge collection of movies and games P** and what not :P are onto that disk , so at first glance i considered it as connectivity problem but sooner the drive was getting constantly disconnected , tried swapping sata cable , and saw on HDD sentinal that lots of connectivity problem along with health has been projected as 48% :P my another WD 1 tb is fine along with the SSD , so does this confirm its time to backup stuffs of that oldy HDD :( ? and buy a new one instead :( ?

On 7.04.2016 г. at 10:51 AM, samiur said:

~snip~

Hello samiur,

It is a very good time to back your data up from that drive as these are strong indications that it is about to fail. After you've backed everything up I would check the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status and perform an extended test with a tool from the manufacturer (have in mind that his may further damage the drive if there's a physical problem). This should tell you exactly what's the problem with the drive. :)

If you have problems reading the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status feel free to post them here :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/