Kingston HyperX - Cloud Pro or Cloud 2?

Joshe343

Looking for a decent gaming headset that fits my black and red build theme. Really don't want to break the bank so I found the Cloud Pro and was going to buy it but I may be able to afford the Cloud 2. I like that the stem (assuming that's what it's called) that runs from the earmuffs is red (and from what I hear made of aluminum) on the Cloud 2 as opposed to the black, plastic ones on the Cloud Pro. This is a bit issue for me because the last two headsets I've bought (Turtle Beach X11 way back in the day and more recently the Triton Kunai for Xbox One) have had the stems (again, I don't know what the technical term is) snap because of the cheap plastic they were made of. I've broken it down into a pro-con list but still can't come up with an answer on my own.

Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro

1. Seems to have really nice reviews online.
2. Very nice budget gaming headset

1. The stems (piece connecting the earmuffs to the head piece) are made of plastic so are more likely to break.
2. The headset has way more black than red. I can get over this but I like the colors better on the Cloud 2.

Kingston HyperX Cloud 2

1. Very nice balance between black and red on the headset.
2. Better microphone than the Cloud Pro (not a big deal since I'll be using a Blue Yeti as a microphone most of the time).
3. Stems are made from aluminum so they shouldn't have the issues that other plastic headsets do with snapping

1. $30 more expensive than the Cloud Pro.
2. Reviews online say to stay away from this headsets 7.1 and audio drivers.

Keep in mind, I'm not going to be doing a lot of heavy gaming with either of these. I do plan on streaming in a few months so it'd be nice to have a headset that's not covered in duct tape because of the stems but again, that's not for a few months probably.

There is the cloud core if you don't wanna break the bank.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

4 minutes ago, cesrai said:

There is the cloud core if you don't wanna break the bank.

The Cloud Pro is better and I can get the Cloud Pro for $20 less.

2 minutes ago, Joshe343 said:

The Cloud Pro is better and I can get the Cloud Pro for $20 less.

Can you explain how the Cloud Pro is better than the other 2? Currently trying to find the best headset for me and people keep saying the Cloud II

2 minutes ago, JMJenkins said:

Can you explain how the Cloud Pro is better than the other 2? Currently trying to find the best headset for me and people keep saying the Cloud II

They're not. The Cloud 2 is better but as far as I can see it's not a whole lot better.

Just now, Joshe343 said:

They're not. The Cloud 2 is better but as far as I can see it's not a whole lot better.

Ah I see, I'm busy reading up the headset designed for audiophiles and marathon gamers, which I am on the latter. Named the Seinnheiser GAME ONE, apparently it's good. Looking into it still though.

6 hours ago, JMJenkins said:

Ah I see, I'm busy reading up the headset designed for audiophiles and marathon gamers, which I am on the latter. Named the Seinnheiser GAME ONE, apparently it's good. Looking into it still though.

Don't listen to the person above, jesus.... The Cloud, Cloud Core, and Cloud 2 are the same headphone/headset... Literally... the same... You are paying $30 extra for the Cloud 2 for the USB dongle it comes with. I tell people to avoid the Cloud 2, it is NOT better.

The Cloud Core is $70 from GameStop and the Cloud (just Cloud, not Cloud Pro) is $5 more via Amazon. Cloud Core is cheaper due to lack of accessories, but either the Cloud or Cloud Core will serve you just fine and you will get everything the Cloud 2 has to offer, just no USB, which is something I tell people to avoid anyway.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

This is a saved document for the argument clouds vs cloud 2

So, you want to get some gaming headsets and like a lot of people , you heard good things about the hyper x cloud series

To break it down

Cloud/Cloud core
-The original that got all the praises and generally the most well regarded gaming headsets in the market
-Available in Black and red or black and white
-The Cloud Core is the same headset without some accesories and lower pricetag (normally)
-End in 3.5mm jack with an adapter to switch between 1 3-banded plug or 2 2-banded plug for mobile or pc use

Cloud 2s
-These are also generally well regarded as it is the same headset as the Cloud with some added accesories
-Usb soundcard is included which provides 7.1 surround sound, sound and mic volume controls and mic mute control
-This added function is sometimes faulty and many people have complained about them thus the large amount of people warning you to opt for the cloud and cloud cores instead of the cloud 2s
-Available in pink and white, gunmetal grey(which is black and grey), and the classic red and black

My advise is that get the cloud 2s if you insists on the wider range of colors.
If you really want it for the usb dongle and 7.1 surround sound, brace yourself because they're are more prone to die.

If non of the above applies, get the cloud or cloud cores, you won't be dissapointed that easily.

It all comes down to your needs.

Me, I was ABOUT to go for the Cloud II just because of the "more comfort" and "more stuffs". And I was just gonna throw the 7.1 dongle away.

But apparently, I can't trash the dongle because from the Headset, there is only a single jack for both Headphones and Mic.

So you will have to buy something like this if ever your dongle shits out and you're left with the Headset only.

IPhone-Head-Set-Breakout-Cable-3.5mm-TRR

This is just an FYI.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

How I think Kingston HyperX was thinking when they made the cloud 2: Hhmm is there a way we can earn more money on the clouds, (guy in the back ground) Yes lets put a bad cheap sound card with it and give them some free surround software build in and shorten the jack cables, that way we can sell them for more even though they only cost us some cents more to make. (Boss) You sir are a god damn genius.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

24 minutes ago, Noyu said:

It all comes down to your needs.

Me, I was ABOUT to go for the Cloud II just because of the "more comfort" and "more stuffs". And I was just gonna throw the 7.1 dongle away.

But apparently, I can't trash the dongle because from the Headset, there is only a single jack for both Headphones and Mic.

So you will have to buy something like this if ever your dongle shits out and you're left with the Headset only.

IPhone-Head-Set-Breakout-Cable-3.5mm-TRR

This is just an FYI.

Is there more comfort? The headset is the same

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

How I think Kingston HyperX was thinking when they made the cloud 2: Hhmm is there a way we can earn more money on the clouds, (guy in the back ground) Yes lets put a bad cheap sound card with it and give them some free surround software build in and shorten the jack cables, that way we can sell them for more even though they only cost us some cents more to make. (Boss) You sir are a god damn genius.

what was the price of the clouds when the cloud 2s didn't exist?

21 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

Is there more comfort? The headset is the same

Hence the quotation marks.

As Kingston markets it, they say that the headband on the Cloud 2 is memory foam (not on the Cloud 1).

So it MAY be more comfortable

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

1 minute ago, Noyu said:

Hence the quotation marks.

As Kingston markets it, they say that the headband on the Cloud 2 is memory foam (not on the Cloud 1).

So it MAY be more comfortable.

i got a question for you, in linus' review of the clouds he says the earcups are real leather. is it the same with the cloud 2s, everywhere i look i find leatherette. 

2 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

i got a question for you, in linus' review of the clouds he says the earcups are real leather. is it the same with the cloud 2s, everywhere i look i find leatherette. 

Hmm.. AFAIK it's only leatherette (but note that they provide VELOUR earcups too)

Karamo

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Noyu said:

Hmm.. AFAIK it's only leatherette (but note that they provide VELOUR earcups too)

i know, i have the cloud 2s (i got them because of the colour, don't judge me)

I find velour earcups irritating as hell

10 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

i know, i have the cloud 2s (i got them because of the colour, don't judge me)

I find velour earcups irritating as hell

No judging. I actually still haven't decided yet. As of now I can buy a Cloud 2 for about 4$ more than a Cloud 1.

I want the Black/White colour scheme though. So I'm not sure anymore.

Yea. Velour pads produce these weird micro-furballs after a few years.

However, from what I've read, they're supposedly more comfortable for extended use. But after wear and tear, leatherette wins the game.

EDIT:

In my point of view:

I will be paying 4$ more for,

(+) Memory Foam Headband

(+) Aluminum stem-thing

(-) Forced to use 7.1 dongle (if I don't buy a splitter)

(-) shite GunMetal instead of the Black/White scheme.

Karamo

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

what was the price of the clouds when the cloud 2s didn't exist?

I think they where 5-10$ cheaper than the cloud 2 when there only was the cloud and well they wanted to sell more so they made the cloud 2.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Posted for clarity:

dn0gw5.png

I think this should be stickied as "HyperX Cloud 1 vs Cloud 2"

Karamo

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Noyu said:

Posted for clarity:

xqrncul77

I think this should be stickied as "HyperX Cloud 1 vs Cloud 2"

Can't view it

17 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I think they where 5-10$ cheaper than the cloud 2 when there only was the cloud and well they wanted to sell more so they made the cloud 2.

but that decreases the clouds price, no?

Just now, BananaKnight said:

but that decreases the clouds price, no?

Yeah, because they made a newer and "better" product and people will buy more if the things are cheaper and a lot of people will think ohh the cloud 2 must be better than the clouds so I will buy them instead.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah, because they made a newer and "better" product and people will buy more if the things are cheaper and a lot of people will think ohh the cloud 2 must be better than the clouds so I will buy them instead.

its kind of like what jaybird did to the bluebuds x and x2 right? (kind of off topic)

Just now, BananaKnight said:

its kind of like what jaybird did to the bluebuds x and x2 right? (kind of off topic)

Yeah.

On 4/7/2016 at 4:58 PM, BananaKnight said:

Can't view it

fixed it

Karamo

Spoiler