Of windows 10 and motherboards

Okay, so I'm planning to update my motherboard because the old one is kinda bad. My question is, can I change the motherboard without buying a new copy of windows? I've browsed the web quite a lot and have gotten some mixed answers. Also, I'm running windows 10 home, which I upgraded from windows 8.1. Also, I don't have the install disc/product key. Thanks!

The short answer is you should be able to replace the mobo and keep your current windows activation. But it doesn't always work for some reason. I've gotten around 70% success rate so far.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

2 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

The short answer is you should be able to replace the mobo and keep your current windows activation. But it doesn't always work for some reason. I've gotten around 70% success rate so far.

OK, thank you a lot! 

Usually if the chipset stays the same, it won't lose activation. But if you go for example from Z87 to Z97 keeping the CPU, it usually loses it. And if you swap processors too, it almost always does it. But the good news is, that if the original key was legit and was never leaked online, it won't be on any blacklists and the reactivation will go smoothly online. It'll prompt you for it and you basically click OK. And even if it doesn't, there's always the phone activation. And if that fails, it'll direct your call to a representative and you can make your case verbally. Just say you're upgrading the old computer and this is still the same computer. You'll only ever run into trouble with illicit keys or if you re-install too often. Or if your legit key is leaked online. 

There are (illegal) software that read the key from Windows registry but I have yet to see one that works for Windows 10 so don't trust those key scanners. They'll find the key just fine but it's not the same key as the original and the at least during re-install it won't accept this new key.

18 hours ago, Naeaes said:

Usually if the chipset stays the same, it won't lose activation. But if you go for example from Z87 to Z97 keeping the CPU, it usually loses it. And if you swap processors too, it almost always does it. But the good news is, that if the original key was legit and was never leaked online, it won't be on any blacklists and the reactivation will go smoothly online. It'll prompt you for it and you basically click OK. And even if it doesn't, there's always the phone activation. And if that fails, it'll direct your call to a representative and you can make your case verbally. Just say you're upgrading the old computer and this is still the same computer. You'll only ever run into trouble with illicit keys or if you re-install too often. Or if your legit key is leaked online. 

There are (illegal) software that read the key from Windows registry but I have yet to see one that works for Windows 10 so don't trust those key scanners. They'll find the key just fine but it's not the same key as the original and the at least during re-install it won't accept this new key.

The thing is, I'm upgrading a prebuilt Lenovo PC, so I never even had a product key. Windows was pre-installed. I also have no idea which chipset my mobo uses.

Also, I heard that removing all previous motherboard drivers will allow you to swap to a new motherboard without any problems. Do you think this is true?

They are talking about driver issues wouldnt be a problem. You will still have issues with the key. If you have the key, its no problem. You can usually always get it activated anyways. If you dont have it, it will be a problem. The key isnt on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop?

1 minute ago, swordsm3n said:

They are talking about driver issues wouldnt be a problem. You will still have issues with the key. If you have the key, its no problem. You can usually always get it activated anyways. If you dont have it, it will be a problem. The key isnt on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop?

Well, I have a PC, not a laptop.

But thanks for clarifying the driver thingy!

Okay, I'll try to look for it later. Thank you for the info!

Just now, Danscu said:

Well, I have a PC, not a laptop.

Dont know why I was thinking laptop when you said you were replacing mobo lol, probably because I was just reading about a laptop. Anyhow, the key should be on your case somewhere, if not, at least with the stuff that came with your PC.

3 minutes ago, Danscu said:

Okay, I'll try to look for it later. Thank you for the info!

Also, Windows 10 key in itself is locked on the motherboard, but worry not, after reinstalling the Windows 10, you can use "Contact Support" App in Windows Start Menu and tell them your situation.

They will usually activate the Windows on the new hardware then.

It's best to do this while logged in on Microsoft Account. Also be sure to have been logged on the Microsoft Account on previous installation.

Okay, so there is no windows key on my case, and also I'm pretty sure that the new motherboard has a different chipset. I literally have no idea what I should do. I really, really don't want to get a new copy of windows!

if worse comes to worst, get a $20 OEM key from Kinguin, that will reactivate you if all else fails

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]