Wait?

EJOE

Hey guys I was wondering if I should build my first computer by myself. Or wait for my friend who has some experience. In addition, this is my first build but I have watched and read alot, and feel confident.

you have studied, you feel confident, and you have the resources. go for it bud. take the initiative. you can do it and if you have problems everyone on here is willing to help ya out as best they can. 

I would go for it. Think of building a pc as expensive legos. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

5 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Hey guys I was wondering if I should build my first computer by myself. Or wait for my friend who has some experience. In addition, this is my first build but I have watched and read alot, and feel confident.

See if there's any spare computers or computer parts that friends or neighbors have lying around. If you feel like it's necessary, you can practice working on those before you get to the real deal. That's how I learned how to become comfortable with installing land-grid array (LGA) CPUs is through an old LGA775 board that someone gave me.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

please do your self and you wallet a favor and have your experienced friend do it but please do watch how he does it and watch pc build guides by the time a second build comes THEN try it yourself

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to try myself, and use an older gaming computer (bought from a store) as a reference when I need it. Plus the only thing that I was worried about is the installation of CPU and heatsink, and I already have the CPU installed.

When I built my PC I was scared, it took me 4 hours with 80% of that time being used to rewatch video guides to make sure I got it right. After I built it, I realised how easy it was, if I were to build a PC again it would probably take me like 20 min now. Its like playing with expensive Lego like someone else said.

18 minutes ago, SauronsV said:

When I built my PC I was scared, it took me 4 hours with 80% of that time being used to rewatch video guides to make sure I got it right. After I built it, I realised how easy it was, if I were to build a PC again it would probably take me like 20 min now. Its like playing with expensive Lego like someone else said.

What videos did you watch?

Find out your budget. Then find a somewhat recent (No older than late 2014, preferably Linus) build guide at that price point from a reputable youtube person or tech authority online, or ask the forums. The LTT community will guide you through the process, and if there's ever a problem, just post something in the "Troubleshooting" section and the hundreds of users online at any given moment will give you an answer within minutes :)

Also is it true that for some of the power cables you have to look in your motherboard Manuel to connect them correctly

2 hours ago, EJOE said:

Also is it true that for some of the power cables you have to look in your motherboard Manuel to connect them correctly

yeah, that is typically true, especially for novices. at least if you are talking about the led, power button, reset pins yeah. 

Edited by Bigheart
needs more info

5 minutes ago, ChickenNugget said:

Find out your budget. Then find a somewhat recent (No older than late 2014, preferably Linus) build guide at that price point from a reputable youtube person or tech authority online, or ask the forums. The LTT community will guide you through the process, and if there's ever a problem, just post something in the "Troubleshooting" section and the hundreds of users online at any given moment will give you an answer within minutes :)

I actually already have a PC build. My parts are just staring me down as I type xD

1 hour ago, EJOE said:

I actually already have a PC build. My parts are just staring me down as I type xD

DOOOOO IIIIITTTTT

1 minute ago, Bigheart said:

yeah, that is typically true, especially for novices. 

Yeah that seems like the only thing that might be tricky ,but I'd be able to figure it out.

1 minute ago, EJOE said:

Mind giving us a parts list? Did you pick out the parts yourself or get them from a video?

Just now, Bigheart said:

DOOOOO IIIIITTTTT

Oh yeah definitely but I have to go to bed and head to school tommorow. And I'm guessing some of you know how that feels (its torture XD)

1 hour ago, EJOE said:

Oh yeah definitely but I have to go to bed and head to school tommorow. And I'm guessing some of you know how that feels (its torture XD)

i have not had a day of since christmas, so yeah, i know. 

5 minutes ago, ChickenNugget said:

Mind giving us a parts list? Did you pick out the parts yourself or get them from a video?

Here it is: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sWdkCJ

Everything that is not here are the parts I'm going to switch from my older computer (like ram). I got these parts by a couple weeks of research and help from friends

7 hours ago, Bigheart said:

i have not had a day of since christmas, so yeah, i know. 

I should be grateful then XD. Anyways not a lot of people have the money to build a computer. So im willing to wait.