Website Server

ion529

So I basically I need a mini server to run Ubuntu Server for a small website (I mean really small, like only a couple of pages). The person I am making this for detests any form of monthly payment and told me she would rather dish out a hundred quid now then have to pay the "stupid" monthly fees for a domain and hosting. The plus side to this is I get to make another computer. :D So I went on good old PCPartPicker and built the cheapest M-ITX machine I could find. If you guys could please evaluate I would be grateful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 2650 1.45Ghz Dual-Core Processor  (£22.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  (£25.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (£8.90 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Western Digital AV 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£13.75 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: CiT MTX-005B Mini ITX Tower Case w/300W Power Supply  (£27.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £99.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-05 23:30 BST+0100

Current Build: CPU - AMD 5800K 4.2GHz w/ Stock Cooler :( | Motherboard - ASRock FM82A88 Extreme 4 Plus | Memory - Crucial 8GB Single Stick 1600MHz | GPU - AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB | Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Project: Just let me play Black Ops... PLEASE!!! - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ion529/saved/#view=VKm9TW

what kind of performance needs to be expected from the website? may as well consider dropping it on a raspberry pi.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

dropping it on a raspberry pi.

This.

I have multiple websites running and host an teamspeak server off of it at the same time and so far no trouble. (Rpi 2)

Did have to buy a heatsink to combat the heat tho.

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what kind of performance needs to be expected from the website? may as well consider dropping it on a raspberry pi.

I was considering a raspberry pi but I want to be able to upgrade it because although its unlikely that she will become an internet sensation she has a degree in marketing an business and stuff so I ain't taking anything to chance. :D And it also means of she gets bored of websites I can screw around with it :P

Current Build: CPU - AMD 5800K 4.2GHz w/ Stock Cooler :( | Motherboard - ASRock FM82A88 Extreme 4 Plus | Memory - Crucial 8GB Single Stick 1600MHz | GPU - AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB | Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Project: Just let me play Black Ops... PLEASE!!! - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ion529/saved/#view=VKm9TW

4 minutes ago, KaasKop said:

This.

I have multiple websites running and host an teamspeak server off of it at the same time and so far no trouble. (Rpi 2)

Did have to buy a heatsink to combat the heat tho.

By multiple how many do you mean? The RPis have obviously gotten alot faster than my old one :P

Pi2/3, if it takes off then get a 2nd pi or make a build then based on needs. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Alright sounds good, I have no experience working with the newer RPis so this could be interesting....

Just now, ion529 said:

Alright sounds good, I have no experience working with the newer RPis so this could be interesting....

Eh I haven't used the pi3 but the 2 works more than less like the pia/b with better specs. There community is huge regardless.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

9 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

basicly this.

i wouldnt get the pi3 in this case tho, theres nothing a pi3 can do over a pi2 that yoy should really care about. (unless if the broadcom chip is superior in compute over the whatever the pi2 has)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

basicly this.

i wouldnt get the pi3 in this case tho, theres nothing a pi3 can do over a pi2 that yoy should really care about. (unless if the broadcom chip is superior in compute over the whatever the pi2 has)

Early Pi2 has Samsung and later has broadcom, or mine were just screwed up which I'm honestly not sure of. But the wifi may be of use since the pis lan is only 10/100 and the 3 has a newer arch. But 2 will work as well

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Early Pi2 has Samsung and later has broadcom, or mine were just screwed up which I'm honestly not sure of. But the wifi may be of use since the pis lan is only 10/100 and the 3 has a newer arch. But 2 will work as well

if that thing can do more than 100 over wifi i'm buying stacks of them to turn them into access points and repeaters...

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if that thing can do more than 100 over wifi i'm buying stacks of them to turn them into access points and repeaters...

I can't speak for it and I've had trouble finding articles not related to errors on the Pis wifi. But I've read it can hit a peak of 150mbps. Given that its a peak, but i assume that means 100 isnt an unreasonable expectation, so if its the same speed wifi can be a more convenient option or just backup or an AP

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/raspberry-pi-3-wifi-bluetooth-50-faster-speed-just-30-looks-like-best-pi-so-far-1546601

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

I can't speak for it and I've had trouble finding articles not related to errors on the Pis wifi. But I've read it can hit a peak of 150mbps. Given that its a peak, but i assume that means 100 isnt an unreasonable expectation, so if its the same speed wifi can be a more convenient option or just backup or an AP

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/raspberry-pi-3-wifi-bluetooth-50-faster-speed-just-30-looks-like-best-pi-so-far-1546601

my access point theoreticly does 300Mbps on wifi, but the truth is it cant even reach the speed its built in switch caps out at (wich is 50Mbit because tplink is ass...)