Network Advice

sauer119
Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,
4 minutes ago, sauer119 said:

Ok what is the best router to have that is some what cheap and easy to manage.

I'd say just hit local stores or amazon, find the features an price that you like. As long as it has an "AP" or "access point" mode you should be good. I would recommend it had dual or 5ghz bands. If you want easy network storage, some of the nicer routers have usb ports. Netgear and asus are pretty good, just check user reviews. 

I want to boost the wifi in my room but also want to have some Ethernet opportunities should i just put another wireless router in my room or is there another alternative???  

If you want to do in-wall work you can wire a keystone or two. Other than that you could use a router in AP mode or a switch with an additional AP. The router is the easiest and most manageable option. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

5 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

If you want to do in-wall work you can wire a keystone or two. Other than that you could use a router in AP mode or a switch with an additional AP. The router is the easiest and most manageable option. 

Will the routers conflict with each other?

PCIE Wifi is the best wifi if you don't already have one, but Ethernet is still gonna be faster almost all the time.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Just now, sauer119 said:

For your use, no just use AP mode

on a technical level, there is technical interference though wi-fi overlaps all the time without issue. If you can I would say use 5ghz band since its just in your room and 2.4ghz on the other.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, Trav_X said:

PCIE Wifi is the best wifi if you don't already have one, but Ethernet is still gonna be faster almost all the time.

I already have a router it just isnt close to my room i have an Ethernet cable ran to my room i just want to boost my WiFi and still have Ethernet capabilities 

5 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

For your use, no just use AP mode

on a technical level, there is technical interference though wi-fi overlaps all the time without issue. If you can I would say use 5ghz band since its just in your room and 2.4ghz on the other.

4 minutes ago, sauer119 said:

I'd say just hit local stores or amazon, find the features an price that you like. As long as it has an "AP" or "access point" mode you should be good. I would recommend it had dual or 5ghz bands. If you want easy network storage, some of the nicer routers have usb ports. Netgear and asus are pretty good, just check user reviews. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

Thank you

14 minutes ago, sauer119 said:

Set them to operate on different 'channels' for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to minimise any interference between them.

A router is the best option here as it provides an additional wireless access point for your LAN, as well as extra ethernet ports.

8 minutes ago, sauer119 said:

When it comes to routers, you pay more for faster wireless transfer speeds, e.g. an AC1750 router will be more expensive than an N300 router.

in terms of management interfaces, each manufacturer generally has a consistent interface between all their products. I can personally recommend Asus. Check the likes of Amazon for routers in your price range.

Almost as cool as my temps