WD Elements problem

Luisa

Hello,

I am having a problem with a 2TB WD that I bought like a month ago. It told me to check for errors so I did.

After 3 days it got stuff on "733 files", I waited more 24 hours but it didn't progress at all.

I decided to cancel it, as it was stuck. Now the hard drive is VERY slow. I am trying to backing up everything, but it's taking 2 hours to transfer 100 MB.

The files are just fine, I can access them fine, but it's just very very slow...

There's also some files that says "can't read source disk" when trying to transfer.

What shall I do to fix it?

Thank you!

sounds like your HDD is defective

try RMA

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

sounds like your HDD is defective

try RMA

Yea but I need to backup everything before RMA.

Just now, Luisa said:

Yea but I need to backup everything before RMA.

just transfer your most important files that you dont want to lose, dont copy anything thats disposable

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

just transfer your most important files that you dont want to lose, dont copy anything thats disposable

I need help to fix the slow transfers.

5 minutes ago, Luisa said:

I need help to fix the slow transfers.

the only thing that may fix it is doing a secure erase

which means you lose everything on the drive

so no, im pretty sure the drive is messed up or defective

last thing you can try is plugging it into another PC, but if that doesnt work then youre out of options

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Luisa said:

~snip~

Hello Luisa :)

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. What are you using the drive for? Are you holding many smaller files or fewer but larger ones? Have you done a lot of re-writing on the drive? 

I would recommend testing the drive on another USB port with another USB cable and possibly on another computer and see if the results are the same. Bad cable, port or problems on the computer may cause such situations. Also, I would strongly recommend that you check your drivers and OS and verify that everything is up-to-date.

Also, are there any strange noises coming from the drive inside? Any excessive vibration or clicking? 

How is the drive recognized in Disk Management? A screenshot would be useful.

I would download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. Have in mind that if the device has a problem, testing it might further damage it.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

54 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello Luisa :)

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. What are you using the drive for? Are you holding many smaller files or fewer but larger ones? Have you done a lot of re-writing on the drive? 

I would recommend testing the drive on another USB port with another USB cable and possibly on another computer and see if the results are the same. Bad cable, port or problems on the computer may cause such situations. Also, I would strongly recommend that you check your drivers and OS and verify that everything is up-to-date.

Also, are there any strange noises coming from the drive inside? Any excessive vibration or clicking? 

How is the drive recognized in Disk Management? A screenshot would be useful.

I would download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. Have in mind that if the device has a problem, testing it might further damage it.

Captain_WD.

Hello, thank you so much for your concern!

The drive is a 2TB elements, I was using to hold some of my important files. I got alot of larger ones there, like art videos I made. Not sure what you mean about the re-writing question. But I suppose I didn't since the disc has only a month.

I did test the drive everywhere, even on another computer and the problem remains the same. Though I tested it on safe mode and seemed to be a bit faster, but couldn't still access some folders, asking me to format the disc or have a Cyclic Redundancy Error.

I checked for noises and there's none at all, what I think what is happening is bad sectors.

It also appears fine in the Disk Management.

I actually had this same problem with another disck before and fixed with a CHKDSK, but I am really scared to do try it again and risk it not moving forward at a certain stage (like it happened before). I am feeling really bad because the disk was working pretty fine before I made this error disk and just became worse because I had to cancel it...

26 minutes ago, Luisa said:

~snip~

Did you try the drive with a cable, different from the original one? Sometimes bad cables can cause this so you want to be sure it's not the cable and won't waste a perfectly healthy drive.

Could you post a screenshot of the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as the tests with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool? The raw values should easily show if the drive has any problems related to bad sectors, bad connection or anything else. 

CHKDSK could help prolong the drive's life by isolating bad sectors, but it doesn't fix them so I would leave that for after the simple S.M.A.R.T. tests.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

12 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Did you try the drive with a cable, different from the original one? Sometimes bad cables can cause this so you want to be sure it's not the cable and won't waste a perfectly healthy drive.

Could you post a screenshot of the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as the tests with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool? The raw values should easily show if the drive has any problems related to bad sectors, bad connection or anything else. 

CHKDSK could help prolong the drive's life by isolating bad sectors, but it doesn't fix them so I would leave that for after the simple S.M.A.R.T. tests.

Captain_WD.

Well it fixed it with my last drive, but this time just stopped. I used the same cable that came with the drive, could buy a new one.

Is there a tutorial how to make those tests? I don't want to screw it up...

1 hour ago, Luisa said:

~snip~

Using the tool is pretty straightforward :)Check out the manual of the tool and let me know if you have any questions.

I would simply be careful not to choose the fill the drive with zeros as this erases the drive completely. You will get a few warnings before being able to do that, so don't worry. :)

Captain_WD.