Advice on Planned Build Please

Hey guys so I'm possibly building within the next month or so and was wondering about a certain situation.

So my main budget is $1200(max $1300) with absolutely everything needed besides a keyboard and possibly a processor. My main thing is going to be gaming and college. I'm going in this fall majoring in CompSci but building soon as I will have all the money soon.

So my friend recently upgraded to x99 and gave me his 1231v3 and this was the build I had planned.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D3ZwMp

So my question was would it be worth it to spend this much money on last gen hardware? Skylake is almost a year old? I think. And the 1231v3 is 2 years old going 3. Everywhere I see with people possibly building with older hardware people say to just cough up the extra bit for Skylake and be up to date. Also what would be the expected lifetime before having to ugrade if I build with the 1231v3?

Any advice would be helpful.

3 minutes ago, BookerBooker said:

Hey guys so I'm possibly building within the next month or so and was wondering about a certain situation.

So my main budget is $1200(max $1300) with absolutely everything needed besides a keyboard and possibly a processor. My main thing is going to be gaming and college. I'm going in this fall majoring in CompSci but building soon as I will have all the money soon.

So my friend recently upgraded to x99 and gave me his 1231v3 and this was the build I had planned.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D3ZwMp

So my question was would it be worth it to spend this much money on last gen hardware? Skylake is almost a year old? I think. And the 1231v3 is 2 years old going 3. Everywhere I see with people possibly building with older hardware people say to just cough up the extra bit for Skylake and be up to date. Also what would be the expected lifetime before having to ugrade if I build with the 1231v3?

Any advice would be helpful.

get an s340 case you will love it i have 10 cases and the s340 is my one of my favorites. 

I would a nicer motherboard, maybe one meant for xeons but still on z97. I would go the asus z97-ws

Go noctua fans, best fans on the market.

I'm always here to help

9 minutes ago, j said:

get an s340 case you will love it i have 10 cases and the s340 is my one of my favorites. 

I would a nicer motherboard, maybe one meant for xeons but still on z97. I would go the asus z97-ws

Go noctua fans, best fans on the market.

Hope this doesnt sound rude but I'm not looking for case advice. I like the S340 but Im going everything as budget friendly as possible meaning that it will look like a mash of colors inside my case which wouldnt be that nice to look at. Also this isn't some top of the line Xeon. It's a simple refresh that barely has 16 PCI-E lanes so just about any 1150 board would work. And the fans are for just bit more airflow and wasn't looking to spend $25 for each fan I plan on buying.

My main concern was the processor being last Gen and whether it'd be enough to last me through 4 years of college majoring in CompSci and my Gaming at 1440p