Motherboard doesn't have enough fan

hjalli3
Go to solution Solved by Allshevski,
7 hours ago, hjalli3 said:

oh then this this is solved because I got a 3-pin to molex adapter with the fans that I will just use to plug in to the psu.

one final question though, if I get a fan controller will I be able to control the speed of any fan or do I need a fan that is compatible with fan controllers?

To control your fans you have to connect them to your motherboard. If the header you use has DC control, then great, you will be able to control the fans. But On some motherboards it's only 3 pin CPU and PWM headers. If you buy a fan controller, any fan will work fine.

so the motherboard that's going to be in my system is the gigabyte z170 hd3p. I have four fans in my corsair spec 03 case (not counting in the cpu cooler) but the motherboard doesn't have enough fan slots. so what can I do?

I got a 3 pin to molex adapter to connect to my psu but wouldn't that mean that the fans would always be running even if I turned off the computer?

I can't control the RPM on the fans I got (not sure about the fans that came with the case) but can I still use a fan controller to plug them in?

any help is greatly appreciated.

this is the build if you wanted to know: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Don't buy 4 fans maybe?

It's like saying the apartment I want is nice but the landlord said I'm not allowed to put 8 fridges in the kitchen.

10 minutes ago, Seminole said:

Don't buy 4 fans maybe?

It's like saying the apartment I want is nice but the landlord said I'm not allowed to put 8 fridges in the kitchen.

it's to late now I already bought everything except for the cpu, ssd and gpu

Just now, Allshevski said:

Just use Y-splitters

I heard those can damage the motherboard though, because you're using 1 3-pin to power two fans

Just now, hjalli3 said:

I heard those can damage the motherboard though, because you're using 1 3-pin to power two fans

No they can't until you run like 5 fans off a single header

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

Just now, hjalli3 said:

I don't think it could realistically damage your mobo. I salvaged an old Pentium 4 computer that had the CPU fan only plugged into 2/3 of the pins and it worked fine through all that time apparently.

6 minutes ago, hjalli3 said:

It depends on the power requirements of the fans.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It depends on the power requirements of the fans.

how much power would be to much?

10 minutes ago, hjalli3 said:

Unfortunately, I don't remember the limit the fan headers can handle in amperage.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

26 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Unfortunately, I don't remember the limit the fan headers can handle in amperage.

but if I run the fans by connecting them the psu will they be on even if I turn the system off?

23 minutes ago, hjalli3 said:

but if I run the fans by connecting them the psu will they be on even if I turn the system off?

No. They will shut off just like everything else.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

No. They will shut off just like everything else.

oh then this this is solved because I got a 3-pin to molex adapter with the fans that I will just use to plug in to the psu.

one final question though, if I get a fan controller will I be able to control the speed of any fan or do I need a fan that is compatible with fan controllers?

7 hours ago, hjalli3 said:

To control your fans you have to connect them to your motherboard. If the header you use has DC control, then great, you will be able to control the fans. But On some motherboards it's only 3 pin CPU and PWM headers. If you buy a fan controller, any fan will work fine.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

17 hours ago, hjalli3 said:

Om the back of every fan, they have a Amp rating. Your average motherboard header will handle 2 amps (Some server boards handle 3 amps...but those are servers). As long as you add all of the fan amperages together and don't exceed 2 amps, you're alright. Also, if you have PWM fans, You can use a five fan to PWM / Molex adapter. Pretty much the motherboard controls the fan speed, but the fans get their power from the molex connector. This only works with PWM fans though. But yeah, your average fan pulls no amps at all...to give you an idea, every normal fan I own only uses 0.3 amps or lower. However, my delta fans pull 1.6 amps (And this is the mid speed delta fan).