Fans Galore, need help

JMJenkins

So I'm getting all the information ready so I can finalize my PC build, but since it is my first time building a PC, there are a few aspects I'm confused about and I'm not sure where to go.

First of all, I'll be using a Nepton 240mm CPU Cooler and the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid GPU inside of a Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro. I plan on using 3 140mm front fans and replacing all 3 radiator fans (2 on nepton and 1 on GPU)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nff12pwm This will be the Radiators fans.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa14pwm This will be the Front 3x case fans.

Now my motherboard I'll be purchasing is an:  Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO, but I see it only has 4 fan connectors, so AFAIK, I need two additional slots, it goes 2x for CPU Radiator, 1x for GPU Radiator and 3x Front Case Fans, so how would I go about adding additional slots or am I screwed?

- afaik the evga hybrid fan connector goes to the gpu, so i suggest you do that for the gpu fan.

- get a splitter or use the paperclip mod to plug both cpu rad fans in the same header.

- get a splitter or use the paperclip mod to plug all 3 front fans in the same header.

- plug your cpu pump into whatever it goes in, but if its a fan header, put it in a seperate one just to be sure.

EDIT: btw, you have 6 fan headers: 3 cpu headers (probably two cpu and a chassis) all the way up top, two chassis fans around your 24-pin, and a chassis fan near your first pcie slot.

EDITEDIT: found another one all the way at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- afaik the evga hybrid fan connector goes to the gpu, so i suggest you do that for the gpu fan.

- get a splitter or use the paperclip mod to plug both cpu rad fans in the same header.

- get a splitter or use the paperclip mod to plug all 3 front fans in the same header.

- plug your cpu pump into whatever it goes in, but if its a fan header, put it in a seperate one just to be sure.

EDIT: btw, you have 6 fan headers: 3 cpu headers (probably two cpu and a chassis) all the way up top, two chassis fans around your 24-pin, and a chassis fan near your first pcie slot.

Wrong. The Hybrid fan needs a mobo fan header. Otherwise you're right, another option would be to use a fan controller. 

1 minute ago, Jon Trollston said:

Wrong. The Hybrid fan needs a mobo fan header. Otherwise you're right, another option would be to use a fan controller. 

667f0bd8cc1b5671ad4f8bbe722f4deb_XL.jpg

pretty sure thats the fan cable going into the GPU.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

667f0bd8cc1b5671ad4f8bbe722f4deb_XL.jpg

pretty sure thats the fan cable going into the GPU.

Whoops sorry. Thought he was talking about the seahawk. Yeah you are correct. 

Just now, Jon Trollston said:

Whoops sorry. Thought he was talking about the seahawk. Yeah you are correct. 

looks hardwired tho, so OP's either gonna be cutting and bodging, or soldering.

So I'm told to get splitters, any time in particular, these fans all say 4 pin since they are controllable speeds, oh, my bad, just looked at the motherboard again and I see it has a total of 6 x 4-pin fan connectors. Really sorry for wasting everyones time, thanks for the help anyway :)

57 minutes ago, manikyath said:

looks hardwired tho, so OP's either gonna be cutting and bodging, or soldering.

Since it's hardwired, i think it gets all the power and stuff from the gpu. If he wants push pull, he can connect the other fan to the mobo it think. 

36 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

Since it's hardwired, i think it gets all the power and stuff from the gpu. If he wants push pull, he can connect the other fan to the mobo it think. 

or hook up both fans of the pushpull to the GPU.

Just now, manikyath said:

or hook up both fans of the pushpull to the GPU.

I wouldn't recommend doing that because if he screws up, he has to rma the gpu. I think JayzTwoCents killed the fan on one of these hybrids and dedicated quite a large portion of the video as to how he had to take the gpu shroud off and even then he couldn't just replace the fan. 

I wouldn't recommend doing that because if he screws up, he has to rma the gpu. I think JayzTwoCents killed the fan on one of these hybrids and dedicated quite a large portion of the video as to how he had to take the gpu shroud off and even then he couldn't just replace the fan. 

if OP wants to replace the fan on his hybrid, he'll be voiding warranty either way.

besides, i dont understand how people break stuff when replacing fans, if you manage to brick something by swapping out a fan you deserve to lose your money because you shouldnt have started on it.

i've done stuff like this, and have it actually perform better than the original cooler:

5780839bbd.jpg

(bonus molex to pcie adapter for extra cringe)

24 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if OP wants to replace the fan on his hybrid, he'll be voiding warranty either way.

besides, i dont understand how people break stuff when replacing fans, if you manage to brick something by swapping out a fan you deserve to lose your money because you shouldnt have started on it.

i've done stuff like this, and have it actually perform better than the original cooler:

5780839bbd.jpg

(bonus molex to pcie adapter for extra cringe)

No it's just that i don't think that the hybrid's fan has a simple 3 or 4 pin connector on the pcb. That's the issue I think. Either way, adding a second fan connected to the mobo and then changing the fan curve to match the stock fan would yield the same results pretty much. 

No it's just that i don't think that the hybrid's fan has a simple 3 or 4 pin connector on the pcb. That's the issue I think. Either way, adding a second fan connected to the mobo and then changing the fan curve to match the stock fan would yield the same results pretty much. 

all fans work the same way, it'd be a waste of time and resources for evga to change how their specific fan worked instead of one of the 3 current standards:

- ground and vcc

- ground, vcc, and sense

- ground, vcc, sense, and pwm

should also add i havent encountered a single case where they didnt have them in those orders, but its mostly just a matter of measuring it out with a multimeter and plugging in and go.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

all fans work the same way, it'd be a waste of time and resources for evga to change how their specific fan worked instead of one of the 3 current standards:

- ground and vcc

- ground, vcc, and sense

- ground, vcc, sense, and pwm

should also add i havent encountered a single case where they didnt have them in those orders, but its mostly just a matter of measuring it out with a multimeter and plugging in and go.

Here, it's the waterforce but I assume that the Hybrid has something similar. But yeah, i guess if he was really bothered he could do it. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

Here, it's the waterforce but I assume that the Hybrid has something similar. But yeah, i guess if he was really bothered he could do it. 

OP said he was planning on replacing the fan, if he wanst to risk it for the biscuit thats up to him to decide, i'm just here to explain the possibilities and press on the fact its his fault and his fault only when he screws up.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

OP said he was planning on replacing the fan, if he wanst to risk it for the biscuit thats up to him to decide, i'm just here to explain the possibilities and press on the fact its his fault and his fault only when he screws up.

I didn't know I had to remove damage the fan to remove it, if that is the case, I won't do it as I'd like to sell the GPU when the x80 Titan comes out and get that instead.

Actually, just found out the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid fan is unpluggable and replaceable, but since I'm using a 4-pin connector and the GPU is only a 2-pin, I'll connect it to the motherboard instead so I can control the fan.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

snip

7 hours ago, Jon Trollston said:

snip

Actually, just found out the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid fan is unpluggable and replaceable, but since I'm using a 4-pin connector and the GPU is only a 2-pin, I'll connect it to the motherboard instead so I can control the fan.

If you are wondering how you remove the cable, that cable that connects from the GPU block to the Fan itself has a connector about half way and all you do is disconnect them, it's just a clip, it's that simple, then you just have to hide the cable coming from the GPU itself and all is good in the hood.

Sorry for the partial double post, just wanted to let you guys know how it works and thanks for the help.