SpeedFan fan control questions!

Hi all! Asking out to anyone with experience with speedfan in controlling fans with fan curves.

I'm trying to achieve one single fan curve which applies to all cores. What I mean is, normally, you link one temperature and one PWM fan speed. (Ex: Core 0 temperature with CPU Fan). What I'm trying is have all cpu core temperatures (all 4 of them) control that one CPU fan speed.

I'm doing this cause if I do it normally, it's possible for core 3 to get really hot while the CPU fan doesn't react cause core 0 is chill.

This is what I have:

KbYJJHP.png

Documentation for how SpeedFan works is really bare lol...

Anyways, my idea is that under "Temperatures", I include all 4 cores (I currently have two, Core 0 and 1 seen above). Then try my best to make the curve exactly the same for all 4 cores. Then set all four of them to use "MAX of speeds" in the methods. Would that do what I want it to do?

So what should happen is if any of the four cores hit 64C, the CPU fan will start spinning. Doesn't have to be specifically core 0 hitting it.

The issue I'm seeing is wouldn't there be conflicting controls? Like the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. If core 0 is hitting 64C, it tells fan to start spinning, but core 1 is still chilling at 59 so it'll tell the fans to not spin? I'm thinking "MAX of speeds" means it'll take whatever the max value is but I can't find how that method actually works so...

I'd love to test this myself but I have no idea how to force load on individual cores.

The max, makes the highest value on these curves take control so it would work just like you wanted.

But the curve you made here worries me a little, does your fan start spinning when it's active? Or does it spin even at 0%? because I had some problems when trying to start fans that way.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

1 minute ago, Allshevski said:

The max, makes the highest value on these curves take control so it would work just like you wanted.

But the curve you made here worries me a little, does your fan start spinning when it's active? Or does it spin even at 0%? because I had some problems when trying to start fans that way.

Awesome thank you! And yea it does, fans are the ones provided with NH-D15. They spin up at 10%. Anything under than it doesn't spin.

This is what I kept mine at,if looking at it helps 

2016-04-02.png.2768b7d98c0a8af02a9e6e71c

Truth be told,I took the setup once and forget about it approach.

Ps - I forgot most of the things that i had set up previously 

By the way what is hysteresis again? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

3 minutes ago, Sharif said:

It's a "step" that is needed to make any change and update the fan speed. For hysteresis of 2 degrees, 2 degree delta in temperature will be needed to change its speed.

9 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Awesome thank you! And yea it does, fans are the ones provided with NH-D15. They spin up at 10%. Anything under than it doesn't spin.

that is a little odd. I've never had a fan spin up at 10%.  It might be getting power at 0% like one of my evga headers does.  If the fan is running and you lower the speed to 5% will it still run?  I would check with a multi-meter to be sure or just keep that fan running at minimum RPM, Noctua's are almost dead silent at minimum rpm anyways

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 minutes ago, Sharif said:

This is what I kept mine at,if looking at it helps 

2016-04-02.png.2768b7d98c0a8af02a9e6e71c

Truth be told I took the setup once and forget about it approach

Ps - I forgot most of the things that i had set up previously 

That's my setup before. Issue I had is my comp for some reason has two different average CPU temperature (one by CPU and one by motherboard I guess?). The one speedfan could read was very delayed (by like a second lol). 

So whenever I suddenly loaded my CPU (for rendering for example), temperature would shoot up too quickly. By the time speedfan could read the updated temperature, it was at 84C. This caused my fans to ramp up to 100% only to come back down once temperature leveled out.

So now I'm trying to find a way to get the fans to respond quicker.

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

that is a little odd. I've never had a fan spin up at 10%.  It might be getting power at 0% like one of my evga headers does.  If the fan is running and you lower the speed to 5% will it still run?  I would check with a multi-meter to be sure or just keep that fan running at minimum RPM, Noctua's are almost dead silent at minimum rpm anyways

Noctua FTW! My NF-F12 starts at 9% and you can lower the speed all the way down to 6% which makes it run so slow that you can actually see the blades spinning slowy. But remember it's PWM which lowers start point by a lot as the fan is non-stop getting these 12 volts.

4 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

That's my setup before. Issue I had is my comp for some reason has two different average CPU temperature (one by CPU and one by motherboard I guess?). The one speedfan could read was very delayed (by like a second lol). 

So whenever I suddenly loaded my CPU (for rendering for example), temperature would shoot up too quickly. By the time speedfan could read the updated temperature, it was at 84C. This caused my fans to ramp up to 100% only to come back down once temperature leveled out.

So now I'm trying to find a way to get the fans to respond quicker.

Umm I think setting the fans at solid 40% or something like that (as high as possible unless then become audible) and then making the graph go higher would work better but okay.

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Only saw your post after I responded, I don't like double posting but adding a quote by editing a post doesn't seem to send notification so whatever.

No it doesn't run if I put it at 5% even if I spun it up before with 10%. My speedfan uses increments of 5 so I can't test inbetween intervals. 

Also, I'm using a fan splitter, I have two fans connected with one CPU Fan header, does that mean anything?

And off topic, my EVGA 980 Ti FTW's fan header still sends power too even when set to 0%. Enough to make the stock cooler's fans make a click noise...

15 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

Noctua FTW! My NF-F12 starts at 9% and you can lower the speed all the way down to 6% which makes it run so slow that you can actually see the blades spinning slowy. But remember it's PWM which lowers start point by a lot as the fan is non-stop getting these 12 volts.

hm, my p-12 and p-14 wont go below 20% but my EVGA motherboard is a little screwy with fan control

14 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Only saw your post after I responded, I don't like double posting but adding a quote by editing a post doesn't seem to send notification so whatever.

No it doesn't run if I put it at 5% even if I spun it up before with 10%. My speedfan uses increments of 5 so I can't test inbetween intervals. 

Also, I'm using a fan splitter, I have two fans connected with one CPU Fan header, does that mean anything?

And off topic, my EVGA 980 Ti FTW's fan header still sends power too even when set to 0%. Enough to make the stock cooler's fans make a click noise...

all that the splitter means is that one fan's rpm won't be reported to software.  You can set speedfan to increments between by using the keyboard.  Won't work if auto mode is on though, just fyi. is all good though, I guess others have the same start point

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

26 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

Umm I think setting the fans at solid 40% or something like that (as high as possible unless then become audible) and then making the graph go higher would work better but okay.

Still playing around with the curve, that's not final haha.

System on an open air bench, going to install it in a Define R5 later today, then I'll do a final fan curve. Just checking if what I want to do is possible with this thread. :)