Old server for gaming because I'm poor

TL;DR: I want cheap but I can compromise; is it worth it to buy a g3 DELL PE2950 or a g1? (g1 is cheaper).

This is my first thread so sorry in advance for not providing all needed information, just ask if you need something else.

I watched the "Under $150 Budget Gaming 8 Core CPU, Motherboard & 16GB RAM" video on the YouTube cannel and I was impressed, up until this point I've only bought a premade pc, a pc that a tech savvy friend made for me (650€) but is now unusable and a laptop for university purposes, so it's not good for gaming.

That being said I was thinking of getting two Intel Xeon X5460, and a DELL PE2950 motherboard, what confuses me is wether I should buy a g1 or a g3, the difference in prince is huge, and I'll probably get a true gaming rig in about three or four years so I want to know wether it's worth the investment or not, taking into account that I'm not looking for upgradeability or shiny features but for cheapness, in essence something that works.

I also have no idea which RAM to get so if anyone would be able to point me in the right and cheap direction that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, should I have posted this in CPUs, Motherboards and Memory?

You've posted it in the right place. I've got the 3rd gen, it's most likely HDD support? anyway. I wouldn't advise on getting a server for gaming, because it's too loud the PSU is proprietary hardware from dell so you cannot use any Desktop ones. Lack of GPU support.

So the server is a no no for gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I don´t know if it´s wise to go with two 4 core cpu's. Games mostly like fewer stronger cores. I am sorry that I can not recommend a cpu because I am not into the Xeon line plus this cpu seems abit old. Maybe you can go with somone who is selling here on the forum from the last sort of 4-5 years? (intel 2600K era and above) and get a good GPU. That is what matters for games.

you can just get one xeon or i7 9xx, then use it on any normal lga 1366 mobo, no need for dual cpu.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

You've posted it in the right place. I've got the 3rd gen, it's most likely HDD support? anyway. I wouldn't advise on getting a server for gaming, because it's too loud the PSU is proprietary hardware from dell so you cannot use any Desktop ones. Lack of GPU support.

So the server is a no no for gaming

You mean the Dell server is a no no for gaming so I should look for another one or that server builds are a no no for gaming in general? I was kinda hopeful because of the video ,:D

Just now, CookieSmash said:

You mean the Dell server is a no no for gaming so I should look for another one or that server builds are a no no for gaming in general? I was kinda hopeful because of the video ,:D

Yes the Dell is no no for gaming. Generally Dell and HP rack mount servers are not ideal for gaming. Anyway what is your budget for this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I think it would be more rewarding to invest in standard hardware and maybe a newer used xeon+mainboard. you could put that in a standard Atx computer case too. but as said before. the psu wil most likely not support and suffice for a "gaming" graphics card. 

wow... pretty empty here...

8 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Yes the Dell is no no for gaming. Generally Dell and HP rack mount servers are not ideal for gaming. Anyway what is your budget for this?

I wanted to spend about 200 or less for ram, motherboard and cpu because i might be able to get a deal with an old graphics card that should run most games well enougth, same thing for power source, maybe.

2 minutes ago, CookieSmash said:

I wanted to sped about 200 or less for ram, motherboard and cpu because i might be able to get a deal with an old graphics card that should run most games well enougth, same thing for power source, maybe.

can consider this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ktq8WZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

you can get a skylake i3 and 8gb of ram with a mobo for under 200$ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9N4hRB

That is not going to be perfect for gaming, but still way better than some old core 2 duo crap,

also you ge low power draw and usb 3.0 sata 3 etc.

Id at least go with a nehalem cpu for a used gaming pc on the cheap,

on ebay you can often get a i7 920 with a x58 board, 6-12gb of ram and decent cooler for 100-150.

That would be better in some cases than the i3 when overclocked, but worse than others,

also youd have to deal with sata 2 and usb 2 and 130w tdp.