SteamVR Performance Test

Hi, I was just wondering -- how accurate/reliable do you think the SteamVR performance test is? Also, is there any other similar software which you know of?

My personal story:
I downloaded the SteamVR performance test, just to see if my PC was just about maybe close to enough to run games like that on low settings at least -- turns out, it doesn't think so at all. My current GPU is the biggest limiting factor, according to this program, which I'm not too surprised about, since I'm running a single Sapphire R9 270X 4GB version, which is a pretty old card at this point, and - to my surprise - my CPU wasn't a problem at all -- an fx-4130. Overall, I was quite sad, but a huge part of me wants to think that the software is just being too iffy about everything, since the minimum specs include an R9 290. I say this, because when I actually turned on Steam's framerate display, and then on another run took a benchmark with fraps, I saw no dips in framerate below 80, overall averaging at ~91fps and in the more demanding moments dropping to around 85-87fps. Right now, deep down inside, I'm just hoping that my little 270X would actually run ok because it's the 4GB variant, the one designed to run multiple screens, and what different is running those to running a VR headset (apart from all the differences -- shhh... I want to believe)? I'm also able to play games  in 1440p, with high framerates (or at least playable, like in the Witcher 2 with everything maxed out to ultra in 1440p scoring an average of ~40fps), so I hope that I'd be able to get at least 60fps on something like a Rift or Vive. Anyway, I feel like I just wasted your time, telling you something which you don't care about at all, and realise that I sound stupid :P. Thanks for reading.

From what I've seen, it's very unreliable. I've seen exact same spec systems get very different results. There's really no point in a single VR test, as all VR games are going to run differently. 

You want to have a MINIMUM of 75FPS for VR, really. You ideally want the FPS to never drop below the headset's refresh rate. A 270X isn't enough for a good VR experience IMO, it's just not powerful enough. (for the demanding VR games, that is)

my pc is supposedly capable of vr according to the test, what i want to see is maybe luke or linus run tests on different pc specs to really see what difference the gpu or cpu has on playability. now that it is out i am sure there will be videos showing the rift running on lower specs than stated.

im just waiting for the eventual price drop or the psvr to be ported to the pc. right now its too pricey for what is in the package. 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20