Cant pick which Linux Mint to go with.

I just built my new PC and I'm equipping it with Linux Mint.
 At first I was thinking KDE because its a new machine with 8gigs of ram which should support a nice fat, robust OS. (I'm aware KDE takes like 700megs of ram idle) but looking at the KDE layout, I don't see any reason to take that over say, cinnamon. Then I looked at XBCE and it looked just as good. Now I'm all confused in terms of what I want. Any Mint users? What's worth using?

you should put linus mint

best performance with nvidia hardware

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Its all taste, try a few live versions first to see what you like, personally I like cinnamon 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

you should put linus mint

best performance with nvidia hardware

Linus? LTT has a ubuntu flavor now? xD but mint has many flavors the standard is MATE I think

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Linus? LTT has a ubuntu flavor now? xD but mint has many flavors the standard is MATE I think

it's just a prank bro

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Out of those three, I prefer KDE, but it's really all up to your preference. Burn a couple USB sticks with the different flavors and see which one you like best.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Cinnamon is the standard. If take Mint, take it with Cinnamon.

I prefer Cinnamon, I have read somewhere though that steam had problems with Cinnamon.

I use XFCE 32bit as a rescue system as it's more compatible to older and/or different hardware, but Cinnamon for newer systems.

Cinnamon and Mate are released at least a month before the others.

KDE, like you said, is the big behemoth of desktop environments as far as memory use goes.  But it's also super customizeable and has a lot of options (which is part of why it uses up so much memory).  Cinnamon is the main, default DE for Mint, and is based on GNOME in an attempt to emulate the original look-and-feel of GNOME 2.  It's pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of memory use, but is pretty good-looking, easy to use, and reasonably customizeable.  XFCE is one of the two big players in the lightweight desktop environment game: it strives to use as few resources as possible, while still providing a lot of customizeability and functionality.  (The other, more lightweight DE is LXDE, which has fewer features and options, but is the most lightweight DE around that I know of).

Honestly, I'd say go with the regular Cinnamon version.  It's a pretty great desktop environment, and tou can install KDE/XFCE/whatever and switch between them when you log in, so you're not really tied down to your choice of desktop environment.

16 hours ago, Azgoth 2 said:

KDE, like you said, is the big behemoth of desktop environments as far as memory use goes.  But it's also super customizeable and has a lot of options (which is part of why it uses up so much memory).  Cinnamon is the main, default DE for Mint, and is based on GNOME in an attempt to emulate the original look-and-feel of GNOME 2.  It's pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of memory use, but is pretty good-looking, easy to use, and reasonably customizeable.  XFCE is one of the two big players in the lightweight desktop environment game: it strives to use as few resources as possible, while still providing a lot of customizeability and functionality.  (The other, more lightweight DE is LXDE, which has fewer features and options, but is the most lightweight DE around that I know of).

Honestly, I'd say go with the regular Cinnamon version.  It's a pretty great desktop environment, and tou can install KDE/XFCE/whatever and switch between them when you log in, so you're not really tied down to your choice of desktop environment.

Cinnamon was NOT made to look like GNOME2, it's completely different. I'd say that it's most similar to Windows XP.

5 hours ago, Gachr said:

Cinnamon was NOT made to look like GNOME2, it's completely different. I'd say that it's most similar to Windows XP.

After some quick checking, yes, I was wrong.  I think I had conflated "not liking the direction GNOME 3 was heading" (which is what actually prompted the creation of Cinnamon) with "specifically wanting to stick with GNOME 2".

Because of the wide variety of desktop environments (Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and XFCE) there is only one way to find out: Create an bootable USB flash drive und try them all. Or just download one of them, like you did, and add the other three enviroments via Synaptic or any package manager of your choice. Be aware that although you can choose the used desktop environment afterwards at the login screen, sometimes the installed software causes some issues in the other desktop environment. Further be aware of creating backups on the system before you play with different DEs.

To answer your question which is right for you: I do not know, it is all about trying and deciding. By the time you will find a desktop that suits you best. 

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home