Buying more RAM

Go to solution Solved by Aytex,

Speed- will downclock if it is lower than the other

Cas- dosen't matter

Voltage- MOST IMPORTANT, make sure it is the same voltage or the ram will not work AT ALL

Hey everyone,

I'm aiming to increase my ram from 8gb (4x2) and I have 2 slots free. The ram installed is G-Skill 8GB Rupjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual Kit and i want to buy HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1866 MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM Memory Module kit. I have Z97 gaming edition motherboard and I'm curious if it will be compatible and viable to buy the 16GB as it would make 24GB of ram. When it comes to RAM i have little knowledge so any bits of information would help. Thanks!

Kind Regards, Dave.

18 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Cas- dosen't matter

Voltage- MOST IMPORTANT, make sure it is the same voltage or the ram will not work AT ALL

He's right

Intel i7-4790 | Gigabyte z97x G7 | MSI 980TI | G.Skill Ripjaw Sniper 32GB 2400Mhz | Segate 2TB SSHD/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

23 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Cas- dosen't matter

Both of the Rams are 1.5V. Will the drop in speed be this significant? and is it worth losing the speed for more ram?

Just now, Almond said:

Both of the Rams are 1.5V. Will the drop in speed be this significant? and is it worth losing the speed for more ram?

unless you render videos alot, they wont have a impact in gaming

Just now, Aytex said:

unless you render videos alot, they wont have a impact in gaming

I may render later on, but small videos and clips. What benefits would i get from getting more ram?

From personal experience when I upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32 for editing purpose, the only difference is that I can multitask while rendering videos. I can play The fucking Division and render out a 20 min 1080p 60fps video and still achive somewhat the same performance when not rendering. For editing purposes it's good but otherwise It's really pointless.

Edited by GFXTech

Intel i7-4790 | Gigabyte z97x G7 | MSI 980TI | G.Skill Ripjaw Sniper 32GB 2400Mhz | Segate 2TB SSHD/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

When I did it I just searched for RAM that had the same voltage and timings, then enabled XMP as though they had been a matched set bought together.

if you had around £60-£100 what would you invest in? I mean i have an 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd that's almost full. 

19 minutes ago, Almond said:

if you had around £60-£100 what would you invest in? I mean i have an 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd that's almost full. 

probably a another hard drive or 256gb SSD. depending on how quickly you take up disk space is how i would make that decision. 

if you take up space quickly, get a WD 2 tb black drive.