Computer freezes/crashes at random

TheMightyCow

So I just upgraded my computer and at first everything worked great, but after a week or two I started have trouble playing Cs Go.

The computer started freezing and the speakers would put out this buzzing soundloop. There was nothing I could do, not even the reset button would work, I had to turn off the power supply. Ive tried downloading an older driver to my 660, and it seemed to work for like a week, until yesterday when the computer froze again, this time just completely random, I wasnt even using it at the time.

I know its not temperature related, so I dont know what to do right now. I noticed that when the computer froze, I couldnt even turn on the lights om my keyboard. However, the mouse led still worked.

I have these specs:

psu: Xfx 550w 

Gpu: Gtx 660

Motherboard: Asus H110M-A

Cpu: intel core i5 6500

Ram: 2x 4 Vengeance LPX DDR4

Ssd: 1 samsung 250gb and 1 Crucial M4 250 gb. 

Please tell me if you need more information, I probably forgot something!

Sorry for my bad english, Im tired and worried about my computer!

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

When you installed the older video driver, did you use the express install or the clean install option?   

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Hi, I finally joined the LTT community to ask a very similar question and I noticed only one similarity to our builds. the GTX 660. I have been trying to find the source of this problem for about a year now and I have tried so many different solutions. Its been driving me crazy trying to figure out what the problem is. I just spent some time diving into the Geforce forum, simply typing in gtx 660 crash was enough to fill more pages than i could read, all similar crash problems, all unanswered. It seemed as though nobody had any similar parts apart from the GPU. So it seems to be my semi-educated guess.

I dont know a lot about computers and i have had to learn a lot to even try and diagnose the problem. Still a lot to learn though.

Gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 660

Cpu: intel i5 3470

Motherboard: Biostar tz77B

Ram: 2x 4gb kingston

OS:windows 7 64 bit, recently upgraded to windows 10, didnt help.

HDD: 500gb WD, 1tb seagate

Ive tried updating my Bios, updating and rolling back pretty much every driver imaginable.

Ive tried using different PCI-E slots, currently in a 3.0 slot, the 2.0 slots didn't change anything

I spent a few days with my GPU out and it did not crash, but it is random and ill give it some more time and see if that is really what is causing the problem

Sorry that this didn't help, but maybe it can help lead to an answer from someone else.

1 hour ago, Rinit said:

Hi, I finally joined the LTT community to ask a very similar question and I noticed only one similarity to our builds. the GTX 660. I have been trying to find the source of this problem for about a year now and I have tried so many different solutions. Its been driving me crazy trying to figure out what the problem is. I just spent some time diving into the Geforce forum, simply typing in gtx 660 crash was enough to fill more pages than i could read, all similar crash problems, all unanswered. It seemed as though nobody had any similar parts apart from the GPU. So it seems to be my semi-educated guess.

I dont know a lot about computers and i have had to learn a lot to even try and diagnose the problem. Still a lot to learn though.

Gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 660

Cpu: intel i5 3470

Motherboard: Biostar tz77B

Ram: 2x 4gb kingston

OS:windows 7 64 bit, recently upgraded to windows 10, didnt help.

HDD: 500gb WD, 1tb seagate

Ive tried updating my Bios, updating and rolling back pretty much every driver imaginable.

Ive tried using different PCI-E slots, currently in a 3.0 slot, the 2.0 slots didn't change anything

I spent a few days with my GPU out and it did not crash, but it is random and ill give it some more time and see if that is really what is causing the problem

Sorry that this didn't help, but maybe it can help lead to an answer from someone else.

Every time Ive updated the 660 drivers I have run into problems. I have always fixed the crashes by downloading really old drivers. When using the old drivers in windows 7 the 660 has worked great for me. Im going to replace it of course, since it really bottlenecks the i5-6500, but I dont have the money right now.

18 hours ago, Sors said:

When you installed the older video driver, did you use the express install or the clean install option?   

I used express, because it claims it replaces the old drivers so I never use custom install. Im not even sure its the gpu that causes the crashes. Maybe it could be the motherboard? I find it kinda weird that the restart button wont work when the computer crashes.

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.